“Nice little Motel and VERY CLEAN!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Vindel Motel
223 W. Central Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Rochester Hills
“Nice little Motel and VERY CLEAN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Now me and my mom went on a 2 week vacation up north and stayed everywhere from a $350 a night room at the Grand Traverse Hotel to $240 dollar a night room on Lake Michigan in Traverse City to a bunch of B&B's and this was in the top 2 places we stayed at just by the sheer comfort factor and overall cleanliness of the place. Now my mom is one of the biggest clean freaks you'll ever meet and me being her son likes a clean place but I'm no where as bad as her and she thought that it was one of the Cleanliest Hotel/Motel's she's ever stayed. Beds and pillows were comfy. This isn't a 4 or 5 star Hotel its a Motel so don't go there thinking its something its not. The owners are super friendly and its priced fair. The location is off the strip a little bit but thats fine for me its like a 5 min walk. So if you want clean comfy friendly try this place out!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Edwardsburg, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and myself Stayed at the Vindel on our way up to whitefish. It's very clean, well kept grounds. I felt safe. Had the best sleep in ages!...loved the mattress. Very friendly staff/owners? We plan on staying again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Vindel was our first stop on a 9 day trip to the Upper Peninsula. We got a bit of a late start & after stopping in Gaylord for dinner, we decided to call it a night in Mackinaw City. For the first time ever, we took our dog with us and needed a pet friendly establishment. Also for the first time, I decided to rely on the reviews. Here's the deal - the Trip advisor gradng scale isn't hotel/motel specific as they use the same >generalized< scale for everything so one must adapt their comments accordingly. Based on the room we had - very clean with decent beds and pillows - but as basic a room as it gets, I give this an "average" for the level of facility it is - it is nothing close to the Greenbriar, it is a very CLEAN but VERY BASIC MOTEL with what looks like a clean outdoor pool in the front by the road - and that's it. Nothing was "above and beyond" like these other reviews. The Vindel is a very clean very basic Motel which I feel is a bit over-priced at $91/night for what it is mind you. I was happy to get away with that per night but for the most basic of motels it seems a bit high!

Room Tip: According to some of the reviews prior to mine, they have updated some rooms - ours was not. If you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Charlevoix, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Vindel Motel on many occasions over the last 2 years. It is without question, the BEST place to stay in Mackinac City. I have experienced quite a few of the lodging alternatives in town over the years. Some good and some not so good. The Vindel is not the easiest place to find as it is on the West side of 1-75. Consequently, for years I chose places right downtown or on "motel row", the collection of various hotels/motels near the boats docks. I rolled into town one evening and my usual places were booked and a very smart bartender suggested the Vindel. The rest is history. I will never stay anywhere else when in town.

Incredibly gracious, conscientious owners that relatively recently purchased the motel and are determined to make it the best place in town. Carpets have been replaced, several rooms have been remodeled, refrigerators added to each room with additional upgrades ongoing. Every room is clean and well lit and the location is perfect. Close enough to walk to town and far enough away to avoid the crush of tourists.

This is the perfect place for motorcycle enthusiasts, snowmobilers or just a place to crash with the family after a day on the island!

Room Tip: I always request a room in the back corner where the covered patio is located. Doing so seems to pro...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hazel Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

OMG. I loved this place. Its on the western side of the bridge but still "walking distance, about 4 blocks " to the main central ave strip., so its peaceful and a body can get some sleep. For the price i wasnt expecting such a beautiful room. They are all non smoking so no stale smoke smell. We stayed in the room with two beds for a little more space, this room was a little more updated with a flat scree, mini fridge and microwave The place was extremely clean and very well taken care of. The staff/owners are very attentive, friendly and helpful. The pool was clean during the day but like with any outdoor pool in the summer, the fish flies took over at night, my only issue was the pool temp as way too cold even in 85 degree weather. If you are looking for a very well-maintained place for a get away this is it. My fiance had never stayed in a motel before and he was so impressed with the Vindel, he wants to stay here whenever we go back to Mackinaw.

Room Tip: Brought my own iron and blow dryer. Get the room with two beds for an extra 10.00 its worth the extr...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I have stayed at many fine hotels and resorts in America . The Vindel Motel was recommended by the local Shell gas station and a downtown restaurant. Nice curb appeal,Outstanding service, clean room, comfortable bed, great towels and good pillows.
I give the new owners five stairs. It was like staying at the Greenbrier.
Keep up the good work Clara and Mark. P.S.( when I see Donald Trump I'm going tell him about this little gem.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Charlevoix, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We have stayed at LOTS of places in Mackinac City over the years. The Vindel is BY FAR, the best place in town. Clean, modern and centrally located. The place switched hands in 2010 and the new owners are the best. VERY accommodating and personable. We stayed at the Vindel several times in 2010 and each was an enjoyable, classy experience. We won't stay anywhere else in Mackinac City!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Vindel Motel? Share your experiences!