“Great Location, Reasonable Rates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lamplighter Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Lamplighter Motel
Save Saved
You added Lamplighter Motel to your Saves list
303 E Jamet St, P.O. Box 719, Mackinaw City, MI   |
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
ROCKFORD
“Great Location, Reasonable Rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

A group of 10 of us stayed at this motel from October 5 to 7. The owner, Terry, will bend over backwards to make your stay pleasant. We were in walking distance of two blocks to the downtown Mackinaw City shopping and restaurant area and close to the ferries to Mac Island. The rooms are themed, though small. My husband and I were in an efficiency room that had a double bed, a living room area with a pull out couch, a small kitchen with utensils, plates, and pans for cooking on a stove. There was also a coffee maker and microwave in this unit. The bonus part was that the rates were less than the rooms with two double beds or a queen bed. I recommend this motel to anyone who wants to experience Mac City or the Island.

Room Tip: There are only 11 rooms, so if you are thinking about going in high season, I would book early. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Rossville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here just one night before going to the island for 3 days and it worked very well for us. The key to staying at this type of hotel is in your expectations. If you want a clean quiet room with a decent bed and a functional bathroom and don't want to spend a lot, this may be your answer. We have this on our list of places to return to, however we may need to have a bed discussion with the friendly folks in the office next time. Our bed was just okay, but not great; I wonder if they have some better ones in other rooms? We were in room #1.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

As per a previous reviewer, there were things to like about the Lamplighter, but based on the reviews in TripAdvisor I was expecting more.

I stayed in the Garden room. The Garden Room consists of two rooms, one of which is a designated bedroom, the other is a bedroom/ living room. A Jack and Jill bathroom is between both rooms. The air conditioning unit is in the bedroom/ living room; that room gets VERY cold when the second bedroom is comfortable. The rooms were small and claustrophobic and the bathroom was even smaller. The room is sorely in need of an update and refurbishment. I've stayed in Theme room hotels, but the condition of this room looks like it was last decorated in the early 1980s (see pictures). It also has some maintenance issues: broken door frames, worn and beaten thresholds, tattered blinds and doors (see pictures). Overall the room was clean, if you don't look in the corners (dark with dust) or under the beds (Cobwebs. I'm NOT in the habit of looking, but my makeup rolled under the bed! ). I liked that the room had a small refrigerator and microwave.

Terry and Jennifer were very friendly and helpful. I saw Terry sitting and chatting with guests several times, and he called everyone by their first name, which I thought was a nice touch.

I liked the central location. I parked my car and didn't move it until I left. They also have bicycles to use at no additional cost, which I used several times. Wi fi was hot and cold.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is certainly no fancy place, let's get that out of the way. It is a good place to save money on your stay (just plan on going out for breakfast, or stay in Granny's Cottage and bring your own food). My husband and I stayed in Granny's Cottage for a couple nights during our anniversary week. The room was clean, Terry was very friendly, and we felt pretty comfortable the whole time. If we come back, I will probably get a different room as realistically, we were not going to use the kitchen unit (which would be nice to have for a longer stay). Also, we visited in May and there were a number of bugs at night, so make sure to run into your room to keep the mosquitoes out!

Mackinaw City is a teeny place, and you can walk just about anywhere you need to go from the Lamplighter, so great location. Stay here!

Room Tip: Pick a themed room and see the website for pictures.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My 10-year-old son and I stayed in "Granny's Cottage" for two nights at the midway point of our three week roadtrip in July, and couldn't have been happier with our accomodations. Terry and Jennifer, the owners, were the perfect hosts and made our stay so enjoyable!

Our unit had a full kitchen, so we were able to prepare breakfast in the morning. There was a queen bed and a separate area with a sleeper. The bathroom, like the entire unit, was immaculate, with oversized, fluffy towels. Free wi-fi worked great! The main street, with lots of shops and restaurants, was within walking distance, as was Shepler's Ferry.

I can't say enough about the hospitality extended by the owners...my son helped Terry build his evening bonfire, and then enjoyed chatting with all of the other guests. And he really got a kick out of the restored 1939 Buick...Terry even took us out in the car and we got a personalized tour of the area! We hope to return to the area again, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

After reading reviews of some of the "big chain" hotels, we decided the make our reservations at the Lamplighter Motel. Terry, one of the owners, was very upfront about the style and size of the rooms. The rates were just right without braking the bank. Almost every review gave very good marks. The motel is located in a very quiet area, close to all the shopping and restaurants. Each room has a different theme. We stayed in the Garden room which consisted of two rooms, 1 queen bed and 1 double bed. The room was decorated just as one would expect, like a garden! The rooms and bathroom were small however very clean. A microwave, small refrig and coffee maker were supplied in our room. Our friends stayed in "somewhere in time" room with a queen poster bed. The guests staying at the motel were all repeats and had nothing but wonderful things to say about the property. Terry, the owner, plus other guests were sitting around a outdoor firepit just enjoying the weather and sharing stories. The gounds of the motel are beautiful, clean, plenty of parking and free internet. We only stayed one night however wished that we stayed an additional night. The motel is located close to the ferry service to Mackinaw Island. There are only 11 units for rent so besure to make your reservation early.
Terry and his wife, Jennifer were very helpful with information regarding ferry service, dining, shopping, etc. This was a great change from the big chains!

Room Tip: This motel requires 48 hour cancellation notice. They accept Visa and Master Card only. I found Am...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

the only room available is a small double room. In fact the owner, Terry, mentioned the size of the room twice during the course of the conversation. I thought about it and decided the price was right so we booked it. As we pulled up to the front of this very cute and cozy motel with all the flowers I was at once put at ease. Yes, the room was small, but it's not as if I wasn't told beforehand. So enough about the size of the room and on to what this little place is. It's clean, lovely, peaceful and fun. At about 9:30 pm Terry starts a campfire and one by one the other people staying at the motel join the circle. One couple comes to the Lamplighter once a year for a week and does day trips to nearby attractions. Another couple came north from Kansas to get away from the heat. There were several couples within a short period of time and we all shared our stories about where we had been and where we were going and become kindred spirits. It was wonderful to hear the impressions of others. What was also especially nice is to share your experiences with people from all over and realize we are so different and yet so much alike. Terry's wife, Jen, joined us with their two little dachshunds who slept on pillows at their feet. When you have been traveling for a couple of weeks by yourselves and have an opportunity to share your stories with others it is refreshing. It's almost like group therapy for meandering travelers. We laughed quite a bit about mishaps along the way. By the end of the evening you are part of an unique experience you could not have had anywhere else. This place is not just about a place to lay your head at night but about the entire experience. Nice people with lots to share. You are not going to find this at the Econo Lodge or Super 8. If I am ever in this area again, I will be sure to stay here. I hope you do too. By the way, the motel is within walking distance of the main thoroughfare and waterside park. It's also very close to the ferries to Mackinac Island. Life is good at the Lamplighter Motel! By the way, Terry and Jen take care of everything...the housekeeping, landscaping, reservations and do a superior job of it. Kudos to them.

Room Tip: There are themed rooms and you might want to request one of those, but my main advice would be to jo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lamplighter Motel? Share your experiences!