“Worth every penny- What a view from the front lawn of the bridge.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of American Boutique Inn - Lakeview

You added American Boutique Inn - Lakeview to your Saves list
American Boutique Inn - Lakeview
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   517 N Huron Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
“Worth every penny- What a view from the front lawn of the bridge.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June of 2013. I was impressed with the friendliness of not just the owners, but the other guest we met during breakfast. My idea of a nice vacation- a clean room, budget friendly, and close to entertainment/shops/dinning.This place hit all 3! We were a tad early checking in, but the owner gave us a map pointing out things to see and we were happy to wander around the city after such a long ride up. The room smelled fresh- yes the tub/toilet room was small-but how long are you actually spending in there.Plenty of room for plugging in Iphone/Ipad/computer/curling iron- made me happy. We had a bottom room with the pool right outside the door. Water was nicely heated to 88-and very clean. The breakfast was just enough to get us ready for the day. They even had discount tickets for the ferry to the Island, cheaper then the coupon book. The yard was beautiful-had a smoking area off the side yard with chairs. We walked up to the shops and had dinner and shopped. Upon arriving back at dusk, a lighted tree shown the way.. Even at dark the place was very home like.
I would love to return and spend more time.........Take a chance on this place, I did & I was happy I did!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked a themed room for three nights in mid-June. After reading so many varied reviews I admit to being a little nervous about my choice. In the end, this is a place we enjoyed and would stay at again.
Give me a clean room, a comfy bed, plenty of hot water, and enough electric plugs to recharge phones/computers and I'm happy. We found all of that at the American Boutique and more. The continental breakfast as well as the wine/cheese hour in the evenings were charming opportunities to chat with fellow guests and gave a B&B feel to the motel.
The location is excellent, just crossing the street puts you in the park adjacent to the lighthouse and the bridge. We could see the bridge towers through the trees from our room. Less than a 5 minute walk puts you at Shepler's Ferry dock, there's even a shuttle if that's too far for you.
Although we didn't use the pool, many guests did as it was clean and kept fairly warm. If you can envision the standard 2 story 70's era motel you have a pretty good idea of the room layouts. Some reviews have criticized the small bathrooms. They are indeed small but the sink/mirror area is outside the bath area so we didn't see that as an issue. The bath area had a clean updated look and the canopied bed was extremely comfortable.
The staff was friendly and helpful, all in all a very nice place to stay.

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This inn is a GREAT place! Right across the street from multiple parks along the Lake Huron shore so that you can view the Mackinac Bridge during the day or night. Super clean room, beautifully landscaped property--perfect for sitting outside in the fresh air. We walked everywhere from this location. The owner is super-friendly and personally follows up on calls, etc. There's even a little store just down the street that sells Hudsonville ice cream--inexpensively. We walked to get an ice cream cone each evening and then sat in the park along the beach enjoying the lake and bridge. My wife and I made trips to Mackinaw Island and Sault Ste Marie from here -- incredibly convenient. We would return here in a heart beat.

Pineville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Small motel turned into a boutique inn. Nice rooms, simple breakfast, great location with easy access to Shepler's and Fort Michilmackinac and the Lighthouse. Has a pool with warm water but we have too many things to do and its almost always pretty chilly.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs choose a lower level room.
Niles, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just came back from visting mackinaw. Our stay at the hotel was wonderful. We love it here, the location is perfect. Once you arrive you can then walk to everything. A short walk to town and to get on the ferry. Also, there is a beautiful park across the way with incredible views of the bridge. They now serve continental breakfast and have a wine/cheese tasting if you book a themed room. The breakfast was very good. We will always stay here in the future. Thank you for making our stay so nice. See you again hopefully soon!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time or money searching for a place to stay. This is family owned and operated...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I take my Mother on a short trip every year for her birthday, and this year she chose Mackinaw. We spent one night in the City before heading over to the Island for another night. We stayed at the American Boutique Inn and for the most part we really enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately there was a lot of fog in the city that day and we couldn't see the bridge and the fog never lifted. Also, the midges (reminded me of mosquitoes with larger wings) were horrible. Neither of these things were the fault of the hotel, of course, but they did lessen the enjoyment of our stay. We had hoped to be able to walk over to the lighthouse, see the lights come on the bridge at night, etc. but we weren't able to. Even though the midges don't bite, they were terribly annoying.

But the hotel was wonderful. The owner was very pleasant and kind. And, as we are both cat lovers we so enjoyed meeting and petting the resident cat, Spenser. What a sweetheart! I had reserved a themed room and we were given "Bed of Roses." The room was a bit small, but decorately very nicely, and in super great condition, and best of all was extremely clean. We loved all the "homey" touches such as embroidered roses on the window curtain, hand painted nightstand, wicker basket full of perfectly rolled fluffy white towels (along with a hairdryer), and many other special decorating "touches." The beds each had 4 pillows. The TV was on the smaller side and the local channels were a bit fuzzy but other channels came in just fine. The bath was a split-bath, which I prefer as I always like having the sink just outside the door of the bathroom. The only suggestions for the bathroom would be a curved shower rod so the shower curtain isn't as "friendly" with you, and a hook on the back of the door for your robe/clothes. Other than that the room was very, very nice. The hotel seemed more like a quaint "bed and breakfast." Not a cookie-cutter-big-chain style at all.

We went to the Serendipity Room for breakfast the next morning (through the French doors in the small lobby) and appreciated the decor in that room as well too. It's obvious the owners care a lot about their business and take special care in the maintenance and upkeep. Spenser greeted us and posed so nicely in the chair for pictures. The owner poured us each a glass of orange juice. There were bagels, donuts, sweet rolls, 3 or 4 kinds of cereal with milk, coffee, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. We enjoyed our breakfast while chatting with the owner. My only slight negative about the breakfast was that there really wasn't much to choose from if you're avoiding wheat gluten. Oatmeal would have been welcomed, but I did enjoy the yogurt and an egg. And the coffee was hot and fresh. And there was soft music playing which added to the relaxed feel of the room. We were able to chat with the owner which was enjoyable.

When we checked out we braved the bugs and managed to get a few pictures of the outside. The landscaping is very nice, with a pretty water fountain and several wooden swings. Had the weather cooperated a little better, and there were no midges, we would have so enjoyed sitting in one of those swings for awhile. But, the fog and the bugs (the owner said they last about 2 weeks) have just made me want to go back...maybe in the fall...to experience staying in another of their lovely themed rooms, and be able to enjoy the outdoors. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The room was small but very comfortable. The proprietors are very friendly. I had forgotten my tooth brush and asked where the closest drug store was. When I said it was a tooth brush I needed, she offered me one and refused payment for it. We were just across the street from the water. Enjoyed both a beautiful sunset and a sunrise. Both worth waiting for. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to American Boutique Inn - Lakeview? Share your experiences!