“Nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lamplighter Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Lamplighter Motel
You added Lamplighter Motel to your Saves list
303 E Jamet St, P.O. Box 719, Mackinaw City, MI   |
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Georgia
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

Great place to stay. It was very clean. Only about two blocks to town and the lake. Terry keeps the place in A++++ condtion.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sussex, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

I stayed at The Lamplighter Motel based on the previous reviews on this website and was not disappointed in the least. The grounds were immaculate and the efficiency I had was more than adequate for my needs. With gas prices being what they are, it was nice to be able to park the vehicle and walk to everything. Terry, the owner, was wonderful and if you needed anything, he got it done and always with a smile. And yes, he actually has fires at night. So nice to sit around the fire with other guests and just relax. If you don't need a waterpark, pool, big buffet breakfast, etc., this is the place to stay. Should the opportunity arise where I can return to the Mackinaw City area, I will definitely stay here. Well done, Terry!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Quite a delay in this review, but my wife and I arranged a last minute trip to reward ourselves over Memorial Day weekend. We spent many weekends at Mackinaw and decided that we would based our choice of motels on price, since most of our time would be out exploring. This was our first pleasant surprise: the motel was about half the price of all others. We checked TripAdvisor and saw a good review or two of The Lamplighter so we booked the room. I was leery about the place because of the low price, the fact that it was an older motel and the thought that the themed rooms would be tacky, but upon arrival the nice surprises continued. As others have mentioned, the owners were extremely friendly, helpful and very nice people. There is not a better location in the area: two blocks to the Sheppler dock and two blocks to the main street, and located on a quiet sidestreet. We had a theme room: ours was decorated in a garden motif and really was tastefully done using some clever ideas. Additionally, this was probably the cleanest room I've ever had and the grounds were impeccable! I don't think it was this neat the day it opened! It got to the point where I joked with my wife about the conditions and started out to prove to her that the place wasn't perfect; the best I could do was an extremely small chip in the paint on the sign (and I wouldn't doubt if that were repaired the day we left!)
I normally avoid superlatives, but this place earns them. We mingled with some other guests, and all of them were repeat customers; they all felt as we did and confirmed our observations. The best evidence of the good value is that this place had no vacancies, yet all the other properties in the area had plenty of rooms.
There are only two drawbacks that I can think of. First, our room was smaller than most that we've had elsewhere, but we did have two separate rooms. This came in handy when I got up before dawn for the bridge run and didn't disturb my wife while getting ready. The second negative is that my wife now measures our house against the standards of cleanliness and neatness of the Lamplighter! I'm cursed!
If you're going to vacation in the Straits area I would unconditionally recommend the Lamplighter; okay, there is one condition: please leave us one room over Memorial Day weekend!

• Liked — Tie between value, location, cleanliness and hospitality
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

Just returned from a weekend stay at this little gem of a motel. The good reviews on this site helped my wife and I decide to stay here, and we were not disappointed. We found everything to be exactly as other reviewers have stated. We stayed in the "Somewhere In Time" themed room. Very Nice! Beautifully decorated and cozy, the Victorian furnishings were a bit of a tight fit in the room, but not uncomfortably so. Everything about the room was immaculate. No fear to walk barefoot on the floors here. The bed was clean, fresh, and comfortable. The shower was hot, the toilet worked, the sink didn't drip. The whole property sparkled and reflected the caring concern and pride of the owners. We'll surely stay here again.

• Liked — The value, cleanliness, decor, and peacefulness
  • Disliked — Really no negative comments
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We stayed at the Lamplighter early September. I was tired of the "CHAIN TYPE HOTELS"....they are all alike.....not open in the winter and they really don't clean these places very well. The Lamplighter was very clean and well maintained. It was your typical 60's type motel. Terry is very nice and willing to help with anything you need. Well kept place within walking distance of shops and the lake. We felt the room we had was just alittle tight for us. No sitting area for an evening of relaxation. Great place if you want a clean reasonable priced family owned place. They do not have CB, but they have a coffee maker and frig in the room. Try breakfast at the Admirals table. Get their special...Really good and cheap. All and all would stay again on our way to Mackinaw Island. Okay for an overnight stay, but not longer.

• Liked — One of the cleanest hotel in Mackinaw
  • Disliked — Tight quaters for us
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

This is one of those older motel properties that used to dot the roadside back before the days of interstates. That said, this one is exquisitely maintained. Everything in the room was exceptionally clean, and it was very obvious that the husband and wife team who own and run the property have taken great pains to make sure that everything is geared toward a comfortable and pleasant stay.
The room I reserved was one of the themed rooms, and it had a main room with a bed, TV, refrigerator, etc. plus another bedroom. Space is tight as this is an older style hotel, but everything worked and was spotlessly clean. My only complaint with the room is that the mattress was way too firm for my taste, but that is a personal preference. Others might not be bothered by this. The grounds are well-maintained and planted with beautiful flowers. I think that a person can't find a better value in Mackinaw City, and the location is within easy walking distance of the main shopping area or the water.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Stayed at the Lampligher on a Friday night in July. We made the reservation at the last minute and were lucky to get the last room available, which was an efficiency. Obviously, the secret is getting out about this place. Since the room was an efficiency it had a small kitchen with a stove, refrigerator, and a microwave. Because it was an efficiency, the bed was only full size but it was comfortable enough for two to sleep in.

All the rooms are different and I think the efficiency room was the only room that had a kitchen. Some of the rooms are theme rooms (Somewhere in Time room, garden room, lighthouse room, granny room, etc) and it would have been interesting to see the insides of these rooms.

What impressed me the most about this property was its cleanliness and the way it was maintained. Many motels of this age are not in good shape and remind me of the Bates Motel but this hotel has either been renovated recently or it has been maintained superbly. We stayed on Mackinac Island the next night and our hotel there was not nearly as clean even though it cost 2 1/2 times as much.

Another great thing about this hotel is its location. It is only two blocks away from the lake and two blocks from downtown. However, because it does not sit right on the main shopping strip it is a very quiet and restful place to sleep.

Finally, you can't beat the price for this hotel, especially when you compare it to the chain hotels that make up most of its competition. We were there during the 50th Anniversay of the Mackinac Bridge weekend and our room was $20-40 chepaer than the chain hotels' rates in the city and hundreds of dollars less than the hotels on Mackinac Island.

I highly recommend this hotel because of its great value. You can't do much better than this hotel in Mackinac City and even the fancier hotels on Mackinac Island could learn a few lessons about this place.

• Liked — Its cleanliness
  • Disliked — The small bed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lamplighter Motel? Share your experiences!