“Nice place for a nice price” 5 of 5 stars

Great Lakes Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   150 Old US 31, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
michigan
“Nice place for a nice price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The kids and I stayed at the friendly Great Lakes Inn in Mackinaw City located very close to the ferries to Mackinac Island, downtown Mackinaw City, and to Thunder Falls Water Park in Mackinaw City. The Inn is run by a nice Austrian couple who you can tell take pride in their hotel. The hostess at the check-in desk, Simona, was helpful and pleasant. Great place to stay at a very reasonable price. We stay there every year because we know it's close to everything and the rooms are clean.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nice comfortable room. Easy access to parking. Friendly staff. Well-equipped rooms (microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, cable TV, and furniture as advertised).
There was a bug in the room, though. And the breakfast was meager.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Rooms were ok. Needs updating. They were small and a bit noisy. Price was a little high considering the condition of the rooms. They smelt old and a bit musty. Beds were very uncomfortable. Most likely will not stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel for the "bookends" of our trip, the first night and the last night. We ended up getting to Mackinaw super late our first night, and the hotel was closed, which forced us to have to stay at a neighboring hotel. I came in the next morning to explain, and they were quick to rectify the situation(I had to pay more to stay at the other hotel.) I was pleased with how they handled everything and would absolutely stay there again. It's a great value for the location, and very friendly staff is always a plus.

• Stayed July 2012
Wyoming, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel was a former travel lodge hotel and looking at the pictures on the website it was a older hotel but that not a necessary a bad thing. I decided to book a 6 day there since we were staying there on vacation in the area. Well then I got there I was a happy with the price but average with looks and room was a bit dated I walked into the 90’s with the heat bulb in the bathroom and no fan. Mattress were newer with the retro zenith tv maybe 25 inch so since we’re not spending a lot of time in the room seeing the area it was ok.
Pro :
1. Cheap
2. Two pools
3. Hot tub
4. Quiet
Cons:
1. outside lights out at 11pm( safety issue for me if your arriving back after that time)
2. internet never worked for my computer
3. internet off at 11pm
4. hot tub was dirty
5. room did have some older smell
6. my wife got bed bug bites
7. breakfast was only donuts and coffee
my wife got bit by bed bugs at this place and I went up to the from desk and advised them of their problems in RM 109 and owner wife tried older lady stated after I show the bites on my wife body said that it was sand fleas ,spider bites. Well last time I check there hardly no sand in mackinaw area and beaches have rock not sand. Two spider bites are in a circle not in a row like bed bugs. I have pic if anyone would like to see of the bites. Maybe the owner would like to sleep with the bed bugs but I sure don’t. if any one does not believe me email me and I will send you the pictures of the bed bugs bites. I will never be staying at this bed bug infested place again .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Simona P, General Manager at Great Lakes Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Mr. G (I do not want to disclose your name),

First of all, as we told you when you checked out, the mattresses are brand-new (we put them in this spring, when we opened up the hotel). Second of all, if you state that we had bed bugs and that people can write you email so that you can send them pictures, why don't you also mention that you made the reservation for 6 nights and you stayed in that room for 5? And suddenly, in the 6th morning, your wife (not you or your kids) got a bite from a "bed-bug". Oh, and make sure you don't send people the same pictures that you showed me, because those were from a Google search. If you wanted to make sure that you will get your money back for that night, you could have just told us that you need to leave, not to look at our 4 years-old reviews and think about ways not to tell the truth. I don't think that the bed-bug would have waited for 5 nights before it bit your wife. And, the most important thing is that room 109 was occupied the whole summer, every day, and we did not have one single complaint about this or anything else. Moreover, we have people that come every year for the last 3 years (3-4 times a season) and ask for the same room every time. If the room was not what you expected to be, you could have checked-out right away (we would have given you a full refund) or you could have asked for another room.
You also stated that the internet never work in your room, although you say that it shut off at 11 p.m. Well, my question is, how would you know that it shuts off at 11 p.m. if it never worked?
And regarding the "dirty" hot tub, we change the water every 2-3 days, we use needed chemicals and we also have a report from the pool inspector (who always comes unexpected) which states that both our pools and hut tub are clean and in perfect shape. Whoever is interested in seeing that too, feel free to email us at info@greatlakesinnmackinaw.com. The only thing that could make you say that something was dirty would be the fact that the painter who painted our outdoor pool this year missed some areas and it looks like it would be dirty on those spots.
We always say that the guest is always right, but this, my sir, is not the case.
Clawson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed over Labor Day weekend 2011. After reading some of the reviews posted, my girlfriend and I were a little nervous about the place. However, we were pleasantly surprised by our stay there, for the price we paid. The pool looks as though maybe it needs some maintenance but was fairly clean. The hot tub worked, and felt really comfortable even after sitting in it for a half hour. The pool house exterior could have used a good cleaning however. Our room was clean, A/C worked along with the heat, TV was not that great for picture quality though due to it being a old style (non-flat panel) TV. I would strongly recommend though getting glass shower doors to replace the shower curtain, we could not take a shower without a puddle it seemed that we had to throw a towel over. Did not use the microwave, but mini-fridge was very clean, just unplugged to save on electricity when we arrived. We really did enjoy our stay, perfect for the on a budget traveler.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The air conditioner did not work. Only a handful of TV stations to watch. Pool was cold.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Great Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!