“Massive campground, average service-amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinaw City
Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
Save Saved
You added Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground to your Saves list
9730 US Hwy 23, Mackinaw City, MI   |
East Lansing, Michigan
“Massive campground, average service-amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here during labor day weekend, and the campground was probably half full overall. I will say if you need a last minute place to stay during this weekend, then stay here because they have over 600 campsites and I am under the impression that a lot of these sites are only used once per year if that. Well the non-electric sites anyway, in which we stayed in a tent. The site itself was only $25 per night this whole weekend which is a good deal compared to the $200 per night motel rooms you will pay that weekend, and normally these sites are about $10/night. That being said it is a very affordable campground. Our campsite was actually quite large too, we had 2 tents on it with a lot of privacy. Also someone mentioned of it being crowded but I stayed here during probably the busiest weekend in Mackinaw area and the campground wasn't crowded at all, at least not in the area we stayed (super saver, no hook-up). And there were still a lot of empty campsites. Now to why I'm giving a slightly lower rating - first the sites do not have a fire pit, at least most of them don't. You have to get a pan from the store, and I was rudely told on the phone I had to buy firewood from them to get a fire pit. Which was fine, ok, but the fire pan is very small, and can only hold about 4 pieces of wood. Next they say all fires must be out by midnight. Normally we would get back to the campsite around 11pm and that only left an hour for a fire. We kept ours longer and no one came by to yell at us though, probably because we were way out in the rustic area. The place also double charged me for the extra adults and extra vehicle we had on our campsite. When I checked in, I asked what the additional charge was and was told that it is just a balance on the account. I later realized they charged me twice for the extra adult and vehicle, in which I had a credit put back without a problem. Last, our campsite was probably 5-10 minutes walk from the nearest restroom and shower. I understand we were in the super saver area so no complaints really. I'd just give the entire experience an average rating, there was nothing that I completely loved but didn't really hate any part of the experience either. I would stay here again if I was in the area because of the very reasonable prices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gaylord, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just spent a week here and can't say enough good things about it. Our site was huge, fhu, 50 amp, a block off the water. The roads are well taken care of -- no potholes and watered down every day to keep the dust down. The staff was friendly and always helpful. Free shuttle to the ferry and a discount on ferry tickets. We were in section 12, the 700 sites. So glad we stayed here and will definitely come back. We travel in a 40ft. motor home with four slides and the site was plenty roomy and private.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I haven't camped for years and we decided to give it a whirl, albeit in a tent. :) I felt the showers were nice, clean, and available. I didn't have to wait to use them at all. The campground itself is very clean as are the restrooms. We did not utilize the pool as it was unseasonably cool. The miniature golf was a bit rudimentary, but I'm sure the little ones enjoy it. The store has lots to offer and the prices are reasonable. The lots are smaller, but we didn't need the space others seem to complain about. Yes, the beach is rocky to no fault of the campground. If you've ever visited up north, specifically that area, that's what you expect. The views are breathtaking. Now the reasons I would rate this as average is simply because I did not like the oil pans that the campground gives you for free to use. It wasn't conducive to cooking and something I didn't expect at all. They are small. They clean one of the bathrooms at peak times when people actually use them. I'm not talking about the showers, but the bathrooms themselves. I'm sure there is a reason, but I had to go and didn't want to use the rustic ones and the wait was a bit long . One other thing... the rooster was a pest. I'm not sure who owns the rooster or where the thing lived, but hearing it crow BEFORE dawn and continuously thereafter was not ideal. I think what would make this a 5 star is bigger fire rings, make a few sites bigger, clean the bathrooms at off-peak times, and dispose of the rooster. :) Sorry, PETA fans...

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Got a full hook up site and when we were driving In and parked realized no fire pit. When we called office the rude girl said you have to go yo the camp store to pick up the pit. When we did my husband said its an old oil pan. What the heck!!!
Other sites had large fire puts like state campgrounds. The sites are really small and camp store prices Are not good. Wish I would have read reviews. Will Not recommend this campground!! Rude people In the check in prison guard type set up with screen glass Talk hole. Golf carts driving around checking things out no friendly or smile. Save your money. Dont camp here!

• Stayed August 2012
Frank R, Owner at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Its odd that someone can stay at our park and not mention the incredible natural setting or view (unmatched by any other campground in northern Michigan) - I wonder what they were looking for? When I see a review like this where the guest said their site was small, I wish they would say that they chose what is actually called a "small" (25 foot x 50 foot) full hookup site. They shop for price and don't want to pay the extra couple bucks for our extra large (40 foot x 60 foot) RV sites. Those sites were created for people who want to save money. That's fine, but then don't complain that you had a small site. Since those sites are small we allow campers to use their own fire containers or we give them one for free. This is so they can put their fire where it works best. You don't have to complain about the size of the container when it is ok to use several containers if you want a bigger fire. We have installed a few hundred large fire pits on the larger sites and will continue to do so over the next several years. When someone complains about our staff, I wonder what their attitude was - as you will see by our other reviews we have a hard working, well trained and friendly staff, on hand 24-7 for any issue that may arise. We can say with confidence that our staff really goes the extra mile for our guests. Our office is open in many seasons and in in-climate weather, so for the comfort of the staff, we have registration windows. Because you were registered through a window you think it was like a prison guard? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion - that's a bit of a stretch.
Auburn, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Despite reading the bad reviews before we left for Mackinaw City, we stayed on Road B Lot 411 as it was the only place we could find available for the whole week. Our expectations were low and since I had read about the fire pans before we left, I brought along an electric fry pan with us to cook with since we normally cook on a campfire while on vacation. That worked out great since the kitchen in our tent isn't good for cooking. ;) It was a $15 a night super saver lot and a great value. Wasn't crowded during the week, lots more people there on the weekend. Didn't try the pool as it always looked crowded but the beach we enjoyed even more. Bring bikes if you can because it's a big place and they can be handy.

Bathrooms were always spotless. Was hard to get the tent stakes in the ground as it is quite gravely even when we dropped the tent in a alcove next to the trees. That can't be helped though as the ground in that area is naturally full of stones. Our neighbors next door had to run an electrical cord through our lot to reach the electrical box but we could live with that so they could have electricity. A cute chipmunk arrives at the picnic table at meal time. He's very friendly and allows you to get some great pictures of him. The lot is on a skunk route as a skunk wanders through each night just after dark looking for something to eat have everything put away at that time. He emerges from the woods right behind the electrical box. One evening my son and I were sitting in our camp chairs in front of the tent. Son was eating some cheese curls and had dropped on on the ground by my feet. Just after dark the skunk came out and I don't think he saw us as he charged the cheese curl at a dead run. This startled my son enough that he stood up from his chair. The skunk then saw him so made a fast turn and ran back in the woods with his tail high. We weren't sprayed but it was a close call, the remainder of the week we just made sure we were in the tent before it got dark.

Everyone was really friendly, even the other campers. They had rides for the little ones in the evening with a fire truck and hayride. Very nice place overall! We had a great time and the location made it perfect for day trips to Mackinaw Island and surrounding attractions. One problem is the staff rides around the park very quickly in golf carts and other vechicles which I had to jump out of the way twice to avoid being hit on the way to the bathroom. The speed limit is 5 mph which is quite slow but other campers observed it, just not the staff.

Cedar Springs, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Traveled with 34ft 5th Wheel, stayed in a full hookup site Row 4. Water front provided great views of the Straights of Mackinaw and Mackinaw Island. Very crowded and TIGHT LOTS. Could not deploy awning due to limited space with lot size and scrub trees. Sites were somewhat level, only had to use one layer of leveling pads. Number of bath houses compared to camp sites not practical. This campground has grown in size over the years but not in camper amenities. Roads are paved but the lots are crushed rock with weed/grass.

WiFi is Tengo, remember you are in Northern Michigan so if you are used to cable or 4g this will surely slow you down a bit. (remember the days of dial up). If you need internet make sure to request a site that has coverage. Not all areas provide coverage I requested a site near the tower, service was acceptable only a few drops.

Speed limit is 5mph which is great! Many children playing and riding their bikes on or near the roads. Because of sprawling size of campground be prepared to schedule at least 15 minutes to exit the park.

Per my Son, game room was bad, many machines did not work, free computer in store/game room out of service, store provided limited items. Swimming pool is 4ft to 5ft deep, due to size of campground the pool was extremely overcrowded when the heater was working. Per the staff in the store, the heater needed repairs the second day of the stay, the pool cooled off quickly, most people just avoided it until the heater was fixed. Still cold in respect to other "heated pools".

We would return for the views, not the amenities. If they improve the amenities this would really be a great place to stay for extended vacations.

WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We rented one of the cabins for 3 days & absolutely loved the location! Across from the beach with views of the freighter traffic, Mackinac Island & the bridge. Cabins were spacious, very clean & comfortable. Make sure to bring along lawn chairs! Facilities were clean & store had good selections of things you may have forgotten. Check in was very impressive with knowledgable staff & no waiting. We did arrive an hour earlier than our check in time but everything was ready & welcoming. I did our reservations on-line & they called within minutes to confirm dates & cabin style/size. Will certainly return & recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground? Share your experiences!