“Would stay again, family friendly.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Comfort Suites - Mackinaw City to your Saves list
Comfort Suites - Mackinaw City
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   720 S Huron Ave., Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
“Would stay again, family friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We were totally scared by the reviews of this place and we proved them all wrong. our room had 1 king size bed 1 queen size bed and a pullout sofa in a separate room that was separated by a kitchen and bathroom. We also had a crib which they wanted to charge $6 night, so we ended up bringing our own. the room had a fridge microwave and sink, it worked out great for us, the beds were comfortable and when we called for more pillows and blankets they arrived quickly. the water park was awesome huge pool huge hot tub and a cool slide splash area for the kids which was a little cold. The next day we ask them to turn up the heat and it felt like they did. It was not busy at all for the end of May but it was rather cold outside so that may have had something to do with the attendance. We felt like we had a hotel to ourselves the only bad thing was during the week breakfast is across the street at a different hotel we were not expecting that. But it was okay. all in all we got to walk to the ferry and experience Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island for a good price. We would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Marquette, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Suites during the last weekend in April. We were supposed to stay at the Bridge Vista, but due to a major water main break, we were relocated to the Comfort Suites. Since we were staying during the off season (and likely since we had to move hotels), we got a normally very expensive suite for $69 a night. The placard on the door stated that the room was normally $358 a night, and it would definitely NOT be worth that price. We had a nice suite with a pull-out couch, kitchenette, and large main room with balcony. I have no complaints about the room itself. It was WAY too far to go to the pool. We had to go up a floor, cross a walkway, go through the breakfast area and down 3 very stinky and humid flights of stairs. The kids had a lot of fun in the pool. The floor of the actual pool was incredibly rough, and I cut myself just standing up. No one was monitoring the pool area, even though wristbands were "required" for entry. The pool area was large and aside from above complaints was very fun.

Room Tip: Travel during the off season to save major cash! Stay on the third floor to be far closer to breakfa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay at with a family! Our suite was very spacious and clean, with a great view of Lake Huron, the free hot breakfast was very convenient. The Waterpark was a fun place to take my two young boys. I will definitely stay here gain!

Room Tip: A jacuzzi suite is worth the upgrade
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have waited to post this, giving the hotel the opportunity to replay to my original complaint. Our group selected this hotel so we booked our room without doing any research. We anticipated that the water park would be a blast for the kids. It was, but it was also "rough" and needs some updates. My children came out of the water area with skinned up knees, hips, elbows and many bruises. Back to the room I noticed the sheets were covered with hair and lint (gag!) then I noticed a fully shaped, uncrunched DORITO! Yep, it was in the bed. I then checked the other sheets and they were dirty too. I called for new sheets, at 10:00 pm. I called 3 times to check on my request as it too 45 minutes for new linens to arrive. To top it all off the drain in the shower/tub was so slow you had water around your ankles in about 2 minutes. We will NOT return, which is sad because they are fairly local and we like to support our local economy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We live in Sault Ste Marie and decided to take our grandchildren to an overnight stay at an indoor water park near by for Easter. The only motel we could find that was open during the off season was the comfort suites in Mackinaw City, Mi. Even though the reviews of this motel were terrible and many people had mentioned how bad this place was - we decided to call the motel and see for sure what was going in. The desk clerk assured us that the only people that put in reviews are the few that are disappointed - all the good you never hear about . So, we went ahead and reserved a 200.00 a night suite - thinking we will have the best. Well, not sure if the comfort suites is a franchise or what- but, what a disappointment. The room was small - for a suite - fire alarm detector wires were hanging from the ceiling, no detector at all. Half the lamps did not work and it was dirty!!!!!! Basically we were there for the kids so headed to the watermark. The swimming pool was so dirty that when the kids threw in their diving objects to dive for - we never saw them again - not even with goggles on . Took the girls to the bathroom - no toilet paper - no comfort suite staff in the pool to tell this to. Reported this to front desk later in the day. Big sign saying no entry without armbands of the day. What a joke - many more people in play area without bands then with bands. Very dirty area - definitey not a family area - anyone who wanted in got in. Took kids back to the room - made sure they had baths to wash off all the dirty water - to very slow drains - took 45 minutes to drain the bath tub. Breakfast was OK- no complaints at all there. Now back to the waterpark - it opened at 10:00 - check out 11:00- again a mass of kids running around with no armbands and no discipline. Looked in girls bathroom - still no toilet paper and filthy. Should have used my first intuition and left, but, this is what we had come for - so off go the kids to play. Within minutes our 6 year old was going down a slide - down came a bigger child rammed him and he hit his face into the slide - split open his chin and we are on our way back to the ER in the Soo were he received stitches. Again no staff monitoring this area. We like many others will never return to this motel - we have stayed at many comfort suites and have never seen anything like this-gives Comfort Suites a very bad name which is not the case.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

After our latest experience and thinking about it deeply, I finally came to the realization that the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism is not a chamber of commerce in the traditional sense, but a organization of several businesses that is essentially a racket designed for price fixing and to keep Mackinaw City a place filled with tourist traps. You will note that “big name” hotels are a part of this organization and not a part of the actual Mackinaw City Chamber of Commerce.

Let me relate our experience: I made a reservation with one hotel/waterpark a part of this “chamber.” They called me the next day to inform me that that hotel/waterpark was closed for renovation, so they asked if I’d be willing to move to a partner hotel/waterpark at the same rates. I very reluctantly agreed. Upon arrival, I at least expected to have the same room (two queens) but when we got to our room, we had one bed and one pull down. As we entered our room, it was clear that the room had not even been vacuumed (there were receipts in the corner of the room from guest two weeks previous). We tried to open the closet; broken. We began to turn the lamps on. Of 5 lamps in the room, two had broken switches and were not usable.

We quickly changed so our kids could get into the waterpark. When we returned to our room, we went to shower off the chlorine and put our two children in the tub, when we found a dried bar of soap stuck to the bottom of the tub, apparently from the last guests who had the room. In other words, the tub had not been cleaned. My wife went to put our two year old on the toilet when she discovered that the base of the toilet was covered in dried urine on both sides.

We had contacted the desk throughout, but this was the last straw. The front desk folks were obviously annoyed with us, agreed to move us (fun job with a 2 and 4 year old and all of the “stuff’). My wife went to that room and after a quick inspection found the same issue around the toilet on the bathroom floor. The front desk called a housekeeper to clean the bathroom of the “new” room. If he wouldn’t have hung up on me, I was going to ask to simply send the housekeeper up to our first room before we moved everything.

After the housekeeper blaming the dried urine on the flushing handle and about two hours of wasted time we were in our new room, which also featured a “coach” that was ripped and torn, which we had to move around in order to get the second bed folded down from the wall.

In all of this, I repeatedly requested for the manager on call. He/she was unavailable, and the front desk told me that the manager would be in at 7:00am. As I went to check out, I asked the man at the desk if he was the manager or if the manager was around. He told me, “We do not have a manager on site throughout the off season.”

Well, I at least got a number for the customer service of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism Racket. Their supervisor was also out, so I’m still waiting to see what they’ll do about things.

At this point, I strongly advise that no one patronize any of the properties and businesses that are a part of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism: http://www.mackinaw-city.com/

Room Tip: Find a property that is not part of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism. Go to a place that is a p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night in January and was surprised by the large room, it was almost too large (2 bedrooms). It's a strange layout and the entire hotel has a slightly creepy vibe to it, maybe because it was so cold and dark out when we arrived. Aside from the sheer size, the accommodations are sparse, with outdated rooms. But for a short stay and for the price, this place is alright, just keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Suites - Mackinaw City? Share your experiences!