“Noisy Rooms, Unskilled Management” 1 of 5 stars

Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 South Huron, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Noisy Rooms, Unskilled Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We originally booked our 3 night stay online about 2 months ago. Approximately a week after booking the room, we decided to begin our vacation 2 days early and called to change the reservation. We understood the rates would change since this was now covering a weekend. We were quoted the new prices and agreed verbally.

During our drive up, we determined we would be arriving late. We called to confirm a late check-in. We spoke to a man who talked as if he was the owner. He informed us that the reservation was not changed and he didn't have a room for us. We were given a new confirmation number, so we provided that to him. That didn't work either. We gave him the old confirmation number and he then determined that we did indeed call, but the reservationist did not make the necessary updates. He then ask us what the rates we were quoted were. We told him and he said he thought he could honor those, but they were not the correct rates. They were too low. (Not our problem we both thought.) He then told us that they were out of rooms at the level we reserved and there would be a $10 per night charge to upgrade us. At this point the conversation had drug on for about 10 minutes (the entire time the guy was quite patronizing and cutting us off in between sentences). We just told him to save us a room and we would figure it out when we arrived.

When we arrived, I ask why we would be charged extra due to their mistakes (no modifying the reservation and not keeping a room for us). He stumbled around on his words (cutting us off before we could finish again) and then said he did have a room at our level but there were girl scouts in the hotel next to the room we would have and it would be too noisy for us. Therefore, he figured we would want the upgraded room (which had 50% more space... so he said). Unfortunately, we agreed.

We were given a room next to the elevator, pop/ice machine, and stairs on the 3rd floor. These rooms are not at all sound proofed. It would be hard to find a louder room in the hotel. As for the 50% more space, it would be hard to even argue 20% more.

Each day's rate was a different price, but the check-in attendant (who also was skilled in cutting off our sentences) had us sign a rate form which had the highest rate on it for all 3 days. I commented about it and she said "the computer fixes it for each day". She then printed a credit card receipt for us to sign and it was the highest room rate multiplied by 3. When I questioned it, she said again that it was correct. After later doing the math and discovering she was wrong, I called down and had her go through it again. She then appologized and said it would be corrected upon checkout. Since I had signed the wrong credit card receipt, I was a bit concerned (I wasn't very trustful of the management at this point). I walked down to the front desk to get it sorted out. The presumable "owner" was again there and again cutting me off on every sentence. He told me they charge everyone the "average rate" (which somehow was the highest rate). I explained how I travel for business and had never had a hotel have me sign a higher credit card receipt that what I agreed to as this would be against the terms and conditions for Visa. I really couldn't finish my sentence again as he went into a rant of double talk that didn't really make any sense. I walked away as it would have been better to talk to a brick wall.

I determined at that point they don't plan on getting their business from repeat customers.

Upon checkout, the "owner" wasn't there. I was able to convince the hotel checkout attendent that the receipt I signed was incorrect and she fixed it.

This was not a pleasant stay. Noisy room (after we paid extra to get a quiet one). Incompetent rude management.

There are other hotels in this city... pick one of those.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Toledo, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

Service was terrible. Management was rude. Rooms were very noisy. This hotel claims to be the newest hotel in the city. It seems to me that it is an old hotel that was just remodeled. They are also attempting to trick customers into thinking they are a Hilton hotel with their logo. I'm sure the Hilton's won't be very happy when they see this. I almost called them to complain until I realized it wasn't a Hilton hotel.

I made my stay decision based on the rating on this site. It was pretty good. After returning home, I re-read alot of the posts. It seems that after each negative post, there are immediately (within 2 or 3 days of each other) about 5 posts with execelent ratings. Each post is written using the same stlye and length. It seems "management" is watching this site and artificially inflating the ratings. Beware! Take a look at the dates of the postings yourself. In several instances they didn't bother to even wait until the next day.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
South Bend, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2006

I made reservations for May 23, 2006. My wife and I were supposed to stay for three nights. Two days before our arrival, my wife and I became very ill with the flu. I cancelled the reservation just one day before our arrival. The desk clerk said I would be charged on my credit card for all three nights of our stay. When I made the reservation, the cancellation policy was ambigious at best. I assumed I would lose one night's lodging if I cancelled the reservations at the last minute. I was not given the opportunity to speak with the manager. I checked with other hotels in the areas and asked about their cancellation policy. In all cases the customer would lose only one night's lodging if the cancellation was made at the last minute. On May 26, 2006 I discovered that all three nights lodging was charged to my credit card. They are DISHONEST.

Stayed May 2006
Lansing, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

Overall the Hotel was very nice. The problems we had was, during our stay they were remodeling the hallway and we were woke up to hammer's & saws, plus there were cords all over the place. We put a do not disturb sign on our door but they came in anyway. They de-activated our room keys early which was an inconvienence. Our room with the king size bed and the jaccuzi, you think it would be a big room but it is very small and narrow with a table and other furniture crammed in there. I'm sure there are better places to stay. If you stay here call first to see if they are re-modeling or anything like that. Just an fyi'er for you......Matt.

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2006

My wife and I were in Mackinaw City for our honeymoon. The room was beautiful, clean, had a great view of the lake, the staff was the most friendly staff I have experienced with a hotel. When the front desk found out it was our annaversarry they hand wrote a card and left that with a box of salt water taffy in our room. Nothing big but the thought means a lot! We will stay at this hotel every time we come to Mackinaw City and we recomend this hotel to everyone visiting Mackinaw City!

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

It was a beautiful experience from the time we walked in the door at the hotel. The front desk staff was beautiful and friendly. SO HOSPITABLE! Jodi was like having a personal concierge. She knew places to eat and called to our room to check if our "4" girls were settled in and if we enjoyed the room. The hot b-fast was delicious!! The food attendants accommodated what we needed and they were so friendly. The cleaning staff was professional and very nice. The room was VERY CLEAN! This is important to my family--you want to be in an environment that is clean. The beds were comfortable and we awoke to the sounds of the lake each morning-I wish I could take it and bottle the experience.

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

Just recently was there for weekend vacation. Me and my boyfriend call different places around beach to stay at. Until we search trip advisor and came up on Hamilton Inn Select. I have seen the hotel before when I stayed at another hotel few years back. The comments on here caught my eye. I did more research, and liked what I read. So, I called
and booked. After after a 4 hour drive, check in, Staff was great, real nice & friendly. We got to our room which was on the 3rd floor, walk in hotel was fresh, clean, neat, was great size. We loved
it. Over all we had a great weekend, hotel was wonderful. If you want a hotel for a vacation this is the place. You couldnt' ask for a better staff, hotel, etc. We will be back to vacation with this hotel once again.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront? Share your experiences!