“Great for families” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
michigan
“Great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed two nights here and had a very pleasant stay. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, but the room door was crooked and took some effort to latch properly. Also the lights in the bathroom would randomly shut off. As others have noted the beach is not great for swimming, but the view is fanastic. Also, as others have noted, the breakfast was not the greatest. The pool area was clean and well kept. The fitness facility consisted of two treadmills, a stairstepper, and a boombox.

Overall, I would say is better than average, and a good value for the money.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

OK, Now although I rated everything excellent I will how ever get into some things I noticed at the end of the review.

I honestly don't have anything to compare this hotel to as this is my first time staying in Mackinaw City. I can however say that I did a heck of a lot of searching and reading reviews before I picked this hotel. Not every hotel is perfect but I liked the fact that Management responds to the reviews on here that someone has a complaint. This was something that I thought was showing the extra effort by their management.

The room was awesome. When we first got there the sink in the wet bar had a leak. I called Andrew at the front desk and he sent a guy right away to look at it. Now when I say right away I mean I think the maintenance guy was in the next room. I hung up the phone and like Juan Valdez in a Colombian house coffee commercial the maintenance guy appeared at the hotel room door.

The pool was very nice. We only got to swim the last night of our trip but it's a fairly large pool and never once did I feel elbow to elbow trying to swim with the other adults and kids.

The hotel is very clean. very much so that my pregnant wife could smell every cleaning chemicals in the place. You could tell that they treat the hallways & carpets or they had just had them done.

All of our requests were met by the staff at the front desk, even when we had to call to mentioned the what we thought was furniture being moved in the floor above us. Just some kids having some fun but after two hours of it, My wife called and the issue was taken care of.

The view was OK, I would have liked to have been on a higher floor. But that wasn't that big of a deal at all. I wish they would do a little to improve the beach as it just needs to be maintained. It's not the hotels fault. It's just nature. Having the balcony was a plus.

The fridge came in handy to keep out Mackinac Island Fudge cold and are pop and snacks,

The free breakfast is not the best in the world nor is it the worst. I have read a lot of reviews on here that agree with me. it's not a deal breaker at all. I would however suggest maybe another drink besides orange juice.

When all is said & done, I would defiantly recommend this hotel. I have posted some pics and there is also a video on YouTube of our room just search mackinaw beach & bay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

We were heading to lower Michigan from Wisconsin and wanted to break up our trip. With so many hotel choices we were not sure where we wanted to stay, other than on the beach. We chose the Mackinaw Beach and Bay. I was told our room was two queens. Upon arrival, we had a suite. It turns out it's an "all suite" hotel. It's not a year old yet. Clean rooms, great rates, quiet room, great breakfast, great staff! We will definately be back.

• Stayed June 2010
Romeoville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We had a great experience from the time we checked in! I reserved a standard room online but was upgraded to 2 room suite. I'm not sure why, but it was a really nice surprise! The room had everything we needed and it was spotless. Cleanliness of a hotel is a very big thing for me. Since we brought our own snacks & drinks, the mini fridge came in very convenient since didn't have to keep a cooler filled with ice for the entire trip. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They did have a indoor pool and hot tub, but we did not use it. The location is within walking distance to all ferry lines to the island. I love the fact that the entire hotel is smoke free and pet free - one of my deciding factors when choosing this hotel. It was more on the south end of the action, but that means it was a quiet area. The drive to the local stores and restaurants was literally just a few minutes, but some were within walking distance. The beds were actually quite comfortable and the pillows were plump & firm, just the way I like them.

There is one category missing for a rating - amenities. There were a few things we wish could have been better, but by no means would these things affect my decision for a future stay or a recommendation. We saw only one vending (1 for snacks, 1 for drinks) and one ice machine in the whole building, which was on the first floor. We were on the 4th floor, so we would have to go downstairs everytime for ice, which wasn't very often since we had the mini fridge. I'm just used to seeing hotels with vending on each floor. I am seeing that some of description on their website has changed since I booked it in March. The website said there was a full breakfast buffet - maybe not in those exact words, but it implied that it was more than just the basic bagels & donuts continental breakfast. We were a little disappointed at the selection - no fresh fruit of any kind, limited beverages (only OJ & coffee and my boyfriend can't drink either of them), no meats, and there were only 2 waffle irons that looked like they had never been cleaned. If you are a beach person (which I am not), the beach wasn't the greatest, but it would have been good enough to pull up a lounge chair to layout on. This really isn't the hotel's fault - it was were all of the Canadian geese and seagulls decided to stay too.

Again, these are not things that would prevent me from staying here again. In fact, if I visit the area again, this is the first hotel I'm looking at. Great job Mackinaw Bay!

I can post photos of our room at a later time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Out of 6-7 visits this was the best stay in Mackinaw City. Clean, new, large rooms, balcony, lake view. Nice pool, internet.
Almost Mexican resort ..... every day cleaning, new towels, no problem if you need extra.
We've got really chip deal on Orbits.com, way under $100 a day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Saginaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We read the reviews about this hotel and decided to give it a try. The reviews were correct, this hotel was clean, the rooms were more than spacious and the staff was wonderful. We traveled with two small children and the two tvs and dvd player in the room worked out great. The view was spectacular and the hotel was a little more out of the busy downtown which made it easy to get in and out of. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Very clean rooms. Liked separate bedrooms and two tvs. Convenient to ferry line. Teenagers enjoyed pool and hot tub. Breakfast was basic continental with waffles. This will be our hotel of choice when visiting Mackinac in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!