“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed here while passing through on a family vacation. We were excited that it had a pool & it's own beach but were really disappointed in both once we arrived. The pool was in poor condition, full of bugs & I saw a used band-aid laying near the pool. The water was freezing & we were only able to swim a couple minutes. The beach was just as disappointing. There was goose poop all over which didn't allow our kids to play in the sand. The room itself was also disappointing. There were ants all over the bathroom & the air conditioning unit didn't work. The bathtub & toliet were full of rust & the beds were less then medicore. We paid $100 for the room & felt like we had been ripped off. It would have been a better deal to pay a little more for a nicer place. The only bright side was the owners were friendly, it's just too bad they couldn't have had a nicer motel.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canton Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

As always, this motel ..........along with the other 2 sister motels next door provides a traveler with everything they need.
The rooms are clean and quiet and even some have the knotty pine paneling if you are looking for that "up north" feeling!
The grounds are immaculate with seating by the beach to enjoy your morning coffee.
The indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub are clean, spacious and refreshing.
The breakfast is simple, if juice, cereal and coffee are all you require.
Prices are extremely reasonable and the view of the bridge is perfect!
Why spend alot of $$$ to shower an sleep.............when you can spend it having so much fun in town.
Park outside your door, free ice and pop machines, friendly, helpful staff and a no worries destination!!!! Thanks again for a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Chesterfield, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I normally book hotel reservations on a hotels website but this time I figured I would try Hotwire! Well..this was a mistake! I understand that $68 per night doesn't afford extreme comfort but....this hotel stinks of old mildew and must, the beds were awful, the blanket was made out of sandpaper, air conditioner was so loud and clunking it was unreal! Tiny rooms, no coffee maker, no refrigerator, old musty shower with tile from 1948, filthy dirty blinds, smashed bugs on the walls and ceilings, and again, it STANK. We noticed the room service menu and then realized there is NO PHONE in the room! I booked 3 nights through Hotwire thinking we would have a wonderful time! We drove six hours to get there and left Mackinaw City after one terrible night. I have asthma and the smell in that room was so bad I can't describe it. We ran the air conditioner for seven hours and it didn't help! If you're traveling to Mackinaw City I strongly suggest that you rent a room at a better hotel. I regret trying to save money and I regret booking through Hotwire as they would not refund me even the last day ($68!) nor would the greedy old woman that runs the place! She blamed Hotwire and said they wouldn't refund me and when I called Hotwire they blamed her and said that the hotel does not offer refunds. Beware! My vacation would have been saved had I just driven out there and looked for myself!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! It needs to be demolished and rebuilt.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I selected this motel because it ranked high in tripadvisor ratings, but have learned to look at numbers of reviews now. This is just the basics. It is somewhat misleading because if you book at this motel, the continental breakfast is at the next hotel over and the pool is one more motel over. In other words, it's a trio of motels run by one office. The rooms are dated with nothing extra. Old towels, hard mattresses, plumbing that works but just the standard. My husband is 6'3" and he couldn't use the shower as it was too low. The high point- it is on the beach and they do have a campfire pit and BBQ grils you can use. There's also the advantage of having your car right outside your door. Breakfast was just bagels and mini muffins, cereal, juice. We opted to go to a pancake house instead. It was only $80 for 2 queen beds so the price was cheap.

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

booked our vacation at the northwind motel for 28 people and the staff was amazing and very helpful! the view was amazing from this motel. the rooms were clean and the picnic/ fire pit area suited our group just fine! had the best time here and would recommend it to anyone. if your not the type of person who needs the finest place to stay well you will be more then happy to stay here. we recieved free shuttle to the island dock to get the ferry and free shuttle to the casino. can't wait to book my next vacation back there at the northwind motel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Battle Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

After we left the Anchor Inn, we found very nice people at Northwinds Motel on the lake. The rooms are clean, staff very pleasant, pool clean, hot tub clean and hot. There is a nice beach, a place for a fire and we watched the fire works over the lake. We stayed three nights and will go again. Recommend this motel to everyone coming to Mackinaw City.
They also had a very nice breakfast available.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

My aunt and I recently stayed at the Northwinds prior to a day touring Mackinac Island. Very comfortable room right on Lake Huron. We were treated to a spectacular sunrise right from our front door. Nice continental breakfast. Very reasonable rates compared to the "name brand" motels in the area. Bright, clean rooms. Ours had a microwave and fridge. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Northwinds Motel? Share your experiences!