“Reviews very very misleading....” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw to your Saves list
Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   726 S Huron Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
toronto
“Reviews very very misleading....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We booked this hotel by phone with Travelocity customer service. They told us it was rated '4'. We were shocked to find that this hotel is probably the worst hotel in Mackinaw. When we checked into the hotel, we went immediately to the internet to read the reviews. The hotel manager was even surprised of the 4 rating! The hotel is attached to the Comfort Inn and they share the breakfast, fitness and recreation/swim area. That's why it is crowded. We also heard that the hotel had changed ownership a number of times, thus the state of disrepair. Yes, the room was clean, but it was sparse. We travel with a computer because we take 'working' holidays. There wasnt a desk or a chair to work on the computer. We put our suitcases on the floor in order to use the small bench for our computer. There was a shabby old side chair, bed, and small dresser with tv. The front desk were kind enuf to lend us a desk chair from the lobby! All-in-all I think that the hotel should be upfront with their customers - tell them that it is currently under new ownership, that they are renovating, etc. There is absolutely no way that the rating should be a 4. If you read the reviews, most are either negative or they are warning people that the hotel is decent enuf, but looks like it is in disrepair.....nice that people are concerned, but we paid alot of money ($98 for king size bed) - we could have gotten much more for our money at the many other hotels on the same street. I think that Travelocity should be responsible for helping their customers make a knowledgeable decision - this is not the case with this hotel. I complained to Travelocity and they told me that they rated the hotel after getting the customer reviews, but did they read them??

Room Tip: I would not suggest this hotel until the renovations are completed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I normally don't write reviews, but wanted to write one for other travelers that have booked here and are now concerned based on the reviews. I used priceline so I didn't know what hotel I would end up with, and I was really concerned after reading all of these reviews. Honestly, for the price we paid, this hotel was great. Now, when I go on vacation, I don't spend my vacation in the room. I venture out and tour the town and, well, vacation! So, if you feel the same way, this hotel is great. The room was clean and spacious and the beds weren't terrible for hotel beds. The location was convenient, especially if you plan to use the Arnold Ferry Line. The breakfast ended at 9:00am and was slightly congested, but on the only day that we were in a hurry, we just ate breakfast at the restaurant next door. The waterpark had a very nice pool and hot tub area which was quite nice. All in all, I would go back to this hotel again if I got it for cheap like I did this time. As long as you don't plan to spend your whole vacation in the room / hotel, you shouldn't have any issues at all. I hope this helps any travelers that have selected this hotel and are worried after reading the other reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent one night at the Bayside Hotel of Mackinaw before going to Mackinac Island and were pleasantly suprised at how nice the rooms were. The rooms are very clean with nice beds, bedding and linens. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They also offered a free breakfast with your stay, which included sausage, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy & biscuits, waffles, coffee and juice. The staff seemed to be having a difficult time keeping things full...but considering it was a free breakfast...I have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at! Everything in disrepair! No air conditioning in halls. Breakfast served only until 8:30. Not very clean. Looks like a foreclosed hotel struggling to get back up and running. Only found one ice machine working for the entie facility. Would never recommend!

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here at the end of July 2012. The deadbolt on our door was not operable and the door was not hung properly. We asked for another room (at 11pm) and were at first rebuffed, but eventually they gave us another room. In the new room, the shower curtain rod was falling off the wall. The coat hook was missing and only empty screw holes remained. Door frames were dented. Tile work in the bathroom is very poor. TVs in hotel advertisment are large flat screens. TVs in both original room and replacement room were old 24" tube TVs. Closet door is velcro'd to the wall. Breakfast area is actually in the hotel next door (Comfort Suites). Construction going on in the lobby. Doorway to back stairwell is barely operable. Had to push it with my shoulder to get it open. This obviously is a "refurbished" hotel that has had a "re-grand opening".

Room Tip: Avoid this place. Pay a little more somewhere else, you will be glad you did.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
STC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Staff was nice and pleasent. The rooms are clean enough. But if you anounce the grand opening on your sign yoo should have it all set and ready for show. They have no decorations, the halls and breakfast area (?) are bare. Made me feel like I was in the middle of a remodel. The breakfast area needs work. The boy and I arrived for breakfast at 9:00am and the trash was full and overflowing. They are serving breakfast for 2 motels in one room and need more waffel irons, coffee pots and equipment. The coffee was empty and was not filled when I left. The food counter was not wiped down once and was verry messy. The girl working the food (I only saw one) was working her tail off and somewhat testy and needs to take her ear buds out so people can talk to her. And this was on a Monday. I will let you know how it is the rest of our time here.. Can't imagine a weekend stay. You can do better!!

Room Tip: Ask questions before you book: fridge in room, facing parking lot or bay,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We booked this online and read the few reviews that are out there and it seemed okay for what we needed it for. Later we found out that it has had several name changes recently which is why there aren't many reviews under this new name.

Overall it was fine for one night but I would not be returning here when we are in Mackinaw again.

The front desk staff was not very welcoming or friendly, there didn't seem to be air condititioning in the hallways so it was stuffy. The walls are paper thin so you can hear doors slamming and other peoples water running all night/day. The breakfast buffet is in the hotel next store and also feeds 2 other hotels so the line is long and it only goes until 8:30am! Not ideal when you are with a family. Our view in our room was that of the hotel next doors wall 10 ft away so there was little to no natural light.

Again it served its purpose as our stop over for one night in Mackinaw City on our way up to the U.P. but with so many options of other hotels and resorts in the area, there is no reason for us to return to this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family