“Horrible Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you do not care about getting good service, stay at this hotel. For several years, we have been staying at this hotel in the off season. We mainly stay because it's one of the few hotels open in the winter. When my friend called to make a reservation, she was told that they did not have any regular rooms available (only jacuzzi suites) so I booked through Expedia. When my friend arrived, she was given the third degree about why we booked through Expedia since they had plenty of rooms available. They also said that they would have given us a better rate than Expedia did. She told him what she was told on phone by someone at the hotel. He did not have a comment. There were several hockey teams staying at the hotel so it was a little bit loud. We had a room right by the elevator/stairs. That made it worse. Wouldn't you think that if you had rooms available, you would put us in a room further away from all the hockey teams??? The breakfast, as stated in other reviews is not good. The "pancake" maker that was used as a selling point on the phone (we did not care about it, but it's part of their "stay here because..." speel), was not working while we were there. The woman in the breakfast room was not friendly. Our room was clean and the only relatively friendly employee was the woman from housekeeping. There is a negative feeling at the hotel. Lots of homemade signs saying "don't do this, don't do that". We will definitely be looking for a different hotel to stay at next time we plan a trip to Mackinaw.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Houghton, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We came down to the Hamilton Inn for one night with a group of 15 year old hockey players. We came on a bus and they were prepared to attack us as we checked in! They made us all sign a waiver that the kids HAD to be in there rooms at 9:00PM and that they were also not allowed in the pool area after 9:00PM!! We checked in and were charged $30 more then any of the other families in our group! We told them that we had a group rate but they insisted that our room was more because it was a lakeview room! Lakeview room!!!??? It is a view of a white, snow covered field right now!! I don't think we will be using the beach - really!!?? Finally, after some convincing and arguing with the rude and very obnoxious front desk staff, they decided to only charge us $10 more - whatever! I will NEVER stay here again EVER!!!

The front desk staff also failed to tell any of us in our group that if you stay at the Hamilton Inn you have access to an indoor waterpark that is across the street. This really upset me because my 11 year old daughter was also with us and would have enjoyed the waterpark. Just very poor customer service - very sad.

My son and I did decide to go down to the pool area and sorry but the pool area was very, very dirty. Big hairballs in the hot tub and my son actually was hurt in the hot tub on one of the jets that was broken. There was a huge vent that was exposed too and the screen was broken that was supposed to be over it. A little kid could definately fall through!!!

The internet connection in the hotel is totally non-existent, so if you need to do any work, forget it! The breakfast was ok, typical breakfast, nothing special. Rooms at this hotel were just like any other Super8 or Comfort Inn - not great.

Some of the front desk staff in this hotel were very, very rude and very unprofessional. I was also surprised that they weren't wearing any kind of matching t-shirts or uniforms - one front desk lady actually had a t-shirt on that said "Go Jamaica" - very sloppy.

I would NOT stay here again! Just very unprofessional and very rude. There is many, many other places to stay in Mackinaw City that are much nicer then this crabby place. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wautoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

On a recent road trip from Wisconsin to Toronto, we did part of the Lake Michigan circle tour. We stayed at the Hamilton Inn Select in Mackinaw City on 10/21/12 because they gave us the best deal when I called about rooms & it looked nice from the road & we liked the location. Check in was very quick & staff were friendly & helpful. Ours was a lakefront room, very clean, comfy bed & it had a fridge which is nice when your road tripping. Found out that more than half of the hotels here are closed at this time of the year, so our choices were limited somewhat. Woke up at 7AM when the nearby ferry boat started it's engines. It left at 7:30 with the 1st load going over to Mackinac Island. It was time to get up & get going anyway & we saw the most beautiful sunrise over the lake at 8:05AM, so we can't complain. Hit the breakfast room next, it's up on the 3rd floor. Thought that was wierd; but it was very spacious & the breakfast selection was ample: biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage, canned tropical fruit, waffles, bagels, assorted toast, cereals & the usual. Would stay here again if passing through & would recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Ledge, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on the way to the upper peninsula for a wintery adventure. Offseason rates are very good and the hotel met my expectations for the price that I paid. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I skipped the breakfast after reading prior reviews, so I can't comment on that. I would stay here again and probably will in February.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Neenah, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Good hotel but update your website people. They offer rooms with one queen bed on their site. In reality these do not exist. All have 2 beds which just take up more room, in an already small room, if you don't need two beds. Also, they show a picture of a girl sitting at their bar enjoying a cocktail. They do not have a bar. Breakfast bar is free and if you like free things then go for it. I decided to go elsewhere and pay for "food" versus getting free "substance" and based on some of the reviews I read I guess I'm not alone on the breakfast bar. It's the only meal this hotel offers so I would have thought they'd put a little more effort into it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for a gourmet 5-star breakfast but you'll see what I mean if you experience it.
Outside if the "breakfast" bar and advertising rooms that don't exist this is actually a great hotel. Really nice and clean. Has a lot of character inside and out. Great location. Friendly staff. I need to give credit where it's due and not just advertise the bad only as most people do. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone...just not the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were extreamly clean, comfortable & of good size. We were very impressed by the cleanliness of the pool & hot tub. Staff was informative & courteous. We really only had one complaint, the breakfast bar was terrible. It was almost as though the owner went to Aldis and got the cheapest meat & milk they could find, very gamey & Egg's were definately not real. All in all it was very enjoyable & we would definately recommend this hotel & plan to stay again. However, we will be going out for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Imagine sitting on the sofa in your room and all of a sudden you hear a loud noise, perhaps an explosion, coming from the balcony overlooking the beach. Imagine upon investigating that your doorwall has just shattered with windshield-type shards all over your floor....and you're barefoot! And then just imagine when you call the front desk and they send someone to investigate, insinuating that you're the cause of doorwall exploding. We didn't have to imagine that, as it actually happened. We were not offered another room, not offered our night comped, but we were put out of our room for several hours while they cleaned up the mess, and then came back to no doorwall, an unsecured room until the next day when they replaced the doorwall.

HISB advertises a restaurant and lounge, but you have to walk across the busy street to get to it. Seriously?!

The pool is right off the lobby, affording no privacy. And the breakfast bar didn't change the entire time we were there. If, by chance, you want a waffle, prepare to wait awhile as the throngs descend on the one wafflemaker.

We won't be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamilton Inn Select - Beachfront? Share your experiences!