“First time and last time” 2 of 5 stars

Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   146 Old US Hwy 31, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Kaukauna
“First time and last time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night along with my in laws this past weekend. We had booked a King room and a Double Queen for my in laws. Let me start by saying I didn't expect the elegance of the Grand, but after reading previous reviews expected clean rooms and a comfortable stay. Upon arriving our rooms were ready so we each went to our rooms and they were clean and I was happy about this. Since it was upper 80's we immediately shut our window and turned the air conditioning on high. Our room had a heater with a fan on it and also an air conditioner. We first just turned the air conditioner on and figured we had to turn the air on to get it circulating. Needless to say, 4 hours later we still had no cold room...my in laws did (thank goodness). We went to the front desk and they were going to send maintenance so we decided to cool off in the pool. Pool area was older, but okay; however I was a little grossed out by the pool towels. Many had stains and/or holes. When we came back from swimming the room was still not any cooler and we went back to the front desk and the maintenance man walked to our room with us. He said the air was working, but due to the furniture positioning it would not circulate. I agreed with this, but than maybe furniture should be re-positioned before re-renting out the room. My husband went to the front desk and the manager did give us $50 off our room rate for the night because we still used the water and electric and there was no vacancy....I was fine with this as you almost could not camp for that rate. My husband and I ended up turning sideways on our king and sleeping with our faces toward the air all night to try to keep cool and just tried to make due. After a night of not sleeping well we both just wanted breakfast and a shower. I got into the shower and spent about 15 minutes being both scorched and frozen as I could not get an even temperature, my husband also experienced this. Again, my in laws did not (thank goodness). The last stop was breakfast. I cannot believe the good reviews on this! It was biscuits, cold gravy, scrambled eggs (in a 3 piece crockpot set), 2 cereals, wheat toast, or a bagel, yogurt, a waffle maker, juice, and milk. My husband had the eggs and made a waffle and said that was good. I tried the biscuits and cold gravy and after that just wanted to check out! My in laws also agreed with my assessment of breakfast not being so great.
I am not a pampered princess when I travel, but I expect a couple things: Clean room (this is why they got 2 stars from me), Passable breakfast if advertised, an even temperature in the shower in the morning, and air or heat that works. I do plan on a trip back to Mackinac Island, but I think I will just spend the extra money and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
TeresaDitta, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Let me start by apologizing once again for the ac unit. We have since put a new one in that room and it is cooling quit nicely I am sorry you didn't get to experience that during your stay. I will speak to the breakfast girl and make sure no one else has to experience cold food. It upsets me that I didn't get a chance to really "WOW" you with our service while you were here. I would love it if you would come back and give us a second chance to show you that, that isn't a typical stay. Again I do apologize and hope you enjoyed your vacation in Mackinaw City. Teresa-GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Menasha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

9 couples booked rooms so that we could attend a car show. NO ONE had a complaint. Everyone thought it was a great value for the money. The staff was courteous, the rooms were clean, the breakfasts were delicious, the pool was inviting, and the location was convenient. All were satisfied and they say you can't please everyone: well, the Thunderbird DID please everyone. Also, we were able to park our precious cars right outside of our rooms. Thank you

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Its nice to know all our hard work has been paying off. The staff and myself have been working very hard to maintain a clean and comfortable hotel to rest your head at. I am so glad your group had such a wonderful stay. We just can't ask for better guests!

Teresa GM
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My girl scout troop stayed here for a weekend. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very accomodating to our group. They gave us a very good group rate. They also provided us with a bon fire and S'Mores (there were enough S'Mores to feed an army!). They let us use the breakfast room for a buffet dinner that we brought in. The pool was clean. Fridge worked well, water pressure in shower was good. The motel is off the main drag but very close to ferries, food, shopping, etc. Many thanks to the staff of the Thunderbird Inn for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for the great comments, we enjoyed having you and your group. Doing the fun stuff like s'mores and a fire, thats the stuff that make this job really fun. I hope to see you guys back for another round next year.:)

Teresa GM
Owen Sound, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This was our third stay at the Thunderbird and although its not a Best Western anymore its still clean and affordable. We stayed 4 nights, after the first night we had a small problem and Teresa who is the General Manager looked after us right away, she is awesome and knows the business. The staff is younger and very helpful.
The morning breakfast is great, enjoyed the Belgium Waffles and the hospitality. Indoor pool is very clean and well kept.
Coming from Canada this is the only Hotel we have stayed at in Mackinaw and look forward to returning again next summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Well Thank you John for the nice compliments. I appricaiate the honest feedback. I have a saying here, I tell everyone, "I can't fix it if I don't know". Im glad we could accomodate you. If their is anything I can ever help with in the future, please don't hesitate letting me know.
Teresa-GM
Hartville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Nice staff, clean room, price was good.
Decor is dated, but what can you expect for the price?
The breakfast was very nice and the pool looked well kept (we did not use).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Well thank you again for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed everything and rest assured we are working on upgrading our furnishings to a bit more modern look.:) I hope to see you again on your next travles to Mackinaw.
Allendale, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Our room was clean and it was reasonable for the price we paid. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was okay but, there was no fruit. Several in our party enjoyed the pool.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
DeWitt, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I got the feeling the owners of this facility want to provide a positive experience. I can't fault the effort, but I didn't feel very comfortable here. The blue carpet, the blue bathroom walls, the cheap wallhangings & oldish light fixtures gave a dated appearance. The view of the dumpster out back added nothing to the ambience & I didn't care for the perfumy smell of the room (Love My Carpet?). The beds were too soft for my liking but I slept comfortably. The breakfast was adequate. I liked the 24-hour coffee/tea service. The price was right. Like all Mackinaw hotels, you're walking distance to most destinations. I'd recommend it if you want to save a buck and just need a place to sleep for the night. If you're vacationing in Mackinaw, I'd recommend someplace else.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!