“Was very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cabins of Mackinaw

Save Saved
You added Cabins of Mackinaw to your Saves list
Cabins of Mackinaw
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   200 South Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Was very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom cabin in August 2012. We were looking forward to a vacation with our grandchildren. Upon check-in the gentleman tried to get us to rent a bigger cabin for an extra $100 a night which we turned down. After entering our cabin we tried the heating/cooling system and a burning smell and an alarm went off. The desk sent someone out he sprayed something into it and said it would be okay, just dirty. The carpeting and sofa were dirty. The sofabed was very uncomfortable. Springs were gone, the head and foot of the bed were sunken, and you could feel every spring and bar on the sofabed. I was told for two days that they would replace it and it never happened. I complained and they gave me 2 extra pillows. I feel that for the price I paid they should have offered to exchange rooms or something. I also called the main owner's office upon returning home and have heard nothing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Milton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Expected to be staying in the cabins pictured on the website. Got put in a rundown small cabin behind the nice loft cabins. Cabins were dirty (even the coffee pot still had coffee grounds left in it). Manager was rude. Had to ask to get the room cleaned every day. Breakfast was OK but not staffed well. Had to wait in line for 15 min to get the food and place was a mess. Water park OK for young children. Would highly reccommend staying elsewhere. Spend a little more if you have to and you wont regret it.

Room Tip: If you are set on staying here make sure request the loft cabins.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed recently for 2 nights. I booked through Mackinac City website. The cabin was pretty clean and very comfortable. They could work on removing all of the cobwebs, which were abundant inside & out. They could also use a place to hang clothes in the bedroom/loft. We would definitely stay again. Good location, too!

• Stayed July 2012
Rochester, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is not what I expected to what is showed on their website. We were in a tiny cabin way in the back. I was very dissapointed upon seeing this cabin. The plastic furniture on the porch was very dirty. The rooms are very small and tight. I went back to the office and complained that this is not what I asked for. They were very rude, said they were booked and that is all what was left. The man that was working at the counter was extremely rude. He did not even look me in the eye. He needs some training in "Hotel Mangement". Unfortunately, we stayed the night because of the 72 hour cancellation policy. Good thing we only stayed one night. We had to call because there was no hot water to take showers. There were black spots on one of the blankets. The lights weren't all working. Light bulbs needed to be changed. Cabins really need an updating. Breakfast the next morning was very confusing to find. Would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
union
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here on June 13 & 14, 2012. We arrived early (11 am) and knew that the odds of us getting our room were slim, but we thought we'd give it a try. Upon entering the check-in office, I was rudely greeted by a woman that spoke broken English and a not-so-eager to help man who looked at me and said in an extremely condescending voice, "Checking out?" I said, "No, I'm checking in." His reply was... "Check in is at 3:00."

The foreign lady proceeded to take my money, however I had to walk to the end of the counter where she was versus her walking 3 steps to accommodate me, and check me in. During the transaction I was reminded several times that I needed to come back after 3:00.

I entered the check-in office at 2:59 and the same hateful man was there. I proceeded to let him know that it was 2:59 and he told me to come back at 3:00. He did break the rule this time and gave us the key.... much to his dismay.

The cabin was very cute and my kids loved it. I don't have any complaints about it. Yeah, it's in a parking lot and the cabins next door are on top of you, but if you look at the pictures that is quite obvious. The air worked, the beds were comfortable and it looked just like the pictures on the website.

The other two issues we had were... not enough towels. We called the front desk and asked for more towels and they told us all they had were pools towels... which were about the size of a hand towel. We left a note for the maid to leave more towels and she did, so problem solved.

The free breakfast was a joke. It is served from 6-830 at the hotel next door. The area where it is held is very small for the amount of people that showed up. We opted to eat at Anna's down the street. We had the buffet for $9.99 which included freshly prepared omelets.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Warren, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I don't travel much and was nervous upon reading some of the not so good comments.

Note: the actual address is 712 S. Huron, NOT 200, so it took us a little longer to find the place.

Upon arriving I was pleasantly surprised - we stayed in a one room chalet and I thought it was really cute! It had a 3 drawer dresser, night stand, place to hang clothes, table with one chair (2 would have been nice), T.V. and fridge in one room. The AC may have been too small for the room, but if you closed the bathroom door, it worked really well. The WI-FI was slow - it took 20 min to load banking info.

The bathroom was nice, but the shower area could have used hooks for washcloths and a shelf for shampoo and soap.

There was a coffee maker, which I didn't use, but no hair dryer - I brought my own anyway.

Our chalet was the first one by the parking lot, right behind the row of 2-story cabins. The outside light didn't seem to work, but the parking lot light was bright enough.

I only ate at the breakfast buffet one morning - I am not a breakfast person, but my bagel was good and my milk was cold!

It was real quiet and private. I would much rather stay in a chalet than a hotel room with noisy neighbors.

I was happy with this chalet and would stay again. I think some people come with high expectations / standards and I could see them being let down, but it's a room to sleep in, not a resort. I stayed Sun - Wed and the price was GREAT! I didn't use the pool or waterpark, but seems the pool always had people in it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackson Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We arrived expecting something similiar to what they showed on their website and were sent to a tiny cabin in the back corner next to an adjacent business's dumpster. When we went inside we walked through spider webs, the blanket on the bed had a huge cigarette burn and a stain from I don't know what on the box spring. We had no smoke alarm and no hot water. The plastic furniture in front was gross and we didn't use. When we contacted the front desk that we were checking out and would pay for the one night we stayed they refused to waive the second night because of their cancellation policy. It didn't matter that they didn't provide what they stated in their ad. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express on a very busy Memorial Day weekend and we're provided exactlywith what they advertise. Cabins of Mackinaw need's a new manager educated in hotel management and how to treat their customers. Stay anywhere in Mackinaw City but here!!!

Room Tip: Best tip - Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabins of Mackinaw? Share your experiences!