“If You Want Night Shots, GO HERE!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Lighthouses, Landmarks
Livonia, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
“If You Want Night Shots, GO HERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Plenty of parking, and a few great angles for those looking for a lighthouse/bridge photograph for their collection. Also, the lot is open at night making it easy to pull in and walk down to the beach for night time exposures.

Visited September 2013

Ithaca, NY
3 attraction reviews
“a good stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a good stop if you have extra time. Otherwise, not much to see and an hour should be enough. The park would be good in a nice day.

Flatwoods, Kentucky, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful area to visit around the site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Lake Huron is a beautiful area and the history of the area is bountiful. This is our 1st visit to the area and we would come back again. The lighthouse has been well maintained and the guides are willing to make it a memorable experience. Take the time to walk to the top and enjoy the view !!!!!

Grand Haven, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
“Another lighthouse tower climb checked off the list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Sometime between our last trip to the straits in 2005 and now this lighthouse's refurbishing was completed and opened to the public. Knowing that before we left home it was on my list of places to hit this trip.
As luck would have it we'd planned on visiting the fort during the morning hours, but intermittent rain postponed that until the afternoon so while I waited for the sun to return I decided to make my visit here.
After paying my $6.50 (well worth it) I spent some time in the gift shop which had lots of nice stuff, but being a T-shirt collector I was disappointed not to be able to find a single short sleeved shirt in my size. A hazard of coming late in the season I suppose.
Once I got to the lighthouse itself I took my time going from room to room, reading all the display materials and photographing the different rooms. Somehow I failed to discover in advance that there is an actually person, dressed up in lighthouse keeper gear, that takes you up the tower to check out the view. While we were up there he shared many interesting factoids regarding the light itself and shipwrecks that lay thruout the straits area. Great stuff! My only regret was not thinking quick enough to ask the keeper for a pic in front of the fresnel lens. He was off and gone on another tour.
I'd definitely recommend taking the time to visit this lighthouse the next time you're in Mackinaw City.

Canton Michigan
38 attraction reviews
“Walk to the top..................and just look!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Beautiful lighthouse and cute gift shop and an awesome walking and picnic park to enjoy the big mac. History is presented well here and treat yourself and family to group tickets to be sure to take in all this area has to offer.

Visited October 2012