“Great lake view from room, if over priced” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront to your Saves list
Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 South Huron, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
“Great lake view from room, if over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I make an annual trip to Mackinaw to celebrate our anniversary. Normally we stay at the Best Western down the street and have never been dissappointed.
This year because of apparent renovations or just bad timing, our usual hotel was closed with a sign that directed us here. In fact I think nearly every hotel on the drag was closed with signs telling you to come here, as I recall.
The room we were given was very clean and top notch, and the staggering view of the lake from it or sitting on the small but adequate patio is a memory my wife and I will always savor.
I do believe the rooms are over priced, but for what we got with view and everything I can overlook that.
What I cant overlook is that after I paid for our room for our 3 day stay with a debit card, a mystery $55 charge was in the total that I did not discover until a few days later when I called my card to check the balance. Eventually this charge dissappeared and the money was back in my account, but as to whether it was some odd amount debit hold or something else....who knows.
Also was not impressed with staff, most of whom seemed either indifferent or annoyed. The woman who checked us in spoke such broken english she reminded me of the people I talk to when I call customer service for my credit cards. The housekeeper was very friendly.
Personally I dont foresee staying here again, but as Ive stated before, nice view.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Fremont, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I were moved to this hotel when the Super 8 we had made reservations for didn't open in time to make our reservations. I was very skeptical because I hadn't researched it and we were moved unexpectedly. However, when we got here we had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan from the balcony of our room. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean and neatly decorated. They have a huge breakfast buffet and the staff is incredibly friendly. It's a great place to stay and next door to the Star Line boats to the Island!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms add a great view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ishpeming, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 2 young kids as a place to sleep on a long road trip (we arrived at 8:30 at night and left at 9:30 the following morning). For this short stay, and the great off-season rate we received, it was great and I would return.
Pros: Great offseason rate, friendly staff, pool open late (great to tire out the kids before bed after riding in the car for a long time), nice breakfast are with decent food (but bad coffee).
Cons: Hotel could use a "refresh" (carpeting and paint seems worn, pain in pool is chipping), our room wasn't extremely clean (my 15month daughter found a hair tie covered with hair next to the phone, and also random stickers in the room, there was melted ice cream in the refrigerator).

For the rate and location, I was happy with this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed for one night and it was very nice. The lobby was beautiful, the room was nice, and the continental breakfast was decent. I did have a hard time sleeping because of loud people walking in the halls, so the walls are thin. It was very inexpensive, yet a very good quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This review is long overdue but it's worth posting (I said I stayed in November 2012 but it was actually November 2011)

A friend and I were travelling from Ontario, Canada to Green Bay, Wisconsin and decided to head north and drive around the peninsula rather than on I-94 through Indiana and Chicago. We stopped in Mackinaw City for the night on November 18th 2011. As many others have stated, the town is fairly deserted in the winter months and we found it to be no different. This hotel was one of the few that were open in town. We were met at the front desk by a friendly worker who promptly checked us in at a great rate. The only complaint I had was that the room we were given was in the farthest wing of the hotel, on the 3rd floor. I guess the heating was off because the hallways were cold, but I can understand that since there were probably no guests in our area of the hotel. We put the heater on in the room and went out for dinner, and upon returning the room was up to temperature. The bathroom was clean and the shower was fine.

I would recommend this to anyone who travels through the area in their offseason if you're looking for reasonable and clean lodging for the night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Constantine, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Excellent location. Breakfast was good but not great, the quality of food was fine it was just chaotic and forget trying to get to the waffle maker without a fight! The beds were a bit hard. Pool was very nice. Housekeeping was very good and very friendly. Overall this was a great place and great value. Two room suit, exceptional value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

if you want a very clean, spacious, quiet, above average room, this is a great place. The room was really clean - no dust in the corners or stuff on the carpet, the price was comparable to neighboring motels, the sheets were crisp and clean and the beds had lots of pillows and the comforters were like new. The room heat is temperature controlled and quiet (by comparison to others). The staff was very friendly and helpful. They offer a morning breakfast buffet with a variety of choices from hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy not recommended) to cold cereal and fruit. I would stay there again because the staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business