“Our Easter family get away” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark

You added Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark to your Saves list
Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   720 S Huron Ave., Mackinaw City, MI 49701 (Formerly Comfort Suites - Mackinaw City)   |
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
“Our Easter family get away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We live in Sault Ste Marie and decided to take our grandchildren to an overnight stay at an indoor water park near by for Easter. The only motel we could find that was open during the off season was the comfort suites in Mackinaw City, Mi. Even though the reviews of this motel were terrible and many people had mentioned how bad this place was - we decided to call the motel and see for sure what was going in. The desk clerk assured us that the only people that put in reviews are the few that are disappointed - all the good you never hear about . So, we went ahead and reserved a 200.00 a night suite - thinking we will have the best. Well, not sure if the comfort suites is a franchise or what- but, what a disappointment. The room was small - for a suite - fire alarm detector wires were hanging from the ceiling, no detector at all. Half the lamps did not work and it was dirty!!!!!! Basically we were there for the kids so headed to the watermark. The swimming pool was so dirty that when the kids threw in their diving objects to dive for - we never saw them again - not even with goggles on . Took the girls to the bathroom - no toilet paper - no comfort suite staff in the pool to tell this to. Reported this to front desk later in the day. Big sign saying no entry without armbands of the day. What a joke - many more people in play area without bands then with bands. Very dirty area - definitey not a family area - anyone who wanted in got in. Took kids back to the room - made sure they had baths to wash off all the dirty water - to very slow drains - took 45 minutes to drain the bath tub. Breakfast was OK- no complaints at all there. Now back to the waterpark - it opened at 10:00 - check out 11:00- again a mass of kids running around with no armbands and no discipline. Looked in girls bathroom - still no toilet paper and filthy. Should have used my first intuition and left, but, this is what we had come for - so off go the kids to play. Within minutes our 6 year old was going down a slide - down came a bigger child rammed him and he hit his face into the slide - split open his chin and we are on our way back to the ER in the Soo were he received stitches. Again no staff monitoring this area. We like many others will never return to this motel - we have stayed at many comfort suites and have never seen anything like this-gives Comfort Suites a very bad name which is not the case.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Traverse City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

After our latest experience and thinking about it deeply, I finally came to the realization that the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism is not a chamber of commerce in the traditional sense, but a organization of several businesses that is essentially a racket designed for price fixing and to keep Mackinaw City a place filled with tourist traps. You will note that “big name” hotels are a part of this organization and not a part of the actual Mackinaw City Chamber of Commerce.

Let me relate our experience: I made a reservation with one hotel/waterpark a part of this “chamber.” They called me the next day to inform me that that hotel/waterpark was closed for renovation, so they asked if I’d be willing to move to a partner hotel/waterpark at the same rates. I very reluctantly agreed. Upon arrival, I at least expected to have the same room (two queens) but when we got to our room, we had one bed and one pull down. As we entered our room, it was clear that the room had not even been vacuumed (there were receipts in the corner of the room from guest two weeks previous). We tried to open the closet; broken. We began to turn the lamps on. Of 5 lamps in the room, two had broken switches and were not usable.

We quickly changed so our kids could get into the waterpark. When we returned to our room, we went to shower off the chlorine and put our two children in the tub, when we found a dried bar of soap stuck to the bottom of the tub, apparently from the last guests who had the room. In other words, the tub had not been cleaned. My wife went to put our two year old on the toilet when she discovered that the base of the toilet was covered in dried urine on both sides.

We had contacted the desk throughout, but this was the last straw. The front desk folks were obviously annoyed with us, agreed to move us (fun job with a 2 and 4 year old and all of the “stuff’). My wife went to that room and after a quick inspection found the same issue around the toilet on the bathroom floor. The front desk called a housekeeper to clean the bathroom of the “new” room. If he wouldn’t have hung up on me, I was going to ask to simply send the housekeeper up to our first room before we moved everything.

After the housekeeper blaming the dried urine on the flushing handle and about two hours of wasted time we were in our new room, which also featured a “coach” that was ripped and torn, which we had to move around in order to get the second bed folded down from the wall.

In all of this, I repeatedly requested for the manager on call. He/she was unavailable, and the front desk told me that the manager would be in at 7:00am. As I went to check out, I asked the man at the desk if he was the manager or if the manager was around. He told me, “We do not have a manager on site throughout the off season.”

Well, I at least got a number for the customer service of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism Racket. Their supervisor was also out, so I’m still waiting to see what they’ll do about things.

At this point, I strongly advise that no one patronize any of the properties and businesses that are a part of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism: http://www.mackinaw-city.com/

Room Tip: Find a property that is not part of the Mackinaw City Chamber of Tourism. Go to a place that is a p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night in January and was surprised by the large room, it was almost too large (2 bedrooms). It's a strange layout and the entire hotel has a slightly creepy vibe to it, maybe because it was so cold and dark out when we arrived. Aside from the sheer size, the accommodations are sparse, with outdated rooms. But for a short stay and for the price, this place is alright, just keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bridgman, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The accommodations are decent, staff is friendly, price was right. Not many hotels in Mackinaw open in the winter so choices are limited. If you are expecting a 5 (or 4) star hotel this is not your place, if looking for overnight accommodations this may be for you. I did not travel with family, but, I could see how a family would enjoy the hotel with the mini water park, suites, breakfast, microwave, two tv's and balcony. The hotel needs a deep cleaning and light maintenance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Marquette, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We got a good rate because Mac City is largely a ghost town in the winter. The rest was passable, but not up to the standards I've seen at most Comfort Suites. The mattresses seemed old and tired, the carpets, especially in public areas could use a good cleaning, and our room needed some maintenance care. The shower had moldy drywall above it and a tile was missing along the baseboard.

The breakfast area was large, but the breakfast seemed more along the lines of a Days Inn. Rubbery scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, and a couple waffle makers, along with the usual cereal and toast.

Overall, it wasn't an unpleasant stay, but not what I'm used to at Comfort Suites. I'm glad I didn't pay summer rates!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The kids loved the waterpark in the hotel. We liked the breakfast and not having to go outside to get to the waterpark. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We had a great stay. We had a nice view of the bridge and water from our balcony which was big enough for the whole family to be on!

• Stayed April 2012
Fostoria, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at Comfort Suites October 21-23rd. We were booked at the Clarion, but due to some renovations they moved are whole family over to the Comfort Suites. We had three separate families staying and we all agreed it was a good move. We had rooms with a King bed, Queen bed and the sleeper sofa in the sitting room. The beds were comfortable and the room & bathroom were clean. The water park with nice for my kids. Since we were there at the end of the tourists season it seemed like we had the water park and pretty much the hotel all to ourselves. We had children ranging in age from 4-17 and they all really enjoyed the water park. It was also kept pretty clean and stocked well with towels, The hot tub is huge, the size of a small pool and all the adults enjoyed that as well. The breakfast was ok. Due to it being the end of the season we had to walk down the street to Hamlin. The weather was nice and we didn't really mind the quick walk to get there.
The one downside to the whole trip was the fact that a very dear stuffed animal was left at the hotel and the front desk staff was very dismissive and unhelpful. I know that may seem like a trivial thing to some, but to parents traveling with children and their favorite bedtime animal you understand how traumatic it can be. As soon as we returned home and realized it I called the hotel immediately. I was able to tell them which room and exactly where in the room the dog was. They informed me the maids had not turned anything in. I again stated exactly where it was left and asked if they could ask the maids. They said "no, they didn't turn anything in and we can't ask them". I asked if it could possibly be in with the laundry and could they ask the laundry if they came across it. The gentleman on the phone said "well, I guess I could ask..." I asked if he was calling today and should I call back at certain time. He said he would call them and call me back with an answer. Of course I never received a call back and when I called again the next day the second person knew nothing about it and stated that if nothing was turned in by the maids then there was nothing they could do and wouldn't even ask the maids about it. I fully realize that I am the one who left it in the room and was willing to pay the postage to have them send it to me, but I'm just shocked that the hotel refused to even ask the maids if they had come across it. They refused to even make an attempt to help us out and were extremely dismissive in their attitude.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crown Choice Inn & Suites Lakeview & Waterpark? Share your experiences!