“Close to Dark Sky Preserve” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flamingo Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Flamingo Motel
You added Flamingo Motel to your Saves list
13959 Mackinaw Terrace, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Brighton, Michigan
“Close to Dark Sky Preserve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Great location. I went up to experience the Dark Sky preserve at the Headlands, the Flamingo is right down the road. The room I had was clean and neat. The folks running this establishment also have a gourmet pizza place in Downtown Mackinaw. My whole experience was pleasant.

Room Tip: Only stayed here once so I don't know about the other rooms. I was in #102 and it was fine.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

It looked great online and the lady was nice on the phone; we got there and it was completely different....Some young lady checked us in, come to find out later she was new and didn't check us in properly or bill us like she said she had. Then when I did get billed by the owner, it was $10 bucks higher a night than quoted. It was for the sleeper sofa my daughter (who's 10) decided to open up - She thought it would be fun. Well, the owner considered it another bed and that jacks your room rate up another $10.00 a night! This doesn't sound like much but then your up to $80.00 a night and this place is definitely not worth it. Especially when the owner gets confrontational with you instead of being accomodating because you didn't know this information. I'm sorry but in any other hotel, they call this a suit and your free to use the sofa! Needless to say, we won't be back and we never did stay! We got our money back and left for the Days Inn BridgeView were they're accomodating and very nice!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Definitely a keeper! I don't know what the other reviewer was talking about. The rooms are clean and there are no spiders etc. Now with people smoking outside as oppose to in rooms I was thinking that might be an issue when I was outdoors as I am a nonsmoker. However there are plenty of ash trays and the employees make sure they are emptied and replaced and it didn' interfere with the overall wonderful experience. I was thrilled to find this little gem. Everyone is kind and friendly and go the extra mile to make our stay special. I totally recommend the Flamingo Motel. We love the campfires and the beautiful pool. The kids loved the little playground. So glad I l came and have since returned a few more times...every chance we are in the area.

Room Tip: Book in advance but worth a try to make a reservation last minute if necessary
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We were charged $82 for a 3 bedroom room, which is not a bad price, but the accomodations were actually lousy. I have stayed at the Flamingo for many years off and on, 2 years ago it was a great place as new owners had taken over and I could see the improvements. This year...ant and spider infested room, tepid hot water in the bathroom sink, dirty coffee pot, damp smell (we were on the lower level) and all and all disappointed as it seems that the place is going downhill again. The pool, playground for young children, and the nightly fires are still good. TV service was lousy. Two years ago when I stayed with my 3 little granddaughters there was movies to choose from for them...not this year. We had 4 channels that had nothing on. Didn't seem to be much "hands on" by the owners, letting some young people run the show. When I called to rearrange an arrival and leave date, the person answering the phone just had to let me know that it was just so busy and whatever else were her problems were. Frankly I was not interested in how busy her day was, I just needed an answer. She did call me back with the confirmation that I could change our dates, but I still was not very confident that the issue had been taken care of.

The hotel advertises Free WIFI and a heated pool. The heat in the pool is not turned on till someone requests it and the WIFI was not up and running and there was no one in the office at night the whole time we stayed that we could contact. The next day, the WIFI was up but apparently turned off after 10 p.m. There was a radio that you supposedly could contact someone with, but no one ever answered.

If you don't mind a more "campground" feel Flamingo might fit what you are looking for. If you want more of an upgraded experience, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

There were probably about 15 of us all together, of which we had two 3 "bed", rooms , with a total of 10 people, the rest of our group decided to stay somewhere else, (too bad for them since their pool didn't even have water, hehehe). First of all, I cannot say enough about the hospitality that the owners, Fay & Jay showed us. They are great and will go as far as they want to in this business. Even the teenagers that were with us had a great time. We especially liked the camp fires (complete with s'mores) and the heated pool, which was very nice after a long day of sight seeing. Their rates for their rooms will not break the bank either, they were VERY reasonable. While there we even got to meet the previous owner, who was a very nice gentleman and even gave us a little history on the place. I really hate to write this review because once you discover this little gem, I will HAVE to make sure that I call ahead to make my reservation, because I will be totally surprised if they are not all booked up. I loved the cozy, make yourself at home, feeling. We will never stay any where else when we are in town, Jay & Fay have created loyal customers out of us, just by the way they treated us when we were there for the weekend. We will be back again and again. I am already trying to figure out when we can return this year and we already booked our room for the one date that we know for sure that we will be in town next year for at least the weekend. By the way the other 5 people that were with us that stayed some place else,........they were jelous every day, listening to how much fun we had once we all went our separate ways in the evening to return to our hotels. I bet next time they will book rooms at the flamingo too, so they don't miss out on everything like they did this time.
You should also check out Mama Mia's while in Mackinaw City too (hint: you will get the same great hospitality)

• Stayed August 2009
Maricopa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I just returned from visiting family in Michigan. While we were there we went on a whirlwind tour of western Michigan, starting in Mackinaw City, St. Ignace and Mackinac Island. We originally wanted to stay on the island, but found it to be too expensive. After we saw the reviews for this hotel on Trip Adviser, we decided to stay here.

I called a few days before we left on our trip to inquire about the property. The lady on the phone was very nice and answered all of my questions. She told me about the heated pool, the bonfire with s'mores at night, coffee and donuts in the morning, the choice of rooms and beds, told me the rooms upstairs had a/c while the downstairs didn't, and said we had the choice of smoking or non-smoking, all for $59 a night. I told her I would discuss it with my husband and call back later to make reservations. The day before we drove to Mackinaw City, I called back to make a reservation. Luckily the 4th of July crowd just left so there was plenty of availability. I asked if we could check in early so that we wouldn't have to leave our things in the car when we visited the island, and she said that it wouldn't be a problem.

Sure enough, when we arrived around 1 pm our room was ready. Unfortunately, they gave us a smoking room, and we asked for a non-smoking room when making our reservation. Luckily, the room didn't smell too bad, so we kept it. The hotel is older, but it's very clean. Our room had a queen size bed, a little table with chairs, microwave, refrigerator, small closet, and a small bathroom with a toilet, sink and very small shower. There were a couple of cigarette burns in the carpet, but they were small and almost unnoticeable. It also had a ceiling fan, which we did not use, and a heater, which we did use since it dropped to 50 at night (and back home it's a toasty 110.) Overall it's a clean, quite, comfortable room for a very affordable price.

The hotel was very easy to find. It's just a few miles south of the downtown Mackinaw City, but it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. It must be because of the 40 wooded acres the hotel sits on. They do have some trails in the woods, but we didn't have time to explore them. We also did not get to enjoy the pool or bonfire as it was pouring rain when we returned from the island. Do not hesitate to ask the hotel staff for recommendations and suggestions. They are very knowledgeable about the area and are more than happy to share.

We are already making plans to visit again next summer, and will certainly consider the Flamingo Hotel for our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were going to stay at the KOA but decided to stop in at this cute motel to see what the rate was. The owner's are Fay and Jay. Fay greeted us at the front desk and offered my husband a coupon she had for the discounted price, so with tax our total was just $43.15! The KOA charges $27 so we figured it was a good deal. The rooms are Super Clean (really), I could not see dust in the corners of the bathroom or window seals! The room does have a musty smell initially but you don't notice after being in it for a minute or two. They also have free wifi which is how I am writing this review right now. We used the pool, it was refreshing. At night they had a bon-fire and even brought out marshmellows and roasting sticks for us! They are continuing to update the motel, Fay told me they just started in June/July, eventually new carpet etc... right now the carpet is Super Clean but old. Great place I highly recommend it if you like friendly owners who will tell you all about the free things to do in Mackinac City/Island, for example Darrow's Family Restaurant, which we will try tomorrow. Stay here, it's Great!

• Liked — Conversation with Fay and Jay and other travelers at the bon-fire.
  • Disliked — initial Musty Smell of room which will probably be taken care of when the carpet is replaced, she said soon!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Flamingo Motel? Share your experiences!