“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Chicago
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I always like to support local businesses, which is why I stayed here instead of a chain hotel/motel when I visited the area in July 2012. Big mistake! The view was pretty, but that's the only nice thing about this place. It's run by a husband/wife... The husband was very unfriendly and rude. So much for hospitality! Frankly he gave me the creeps, but I could have gotten passed that. However, the walls were so thin I could hear the entire conversation in the room next door. The beds were uncomfortable & there were spiders all over the bathroom! Yuck! Also, what place doesn't offer Wi-Fi in 2012??!! I wasnt expecting free Internet, but at least give me an option to pay a daily fee like other places do... So much for getting any work done during my trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Marietta D, Owner at Riviera Motel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We're sorry that you felt that you did not have a good experience staying with us. We take a lot of pride in our business and we appreciate all comments made by our guests. Our WIFI was updated in June of 2011 and has been offered free to our guests since 2010. Our guests can use our WIFI within a 300 feet radius of our building. We constantly monitor our signal to make sure that our guests are able to receive a good signal.
Our rooms are checked daily for cleaniness and to make sure our guests have a comfortable stay. If a guest tells us that they are not comfortable, we do everything possible to ressolve any issue.
We thank-you for taking the time to review our motel.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is our second stay at the Riveria, the owners are friendly and full of information and the location can't be beat! You are on the water and very close to the bridge, the room is clean and comfortable. I just wish that I had the time to use the pool as it did look clean and refreshing. We were only there for about 12 hours, so we didn't have much time to enjoy the location, the price was about $160.00, I don't know what the other local hotels get for a night, so I have nothing to compare the Riveria to.
The rooms themselves could use some updating and for the price I would expect a bagel or piece of fruit with my coffee, however they did direct us to a nice restaurant just down the street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tinley Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We decided to stay here the night before we made our way into Mackinaw Island. We drove for about 7 hours that day and wanted somewhere clean to crash just for the night. We wanted to stay at the motel across the street but they were full and kindly directed us here to their neighbor. The hotel was clean and that is what we wanted (except for I have to mention the strange array of potato chips on the window sill that looks outside, maybe the cleaning lady was hungry and was daydreaming out the window...lol). That leads me to the view, it was gorgeous, and I was taken in by the beautiful view of the bridge and the water around it. The motel was very well kept, clean pool area that overlooked the water and seemed very relaxing although we didn't get to use it. We made it in about 8pm that night, went into Mackinaw City and had dinner and looked around and made our game plan for the next day. This motel is about 2 minutes from Mackinaw City. We had a nice evening although it was quick, we found our way to the ferry and purchased our tickets that night to save ourselves time in the am. The owners were pleasant when we checked in, and we were gone by 8:30 the next morning. All of a 12 hour stay. If your not looking to break the bank before you get to the island, and just want a place to sleep the night, this was exactly what we were looking for. My husband and I sat outside our room until about 11pm and enjoyed the view. If we had to do it all over again, we would do this in a second. Thanks Riviera Motel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We decided to stay in town at the last minute & hadn't made reservations anywhere. Most places in walking distance of the shops & view were sold out or charging in the $400s for a single night (& they weren't even waterfront). The Riviera had a room open up at the last minute & we jumped at the chance. The price difference was over $200 LESS then the uglier, bigger, chain hotel. On top of that, the people who own the place live there & work the front desk. They were very nice.

The room was dated (50s-decor), but was more than fine for our needs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Saugatuck, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed there right after the 4th of July last summer. Added 2 extra nights to the trip because of the relaxing time with family. The building is not new but is clean. Nice safe pool area to relax at with kids. Easy bike ride to the ferry. Easy walk to nice restaurants. We had pleasant interactions with the owners. In fact, we left a few items and they kindly mailed them back to us without expense. The windows stay open for the breeze so partying likely not appreciated by all guests. Going back this summer. If you are looking for a moderately priced clean hotel with a great view and location this is a nice choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

To Mr. Never Go Back,

I do believe you are mistaken. I was also at the Riviera at the time of your visit. Even though I was a few doors down from you, I can assure you that your review of this establishment was missing a few key details. As I recall, you and your girlfriend were (to be kind) quite intoxicated, and listening to obnoxious music into the early morning hours. I also have quite a hard time believing that the owners (who happen to be very kind and extremely helpful) put you out of the motel for something as rediculous as locking yourself out at two o'clock in the morning. I have done the same thing a couple times. As far as there being a scene the next morning, you deserved to be treated as you were. I was on my way to the lobby for another cup of coffee, and heard how you addressed the owners wife. There was absolutely no excuse for your behavior. There is no reason on Earth to be disrespectful and rude to others (even if they are a complete stranger.)

To Hoodwinked By The Riviera,

I have stayed with the Riviera for several years now, and I can honestly say that the owners would NEVER "give a room away." When making a reservation, I ALWAYS pick up the phone to make my reservation, and have NEVER had any kind of trouble. Computer contact, no matter who the sender/recipient is , is not reliable. Besides, everyone makes mistakes...you referred to them as Riviera Hotel, when in fact they are Riviera Motel.

To everyone else, yes the rooms are a bit outdated, so what. The AMAZING view, the coupons the motel offers, and the helpfulness and sheer kindness from the owners make up for it. I would NEVER stay anywhere else in Mackinaw, because the service at the Riviera is the BEST!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We have stayed stayed at the Riviera for nearly 30 years and three owners. The sounds and smells of the lakes are great. The view is wonderful and the price is in line with everyone else.

• Stayed October 2011