“Ok, but could be better” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw to your Saves list
Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   726 S Huron Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
South Lyon, Michigan, United States
“Ok, but could be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Noisy hotel! Had to call the front desk to get the guests upstairs to stop making so much noise (it was nearly midnight)

The door from the stairwell needs a soft closer to stop the incessant banging each time it closes.

The noise level of this hotel is unacceptable and I would not stay when I visit in the future.

The pool area didn't appear to be very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I booked over phone, was told I could be upgraded to beachfront for nothing...when we got there lobby WA under construction and it looked like nobody was even there...as I walked in further they had a TV hooked up with the hotel next door telling me to come over to there hotel and they could get me checked in....already disgusted I walked out and crossed the road and went to the Ramada which is a sister hotel....and got an actual beachfront access room...so their looks and website are very deceiving....Ramada was wayyyy better....

• Stayed October 2012
Detroit, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Lots of bad reviews but this hotel worked just fine for us (me, wife & 2 kids) No its not fancy but I'm not picky as long as a hotel is clean and safe. Good price compared to next door and others on a Saturday and still get the waterpark which the kids wanted. Breakfast can be crowded but just fine. Was told it goes from 6:30am-8:00am but on a Sat they were still serving at 9:30. Would stay here again no problem.

Room Tip: Go to breakfast early before the crowd.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We booked this hotel by phone with Travelocity customer service. They told us it was rated '4'. We were shocked to find that this hotel is probably the worst hotel in Mackinaw. When we checked into the hotel, we went immediately to the internet to read the reviews. The hotel manager was even surprised of the 4 rating! The hotel is attached to the Comfort Inn and they share the breakfast, fitness and recreation/swim area. That's why it is crowded. We also heard that the hotel had changed ownership a number of times, thus the state of disrepair. Yes, the room was clean, but it was sparse. We travel with a computer because we take 'working' holidays. There wasnt a desk or a chair to work on the computer. We put our suitcases on the floor in order to use the small bench for our computer. There was a shabby old side chair, bed, and small dresser with tv. The front desk were kind enuf to lend us a desk chair from the lobby! All-in-all I think that the hotel should be upfront with their customers - tell them that it is currently under new ownership, that they are renovating, etc. There is absolutely no way that the rating should be a 4. If you read the reviews, most are either negative or they are warning people that the hotel is decent enuf, but looks like it is in disrepair.....nice that people are concerned, but we paid alot of money ($98 for king size bed) - we could have gotten much more for our money at the many other hotels on the same street. I think that Travelocity should be responsible for helping their customers make a knowledgeable decision - this is not the case with this hotel. I complained to Travelocity and they told me that they rated the hotel after getting the customer reviews, but did they read them??

Room Tip: I would not suggest this hotel until the renovations are completed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I normally don't write reviews, but wanted to write one for other travelers that have booked here and are now concerned based on the reviews. I used priceline so I didn't know what hotel I would end up with, and I was really concerned after reading all of these reviews. Honestly, for the price we paid, this hotel was great. Now, when I go on vacation, I don't spend my vacation in the room. I venture out and tour the town and, well, vacation! So, if you feel the same way, this hotel is great. The room was clean and spacious and the beds weren't terrible for hotel beds. The location was convenient, especially if you plan to use the Arnold Ferry Line. The breakfast ended at 9:00am and was slightly congested, but on the only day that we were in a hurry, we just ate breakfast at the restaurant next door. The waterpark had a very nice pool and hot tub area which was quite nice. All in all, I would go back to this hotel again if I got it for cheap like I did this time. As long as you don't plan to spend your whole vacation in the room / hotel, you shouldn't have any issues at all. I hope this helps any travelers that have selected this hotel and are worried after reading the other reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent one night at the Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw before going to Mackinac Island and were pleasantly suprised at how nice the rooms were. The rooms are very clean with nice beds, bedding and linens. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They also offered a free breakfast with your stay, which included sausage, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy & biscuits, waffles, coffee and juice. The staff seemed to be having a difficult time keeping things full...but considering it was a free breakfast...I have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at! Everything in disrepair! No air conditioning in halls. Breakfast served only until 8:30. Not very clean. Looks like a foreclosed hotel struggling to get back up and running. Only found one ice machine working for the entie facility. Would never recommend!

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw? Share your experiences!