“Never again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fairview Beachfront Inn & Waterpark

You added Fairview Beachfront Inn & Waterpark to your Saves list
Fairview Beachfront Inn & Waterpark
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   907 South Huron, Mackinaw City, MI 49701 (Formerly Aqua Grand Inn & Waterpark)   |
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Osseo, Michigan
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We took our 12 year-old grandaughter and her friend to Mackinaw for two days. Because we could not get the same suite at the other hotel for two consecutive nights, we booked our last night here. I was promised a top floor suite, but when we arrived (after a day in the Island) we were put in a lower suite. When I asked about this, I was told "We don't guarantee floors." A "bait and switch" -- pure and simple.

The people above us had kids who liked to run across the floors. I bought earl plugs and Sominex and eventually managed to get to sleep. When I complained about this to the desk clerk the next morning (without losing my temper!) I was told "Sorry!: and handed my receipt.

I have since learned that this hotel IS NOT a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and they have not reponded to my registered letter. I have contacted my state senator, but I am unsure what, if anything, I can do without litigation.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bay City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the water park amenities. The water park was disappointing and was not a water park at all but a spray park. It was rusty, some of the spray features were broken and the drains were backed up and slimy. Our room was disgusting. When we walked in we were hit with an overwhelming musty and lemon odor. The bathroom had mold in the shower, a rusty shower curtain rod, hair in the drain and a missing piece of paneling on the door. My overall experience was horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed 2 nights each night getting worse it started with horrible front desk service we went to our room it looked like we went back into the 1960's the beds were old and hard with only a couple pillows per bead and were not made properly the room had a foul Oder and the floor had visible dirt on it the showers were dirty and on the second day the shower actually backed up with sewage an was unusable to us an the smell was awful the water park had was half broken and when we went to use the hot tub it had a horrible smell that was left on Our clothes and Brown bubbles there is some of it there was more but to wrap it up never stay here no matter the savings

• Stayed August 2012
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

P.Howard
on our regular summer retreat for me and my Husband we stayed four days and four nights. when we arrived to our room after climbing five flights of stairs, we were greeted by a giant spider inside the doorway. My husband did the dusting to remove all the insects from the room. We accepted a two queen bedroom due to no available King during our stay so we took advantage of both beds and when attempting to use the other bed, pulled the covers back and found a baby diaper between the sheets. We alerted the housekeeping staff and the only bright side to the story was the kindness of Loretta the housekeeper. Loretta made sure the sheets and room were cleaned to our satisfaction. Managment never address the issue after being made aware of it by myself three times and Loretta as well. A simple acknowledgement would have been appreciated. Next time we come up North because the the loation is beautiful and we will, the Fairview Inn will "NOT" be our location of stay. Front desk staff was as cold as the ice in the ice machine, no feed back or concern for the concerns of their guest. Try to treat people like you would want to be treated!

Room Tip: request room on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed 3 nights and the value for the beachfront was nice. Don't be deceived by the pictures. If you are not aware there are older hotel rooms that are free standing from the main picture that is shown. The newer portion might be nicer but I was disappointed with my room since we were in the ones behind it. It has a lot of potential just needs a little work and updating. Room had a musty smell aiconditioner was older and didn't work well electrical outlets had difficulty holding the items that we needed to plug in. Although i wasn't impressed with the hotel the access to the beach any time of the day was wonderful. Still had a great vacation. The Walk next door to the continental breakfast was not a far distance so i am not sure what people are complaining about.

• Stayed August 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It was a great location- I can walk well into Lake Huron! We Loved the access to multiple water parks (save time for the Timber falls one-or a name similar to that- as it looked great but we ran out of time) and good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Traverse City, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

this is an old motel that you pay top dollar for because it is beachfront and open during the busiest travel time of year...positives...the waterpark or waterlark as we called it (the sign on the door read waterlark) was entertaining for my 4 year old...the older children in our crew (15, 11 & 8) thought it was kind of fun but a "waterpark" might be a bit of a stretch, it is more of a sprinkler park or water playground...the indoor pool is separate and it was fine...we spent our one evening at the motel on the beach and then took the boat to mackinac island for dinner...our check in was horrible, i had reserved a 2 bedroom suite, received an email that, that room wasn't available, called as stated in the email i reserved and then at check in, they couldn't find my reservation but put me back in a 2 bedroom suite...not a big deal but the staff at the desk was completely unprofessional and took no ownership of the situation...our room was adequate but old school...turquoise and mauve..the sliding door to the balcony fell out of the track on my head when i opened it, the hairdryer was broken (we requested a new one and the guy who came up to see if it was broken said he was going home and he'd pass it on), and in the morning, a family of baby spiders hatched in my bed...not kidding...the breakfast buffet was okay, there was no fresh fruit or yogurt and it was so crowded that there were no tables left...and tables that did turn over were still dirty because there was nobody there wiping them down between guests...also, the cleaning staff had bags of laundry and carts everywhere all day long...i realize that the hotel was sold out and they were busy but for over $200 a night, a little cleaner grounds - dining area - room would've made the experience much better...we traveled north for 3 days and this was the worst of the motels we stayed in...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family