“Wonderful Time!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Livonia, MI
“Wonderful Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Dockside Waterfront Hotel for 2 nights in August of 2005 (yea i took along time to write this review!) We arrived to the hotel before the check-in time but our room was already avialable. The check-in was fast and easy-and I was glad I made reservations in advance because the same room was going for $200+ ( I paid $120)! If you book directly with the hotel's website you can also add on free coupons. We stayed in the Double Queen Bed Lakefront with Balcony room which was on the second floor. The room was very clean and had a small fridge which was nice! Our balcony overlooked the beach and the lake. The hotel's beach is very well kept and even has 2 sundecks with lounge chairs. The pool area has an average sized hotel pool with a nice hot tub which is inside. Our stay included a free hot breakfast each morning- you could make your own waffles, (but get there early because there will be a line) and there was the typical free hotel breakfast- cereal, muffins, coffee, and juices. The hotel is located right next to the main shopping area and the ferries. I plan on staying at the Best Western Dockside Hotel again!

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Clinton Township, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

I made two separate reservations, one for 4 nights, and one for one additional night. Upon check in I cancelled the 5th night, told it was cancelled. My fault I did not obtain cancellation # or clerk's name. I was charged $104. as a No Show. Contacted BW Dockside - was told "we are not allowed to cancel reservations". There was no language barrier upon check in, - but when I called back with this issue, no one seemed to have a command of the English language. Submitted complaint with BW - after their review with BW Dockside - BW Dockside refuses to refund or offer a credit for a future stay. Read other reviews on Expedia website - eye opening - wish I had read these before I made my reservations.

Stayed June 2006
Lombard, Illinios
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

My family, Husband, 8 year old son, myself stayed here for 3 nights. We had a lakefront room with balcony. It was a pleasant room. We enjoyed the beach and how close everything was. It was our first trip to Mackinaw city and it was nice being able to walk to everything. The staff was very nice and the room was very clean.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

we had a room in the beachfront buildung which has been renovated not too long ago.
The elevator there is a little bit too slow because it is old. But the room on the third floor was very nice, everything was new and the view was wonderful. Room was very clean, beds comfortable.
I had a problem with the free high speed internet and complained to the front desk. They fixed the problem (i guess a wire in the main distributor of the building was loose) within a few hours. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes good service and a great price!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2006

I think that this hotel was conveinent to everything, it was right on the lake and near the ferries! I would rsnk it #1!

• Stayed June 2005
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2005

originally booked for the Hamilton but reservations were lost so got sent to the BW. Not impressed, internet service advertised(wireless) but could only get a connection in the lobby, hot breakfast was very blah!!! Would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

BOOKING: I called the motel directly to make the reservation. I told the clerk that my MAIN interest was a room with a spectacular VIEW of Lake Huron.. Our flight got in late and when we checked in our room was in the smelly BASEMENT (or below street level so you had to look UP for the view) and the view was of a parking lot and the back of a maintenance building.

ROOM CHANGE: The desk clerk said all the other rooms were booked. Said we MIGHT be able to get a different room the next day if WE called down to the front desk in the morning; which we did. A clerk told us to pack our things and the maid would move all our items. This was a hassle but were happy to move. When our items were moved the maids did not re-refrigerate our cold drinks and food (the food went bad). BUT we let that slide.

CARD KEYS: Two days later our credit card keys would not work . We walked over to the office and another rude clerk said that WE must have done something to the card keys for them not to work. Huh? BOTH keys? The rude clerk fixed the credit card keys ONLY after she left us STANDING there while she RUDELY answered the phones.

ROOM DETAILS: Upon entering the room on day 3 to freshen-up we noticed that there was NO soap and NO shampoo. I called the front desk and housekeeping brought shampoo but no soap. Earlier in the day, I had purchased a $9 bar of Indian made soap to give as a gift. I just opened that and used it.

LATE CHECK-OUT REQUEST: When we made the reservation we told the clerk that we would need a late check-out since our flight did not leave until later in the day. (Check out time was 10:00 a.m. ) She said that would NOT be a PROBLEM; but we were to bring it up AFTER we got here.
For FOUR days we kept asking about a late-check out. FINALLY, we spoke to the manager who said a late check-out was $10 per hour. NO ONE had ever told us that or we would not have stayed there.

• Stayed September 2005
Parkside Inn -  Bridgeside
Parkside Inn - Bridgeside
#21 of 41 in Mackinaw City
3.5 of 5 stars 120 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dockside Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!