My husband and I stayed here for one night along with my in laws this past weekend. We had booked a King room and a Double Queen for my in laws. Let me start by saying I didn't expect the elegance of the Grand, but after reading previous reviews expected clean rooms and a comfortable stay. Upon arriving our rooms were ready so we each went to our rooms and they were clean and I was happy about this. Since it was upper 80's we immediately shut our window and turned the air conditioning on high. Our room had a heater with a fan on it and also an air conditioner. We first just turned the air conditioner on and figured we had to turn the air on to get it circulating. Needless to say, 4 hours later we still had no cold room...my in laws did (thank goodness). We went to the front desk and they were going to send maintenance so we decided to cool off in the pool. Pool area was older, but okay; however I was a little grossed out by the pool towels. Many had stains and/or holes. When we came back from swimming the room was still not any cooler and we went back to the front desk and the maintenance man walked to our room with us. He said the air was working, but due to the furniture positioning it would not circulate. I agreed with this, but than maybe furniture should be re-positioned before re-renting out the room. My husband went to the front desk and the manager did give us $50 off our room rate for the night because we still used the water and electric and there was no vacancy....I was fine with this as you almost could not camp for that rate. My husband and I ended up turning sideways on our king and sleeping with our faces toward the air all night to try to keep cool and just tried to make due. After a night of not sleeping well we both just wanted breakfast and a shower. I got into the shower and spent about 15 minutes being both scorched and frozen as I could not get an even temperature, my husband also experienced this. Again, my in laws did not (thank goodness). The last stop was breakfast. I cannot believe the good reviews on this! It was biscuits, cold gravy, scrambled eggs (in a 3 piece crockpot set), 2 cereals, wheat toast, or a bagel, yogurt, a waffle maker, juice, and milk. My husband had the eggs and made a waffle and said that was good. I tried the biscuits and cold gravy and after that just wanted to check out! My in laws also agreed with my assessment of breakfast not being so great.
I am not a pampered princess when I travel, but I expect a couple things: Clean room (this is why they got 2 stars from me), Passable breakfast if advertised, an even temperature in the shower in the morning, and air or heat that works. I do plan on a trip back to Mackinac Island, but I think I will just spend the extra money and stay somewhere nicer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a Beautiful Boutique Property completely devoted to customer service and clean rooms. We provide all the things you have grown to love and trust from a hotel including free WIFI, free breakfast, an indoor pool, coffee makers, irons and ironing boards, cable TV and much more. We are AAA approved, Pet friendly, AARP accepted, along with many other discounts and very close to all local attractions including the ferry lines and water park. Here at the Thunderbird Inn we welcome everyone with a smile and we are confident you will leave with one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Thunderbird Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Mackinaw City
- Mackinaw City Best Western
- Best Western Thunderbird Hotel