“Not a bad place to stay...” 3 of 5 stars

Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 South Huron, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #19 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
Midland, Michigan, United States
“Not a bad place to stay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

if you want a very clean, spacious, quiet, above average room, this is a great place. The room was really clean - no dust in the corners or stuff on the carpet, the price was comparable to neighboring motels, the sheets were crisp and clean and the beds had lots of pillows and the comforters were like new. The room heat is temperature controlled and quiet (by comparison to others). The staff was very friendly and helpful. They offer a morning breakfast buffet with a variety of choices from hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy not recommended) to cold cereal and fruit. I would stay there again because the staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Shell Lake, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

First let me say that I am not someone who goes for extravagant. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being someone who sleeps in their car, and 5 being someone who dresses for dinner, I am about a 3. When I travel, I sleep in motels, my slide in pick-up camper, and HAVE slept in the truck on occasion. To me a motel is where you sleep, not where you spend your vacation. I don't have kids, so I don't care about indoor water parks etc. I want a clean, comfortable room, with a tv and clean sheets, not-noisey and in the proximity of what I'm doing. That being said, I give this motel a 5 star. If you are looking for the very eligant, room service, and family entertainment - this rating is not for you. But if you want a very clean, spacious, quiet, above average room that blends in with the "flavor" of historic Mackinaw, this is a great place. The room was really clean - no dust in the corners or stuff on the carpet, the price was comparable to neighboring motels, the sheets were crisp and clean and the beds had lots of pillows and the comforters were like new. The room heat is temperature controlled and quiet (by comparison to others). The staff was very friendly and helpful. They offer a morning breakfast buffet that rivals what I have seen offered before, There is a variety of choices from hot breakfast (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravey) to cold cereal and fruit. The buffet attendant is awesome. She regulary checks the food and keeps the area tidied up. I would definately stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Fab first floor room. Hot tub and good size room & Patio. Grab a glass of Michigan vino sit on your patio on Lake Huron. Nice clean beach with chairs. Indoor pool if you don't like the cold water of the Big Lake. Breakfast was ok. Good location next to ferry. Parking can be tricky small lot. The people were all Pleasant. Have stayed over Holiday's the fireworks over the bridge and lights from the Island made for a great evening.

Room Tip: We like Lake front on the beach and hot tub.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Alpena, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

First I will say the hotel overall is nice - however, the staff is terrible. The older guy behind the front desk does nothing but complain and bark orders to the guests. We booked this hotel two weekends in a row for hockey trips...and in Mackinaw City there aren't many other options during the winter. The first weekend we arrived to a down computer system so check in took forever - we were assigned two rooms that both had guests in them before finally getting a room that was open. Since the computer being down wasn't really our fault you would have thought they might try to be a bit nicer and more helpful - instead the staff were basically rude. One of our parents were told they never made a reservation and when he told them the day he called, they said that "they record every phone call and will check the log that day". He wound up getting a room but the arguing was non-stop. There is a special check in sheet that applies only to hockey teams (you are prohibited from bringing a mini stick into the hotel). There is a curfew for hockey players - they have to be in their room by 9 PM. We used the community room one evening to have a few drinks and snacks and were told by the staff that we had to vaccuum the room before we left. That was a first for us.

The following trip we were treated just about the same - in the pool area they were out of towels so I asked my son to go to the front desk to let them know. They told him they were "too busy" to put any more out. When we were getting ready to go to dinner I was at the front desk and once again our front desk friend was complaining about the guests using "too many towels" and that's why they were out all the time. Seriously?

We returned from dinner to use the community room once again and found several kids & parents having a Nerf gun war - tables were turned over and discs and Nerf bullets were everywhere along with the associated mayhem (I am not saying hockey kids don't make noise, but these folks didn't have to sign any forms - they weren't one of those noisy hockey teams). My wife went downstairs to look for one of the kids and was told by the front desk that she was being "too loud" walking down the stairs. She mentioned the Nerf gun folks and was told he would "look into it" which never happened.

Overall, if you don't mind being treated really rude in trade for a decent room, book it here - if you are a hockey team I would find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Book it somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Williamsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. This was picked by the school for a bowling tournament in nearby Cheboygan and although it’s not as nearby as we would have liked the hotel was a good choice. They advertise a continental breakfast starting at 7am. As the teams had to be at the tournament by 8am it was great to see that the food was out and ready by 6am. Not only did they have the basic cereal, toast and coffee, they also had scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles, pancakes and a good variety of beverages. The price was comparable to all other area hotels, rather low on Thursday night and about double on Friday but feeding 2 adults and 3 teens made the price far better than some of the other choices. The rooms were also clean and quiet. I would recommend this hotel for those visiting or passing through Mackinaw.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you do not care about getting good service, stay at this hotel. For several years, we have been staying at this hotel in the off season. We mainly stay because it's one of the few hotels open in the winter. When my friend called to make a reservation, she was told that they did not have any regular rooms available (only jacuzzi suites) so I booked through Expedia. When my friend arrived, she was given the third degree about why we booked through Expedia since they had plenty of rooms available. They also said that they would have given us a better rate than Expedia did. She told him what she was told on phone by someone at the hotel. He did not have a comment. There were several hockey teams staying at the hotel so it was a little bit loud. We had a room right by the elevator/stairs. That made it worse. Wouldn't you think that if you had rooms available, you would put us in a room further away from all the hockey teams??? The breakfast, as stated in other reviews is not good. The "pancake" maker that was used as a selling point on the phone (we did not care about it, but it's part of their "stay here because..." speel), was not working while we were there. The woman in the breakfast room was not friendly. Our room was clean and the only relatively friendly employee was the woman from housekeeping. There is a negative feeling at the hotel. Lots of homemade signs saying "don't do this, don't do that". We will definitely be looking for a different hotel to stay at next time we plan a trip to Mackinaw.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Houghton, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We came down to the Hamilton Inn for one night with a group of 15 year old hockey players. We came on a bus and they were prepared to attack us as we checked in! They made us all sign a waiver that the kids HAD to be in there rooms at 9:00PM and that they were also not allowed in the pool area after 9:00PM!! We checked in and were charged $30 more then any of the other families in our group! We told them that we had a group rate but they insisted that our room was more because it was a lakeview room! Lakeview room!!!??? It is a view of a white, snow covered field right now!! I don't think we will be using the beach - really!!?? Finally, after some convincing and arguing with the rude and very obnoxious front desk staff, they decided to only charge us $10 more - whatever! I will NEVER stay here again EVER!!!

The front desk staff also failed to tell any of us in our group that if you stay at the Hamilton Inn you have access to an indoor waterpark that is across the street. This really upset me because my 11 year old daughter was also with us and would have enjoyed the waterpark. Just very poor customer service - very sad.

My son and I did decide to go down to the pool area and sorry but the pool area was very, very dirty. Big hairballs in the hot tub and my son actually was hurt in the hot tub on one of the jets that was broken. There was a huge vent that was exposed too and the screen was broken that was supposed to be over it. A little kid could definately fall through!!!

The internet connection in the hotel is totally non-existent, so if you need to do any work, forget it! The breakfast was ok, typical breakfast, nothing special. Rooms at this hotel were just like any other Super8 or Comfort Inn - not great.

Some of the front desk staff in this hotel were very, very rude and very unprofessional. I was also surprised that they weren't wearing any kind of matching t-shirts or uniforms - one front desk lady actually had a t-shirt on that said "Go Jamaica" - very sloppy.

I would NOT stay here again! Just very unprofessional and very rude. There is many, many other places to stay in Mackinaw City that are much nicer then this crabby place. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront? Share your experiences!