“Loved our stay here” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
South Holland, IL
“Loved our stay here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We spent three nights at this hotel in mid September. I was initially a bit afraid to reserve here after reading some of the very negative reviews, but since we always stay at Choice Hotels and have never had a problem, I decided to give this one a go. I was not disappointed. It was a very pleasant stay.

SERVICE: There was a bit of a misunderstanding at check-in regarding our room. It turns out that it was MY misunderstanding- not the hotels, but the staff there did everything they could to solve the problem and make us happy. Each morning, I would go down to the lobby and get our daily wristbands for the pool, and I was greeted BY NAME every time! All of the staff we encountered were friendly and willing to help in any way to make our stay a pleasant one.

ROOM: We booked a standard room. Our room was clean and had a beautiful lake view. I highly recommend the lake view if it's available! The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but was adequate for our needs. At check in, we were given the option of upgrading to a larger suite for a nominal fee, and I was allowed to look at that room also. It was a beautiful, spacious room, but the view was not quite as great as the one in the standard room, so in the end we chose to stay with the smaller room. I was not disappointed. Since I'm an early riser, one of my favorite parts of the trip was sitting on the balcony watching the sun come up over the island. It's all about what is most important to you, and I chose the view over additional space. The balcony was great... plenty of room for the four of us to be outside comfortably. Very clean. It was not one of those silly little fake ones that give you barely enough room to stand on. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave, which came in very handy since most of the dining options there are a bit on the high side for a family on a budget.

BREAKFAST: The breakfast was large and plentiful. There was yogurt, fruit, cereals, breads, waffles, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal and a wide assortment of beverages. Lots of choices for anyone. The food tasted okay, about as good as you would get in any hotel. I visited the breakfast area several times each morning as each of my kids awoke, and each time it appeared just as plentiful as it did early on. The staff there were constantly caring for the food and the tables. I do know that the Econolodge next door also uses this hotel for the breakfast and the pool area. During our visit (off-season) there was plenty of room, but I don't know if this is an issue during the summer or not.

POOL/WATERPARK: The pool was very nice. The water temperature was cool enough to be refreshing, but not so cold you'd get chilled. The hot tub was the biggest I've ever seen and was set at just the right temperature. Fantastic! There is also a sauna. The waterpark is large, but designed mostly for young children. My son is a bit old for it, but decided to check it out anyway since there were no small kids around. He liked the tipping bucket, and even climbed a slide or two just for old times sake. It was not crowded at all during our visit.

EXERCISE ROOM/LAUNDRY: One son was very concerned he would not be able to work out while we were there, and so he was pleasantly surprised to find the exercise room filled with usable equiptment. He was even able to have total control of the tv remote control as he did his miles on the treadmill. I also decided to do some laundry while we were there to avoid having a mountain of dirty clothes to come back to. The location of the laundry room was so convenient to the breakfast and exercise areas that I was able to pop it in, wait for everyone to finish what they were doing and have it all done by the time we returned to the room. Very convenient.

LOCATION: This hotel is located directly across the street from both the Arnold and Star Line ferry boat docks. The website says this hotel is walking distance to all the shopping. It is, but it is a fairly long walk, although a pleasant one. The end of the main shopping area is probably at least a mile away, and keep in mind you still have to walk back. However, it is within walking distance if you are healthy enough to walk a couple of miles. There are some nice shopping areas. Keep in mind that this hotel is called lakeVIEW- it is not on the lake FRONT. The lake is actually across the street. Not a big deal, but don't think you will be right on the water. The private beach is also across the street at the Ramada. It is a nice beach, very small, but a nice peaceful place to sit and listen to the waves.

OVERALL: No hotel is perfect and I'm not going to pretend this one was. There are always things you can find to make a hotel seem less than wonderful. Yes, there were some stains on the hallway carpets. One hallway smelled like mildew because a guest flooded it. They were working on the problem and had made great improvements by the time we left. For us, having no problems at check-in or out, a friendly, helpful staff, a nice pool, decent breakfast and most of all, a clean comfortable room were the most important tnings. All of these things were fine, and that made a very pleasant stay for us.
We had a wonderful trip and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Coldwater, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I do not agree with many of the negative review of this hotel. The reservation that I made on line was exactly as requested. This hotel is older than some, and some things could use some updating, but did not bother us at all. We were somewhat surprised at the large size of our room. We had two queen beds and had plenty of room for a roll-away, table, chairs and an easy overstuffed chair. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and well-supplied with many towels and wash cloths.

On a previous trip, I had stayed at Comfort Inn Suites in San Antonio, Texas, so I made reservations with confidence that the Comfort Inn Suites in Mackinaw City Michigan would be equally as good, and it was.

In addition, the free breakfast was all we could ask for, and more. Fresh fruit, canned fruit, yogurt, apple juice, coffee, breads, bagels, sausages, biscuits and gravy, and scrambled eggs were served. All the food items were continually restocked.

The location of the hotel is right across the street from one of the ferry lines which take you to Mackinaw Island. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My daughter and I were rained out of our tent and we went to the closest hotel which was Comfort Suites. It was 8:30am and we were unable to see the room. The lobby looked OK so I decided to take the room. I gave them my credit card and they saved us a room for that night. We walked to a separate area where there were public bathrooms and the hallways smelled of smoke and the bathroom smelled of sewer. I went right back (approx 4-5min after checking in) to the desk and told them that I did not want to stay there. I was told that it was too bad and would not get refunded my money. I stated my case to the front desk attendant and she told me that they had me in the system and that I could not change my mind.. There was a man sitting there saying nothing and I proceeded to ask to speak to the manager. After she gestured to him, he reluctantly admitted that he was the manager and he would not give my money back. (159 dollars). I tried to call when I got home to see if they had reconsidered because they did not save that room for me and probably rented it out after I was there. He told me he would call me back and never did. I asked if I could speak to a District Manager and was refused that information. I have given up and taken the route of reporting this to my VISA company which is filing a dispute with them. I would never stay in another Comfort Suites ever again. We ended up checking into Holiday Inn Express in Mackinaw City. The people there were very nice, the pool was WARM, the rooms were clean. I only wish I would have went there first!!!!!

Novi, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We Ha A Death In Our Family And Could Not Make Our Stay And We Were Charged The No Show Rate Of $203.00. We Had Cancelled but in the midst of everything going on I did not write down the cancellation number because of course there are other things on your mind. Noticed my credit card was minus $202.00 and called the hotel and was told to call back and talk to Ben the manger, called at the time they told me too and of course he was not available, after about 10 more calls was finally able to talk to someone named John because of course Ben still not not available and he was very rude said he could care less who died and said not my problem without the cancellation nnumber we will do nothing, ( but Priceline that has a no cancellation policy on their website, because after this hotel we had another stay booked elsewhere with them cancelled our reservation and we had our money back on the card the next day) I do not recommend this hotel to no one, in life we never know when and emergency is going to pop up and I would expect people to be more considerate when there is a death. We have had many expenses and still some more coming in and for this manager and this hotel to be so greedy is beyond stupidit. All I want is my money back we have many expenses to take care of and alot going on and to deal with this while your trying to mourn a loved one is very difficult, losing over two hundred dollars has hurt us very much, and in todays economy you would think that this manager would at least be considerate and put the money back on the card. I will not give up here already contacted the main Comfort Inn and the Credit Card company lets see if this hotel will do the right thing and give the money back. Again think it over very well before booking with this hotel.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I didn't really want to take a chance on this hotel after reading the other reviews, but... my husband really wanted to stay here because of the waterpark ( for our 4year old). The waterpark is ok, my 4year old had a great time but there's not much for older kids. Also, there is no hotel staff working in the waterpark, which didn't seem very safe to me, and no matter where your room is you have to go outside to get into the waterpark. Not very secure - all the doors to the hotel and waterpark were left unlocked- even though they all had a spot to use your room key to get in.
The rooms are updated and look nice, just could be a little cleaner - especially the bathrooms! Stairways dirty and have a damp, gross smell. Staff not very professional or helpful- no one is in uniform , most employees wearing jeans and tshirts- no name tags- hard to know who worked there! We paid $138 the first night and decided to stay another night, we were told that rate was no longer available and the best rate would be $210 for a queen room( stayed Fri & Sat shouldn't rates be almost the same?!) unfortunately my husband booked it at the price, when he came and told me I said "we are NOT paying that much to stay HERE! " He went back to the desk to cancel- LITERALLY 2 MINUTES later and was told he could not cancel and get any money back!
We will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We have a family of 6 so suites are the best option for else. While this hotel has relatively large suites, everything else about it was sub par. The front desk service was not friendly. The common areas inside and outside the hotel were filthy. All of the blankets in our room had holes. The bathroom had an off smell. The air conditioner is not powerful enough to cool the whole room. The indoor waterpark was mobbed and there were no hotel employees present. The indoor pool and waterpark were dirty. The AAA books says there is an outdoor pool but there isn't one. The breakfast area was mobbed. The food was constantly running out and the area was not adequately staffed . It seemed like guests from other closeby hotels were included in the breakfast at this hotel. Hotels in Mackinaw City have a very short busy season. This hotel is trying to make money without spending money to provide good facilities and service. Stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

From the minute we arrived at this hotel we knew it was going to be bad. When we arrived our room was not ready. The manager advised the staff to have the room ready in ten minutes which obviously wasnt adequate time to have it cleaned. It was down right dirty. The floors, mini fridge, counters ect were not clean. The second queen bed was a pull out from the wall and was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. The amenities were crap. The hottub was not hot, more like cold bath water. The outdoor pool was supposed to be heated but was not the case. The game room had a broken air hockey table, the hallways smelled like mildew, and the staff does not refill the breakfast items once they are gone. To make matters worse the first day we were there we orded pizza from pappa zos. It weas awful. It was not cooked and when they messed up our order they told us to pick the unwanted items off and offered no compensation, not even and corrected order. For 136$, we definitley got ripped off!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites - Mackinaw City? Share your experiences!