“Be Honest” 4 of 5 stars

Michigan
“Be Honest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

To Mr. Never Go Back,

I do believe you are mistaken. I was also at the Riviera at the time of your visit. Even though I was a few doors down from you, I can assure you that your review of this establishment was missing a few key details. As I recall, you and your girlfriend were (to be kind) quite intoxicated, and listening to obnoxious music into the early morning hours. I also have quite a hard time believing that the owners (who happen to be very kind and extremely helpful) put you out of the motel for something as rediculous as locking yourself out at two o'clock in the morning. I have done the same thing a couple times. As far as there being a scene the next morning, you deserved to be treated as you were. I was on my way to the lobby for another cup of coffee, and heard how you addressed the owners wife. There was absolutely no excuse for your behavior. There is no reason on Earth to be disrespectful and rude to others (even if they are a complete stranger.)

To Hoodwinked By The Riviera,

I have stayed with the Riviera for several years now, and I can honestly say that the owners would NEVER "give a room away." When making a reservation, I ALWAYS pick up the phone to make my reservation, and have NEVER had any kind of trouble. Computer contact, no matter who the sender/recipient is , is not reliable. Besides, everyone makes mistakes...you referred to them as Riviera Hotel, when in fact they are Riviera Motel.

To everyone else, yes the rooms are a bit outdated, so what. The AMAZING view, the coupons the motel offers, and the helpfulness and sheer kindness from the owners make up for it. I would NEVER stay anywhere else in Mackinaw, because the service at the Riviera is the BEST!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We have stayed stayed at the Riviera for nearly 30 years and three owners. The sounds and smells of the lakes are great. The view is wonderful and the price is in line with everyone else.

• Stayed October 2011
St Joseph Mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I reserved a room for this weekend at the Riviera. The website showed that a room was available. I received 2 confirmations via E-mail. The next day - late in the day, I received a phone call saying they didn't have a room available, that they confirmed it by accident. I think they gave my room to someone else.

Room Tip: Can't rate it because they gave my room to someone else
Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My stay at riviera motel ,made reservation in room 212 for the 28 &29 of July 2011,my intention was to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage,on arrival it seemed like the ideal spot,veiw of the bridge,and near the water was great ,and the private balcony was terrific,things however turned very bad ,the morning of the 29th received a 7:30 am call from the office informing us that we had to leave in 15 minutes because we were supposedly disturbing other quest in the motel the night of the 28th, not getting a courtesy call from the office the night in question in my opinon was very unprofessional,so I went to the office after being awakened asking for more then 15 minutes to leave, she answered I don"t have to and if your not out in 15 miins. I"ll call the police , which she did, so my girlfriend and I had to repack and leave under embarrasssing condition in front of two police officers and her,I don"t think her actions were justified and it was a very cruel way to handle the situation, maybe her vindictive reason was from when I had to wake her up ,because I had locked myself out at 2 am leaving the motel key in the room,she had to open it for us ,I think she violated my girlfriend an I as a person THANK YOU ? Final remarks I think the owners of the riviera motel in future should consider the feeling of quest, and to resolve problems that arrise in a more social courtesy manner, and not use the irrational measure that were used against me and my girlfriend.

Room Tip: go to sleep before the sun goes down
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We paid $115 for a room that, if you craned your neck, you could see the Mackinaw Bridge from one window, but there was a good view of trees on the other side of the room. The really good views will cost you $165! The motel is night next to the lake and there is a wonderful view from the pool area which we were able to enjoy only one night because there were screaming kids in the pool on the first night we were there. You can walk to the lake easily and the motel is in a very pretty setting--between two parks. The room was adequate. There is no coffee in the rooms, but there is coffee in the office at 7:30 a.m., but no continental breakfast. The Internet didn't work on the first day, but it did the next. The owner is not exactly "Mr. Personality," but he met our requests. If you want the best location, this is the place, if you're looking for amenities, it is NOT.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at the Riviera for 2 nights in a bridgeview room, and had a great time. Although the motel is old and rather dated, it's clean and comfortable (except for the bathrooms, which are in desperate need of updating...but we put up with them for the view). The location just can't be beat: when we opened our door each evening, we were treated to the sight of the Mackinac Bridge with all its lights framed in our window. Taking just a few steps outside our door, we were in the marvelous park next door. And at night we fell asleep to the sound of the waves on the shore...got the best sleep we've ever had in a hotel, anywhere! Convenient and relaxing, the Riviera is going to be our first choice whenever we're in Mackinaw (but we do wish they'd redo their bathrooms!)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NW Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed in this motel for one night. It is expensive ($100) but the location makes it worth it. It is next to the Mackinaw City Lighthouse. The Alexander Henry Park is on the other side. You are on the beach with the Mackinac Bridge right in front of you. Wonderful in the evening or night (also day!). They give you a coupon for a 10% discount at a restaurant. They have a pool which our grandson used. The motel itself is average but clean. Pleasant owners. Very close to all the sites in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Riviera Motel? Share your experiences!