“Mackinaw's best” 5 of 5 stars

520 N. Huron Ave., Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #11 of 41 hotels in Mackinaw City
“Mackinaw's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We have stayed stayed at the Riviera for nearly 30 years and three owners. The sounds and smells of the lakes are great. The view is wonderful and the price is in line with everyone else.

• Stayed October 2011

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St Joseph Mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I reserved a room for this weekend at the Riviera. The website showed that a room was available. I received 2 confirmations via E-mail. The next day - late in the day, I received a phone call saying they didn't have a room available, that they confirmed it by accident. I think they gave my room to someone else.

Room Tip: Can't rate it because they gave my room to someone else
Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My stay at riviera motel ,made reservation in room 212 for the 28 &29 of July 2011,my intention was to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage,on arrival it seemed like the ideal spot,veiw of the bridge,and near the water was great ,and the private balcony was terrific,things however turned very bad ,the morning of the 29th received a 7:30 am call from the office informing us that we had to leave in 15 minutes because we were supposedly disturbing other quest in the motel the night of the 28th, not getting a courtesy call from the office the night in question in my opinon was very unprofessional,so I went to the office after being awakened asking for more then 15 minutes to leave, she answered I don"t have to and if your not out in 15 miins. I"ll call the police , which she did, so my girlfriend and I had to repack and leave under embarrasssing condition in front of two police officers and her,I don"t think her actions were justified and it was a very cruel way to handle the situation, maybe her vindictive reason was from when I had to wake her up ,because I had locked myself out at 2 am leaving the motel key in the room,she had to open it for us ,I think she violated my girlfriend an I as a person THANK YOU ? Final remarks I think the owners of the riviera motel in future should consider the feeling of quest, and to resolve problems that arrise in a more social courtesy manner, and not use the irrational measure that were used against me and my girlfriend.

Room Tip: go to sleep before the sun goes down
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Topeka, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We paid $115 for a room that, if you craned your neck, you could see the Mackinaw Bridge from one window, but there was a good view of trees on the other side of the room. The really good views will cost you $165! The motel is night next to the lake and there is a wonderful view from the pool area which we were able to enjoy only one night because there were screaming kids in the pool on the first night we were there. You can walk to the lake easily and the motel is in a very pretty setting--between two parks. The room was adequate. There is no coffee in the rooms, but there is coffee in the office at 7:30 a.m., but no continental breakfast. The Internet didn't work on the first day, but it did the next. The owner is not exactly "Mr. Personality," but he met our requests. If you want the best location, this is the place, if you're looking for amenities, it is NOT.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed at the Riviera for 2 nights in a bridgeview room, and had a great time. Although the motel is old and rather dated, it's clean and comfortable (except for the bathrooms, which are in desperate need of updating...but we put up with them for the view). The location just can't be beat: when we opened our door each evening, we were treated to the sight of the Mackinac Bridge with all its lights framed in our window. Taking just a few steps outside our door, we were in the marvelous park next door. And at night we fell asleep to the sound of the waves on the shore...got the best sleep we've ever had in a hotel, anywhere! Convenient and relaxing, the Riviera is going to be our first choice whenever we're in Mackinaw (but we do wish they'd redo their bathrooms!)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NW Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed in this motel for one night. It is expensive ($100) but the location makes it worth it. It is next to the Mackinaw City Lighthouse. The Alexander Henry Park is on the other side. You are on the beach with the Mackinac Bridge right in front of you. Wonderful in the evening or night (also day!). They give you a coupon for a 10% discount at a restaurant. They have a pool which our grandson used. The motel itself is average but clean. Pleasant owners. Very close to all the sites in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan
2,034 helpful votes 2,034 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed our first stay at this motel last September during the Truck & Light Show; nice owners, clean rooms, very basic. Definitely needs some remodeling & updating inside. Beds comfortable. I am surprised they don't have a frig in the rooms. You can't beat the view and location. Bridge, beach, park, lighthouse all right at your fingertips. Very nice pool, well kept grounds. Nothing like listening to the waves roll up onto the beach. Quiet. However, upon my 2nd visit, though I had the same room, I wasn't quite as impressed this time. Very few people there and I think I made the mistake of reserving a room; I should have just known there would be availability and then tried to get the room I wanted (the end room with either the balcony on 2nd or the deck on 1st) and try to negotiate the rate. It is not worth $140 a night at that time of year at all. Our balcony was plastered with mosquitos and impossible to sit out on. Probably not a solution to that, but rates should be adjusted for such. There are several small mom and pop motels in town and many have continental breakfast-some with views, some not, but much lower rates. So is a toss up-if you can get a good rate, do stay here, but do check with others in town, also.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Riviera Motel? Share your experiences!