“Didn't want to Leave! Great Room with Lakefront View!” 5 of 5 stars

Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   929 South Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
“Didn't want to Leave! Great Room with Lakefront View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

After looking on booking.com we decided to give this hotel a try. Couldn't be happier with our decision. Even though it was off-season, I never expected such a great room and amenities for less than $80 a night. Was surprised to find that every room in the building is a suite with it's own private balcony and lakefront view. Our room was considered Suite A, with a pull out sofa and Queen Bed in one half. The other half contained a King Bed. The halves were separated by a wet bar area with frig, microwave, sink and coffee maker. Bathroom was spacious, with large amount of counter space. Breakfast was included in the price. Choices included a variety of breads, cereals, make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits and gravy. Even though we were only there one night, we would definitely come back again. Next time we would like to try out the pool and hot tub.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Howell, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I made online reservations to stay here one night in November on my way home from NMU. I was told I would receive confirmation within 72 hours and did not. So as my email instructed I contact Mackinaw Beach and Bay and they told me they would probably would not be open in November. Instead of just calling me or emailing me this information so I could go ahead and make other arrangements they say they were probably just going to move me to another hotel with lake front rooms. As it is only one night I am not concerned about lake front at this time I am more concerned about their lack of communication.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Overall our stay was very pleasant. Our king room was not ready so we were upgraded to a suite with 2 rooms (one with a king and one with a queen) which provided the sofa/seating area. Had a kitchenette with micro and fridge. There is a balcony that overlooks the lake with a lovely view. The small beach area behind the hotel is not nearly as nice as online pictures portray. The furniture is somewhat dated, but the rooms have obviously been upgraded recently. Beds were comfortable, and pillows were wonderful, but new bedspreads would go a long way in making the room feel more current. Front desk staff are very pleasant and accommodating, but the housekeeping staff rarely spoke or smiled unless spoken to. The pool was very large and well maintained. The hot tub had a decent temperature, but only half the jets were working. The biggest disappointment was the breakfast. The selection was very mediocre, lacking in healthy choices, and was very poorly organized. In the three days we were there, the variety in the limited hot food choices never changed. The staff member assigned to the area (I think her name was Sally) was not very friendly or helpful as guests struggled to locate things that were not placed in logical places. An empty sugar free syrup bottle was in the same place for two days. Aside from the breakfast issues our stay was quite enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manistique Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This place is so nice, The front desk is so helpful and kind. Then you get to your beautiful room overlooking the lake. The rooms are so spacious and very clean. Nice comfy beds. The balcony is very nice. You can see the Mackinaw Bridge from your room. You can watch the boats leaving for the Island. Great Stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

That's right - my family has stay here since it was built not too long ago. We love the balcony view and the rooms. Rooms are suites and though they have 2 beds, the kitchenette and bathroom split the room, so their is privacy. The beds tend to be too firm for me, but everyone else in my family likes them. The bed folds down into a bed too, if need. This year, they were sprucing up the entrance with cherry paneling and large paintings of the area. Very nice and classy. The front desk was very friendly, as usual per our stays, and told us of future updates for the place. Breakfast has waffles and delicious sausage gravy & biscuits! The only thing I really don't like is the pool area. It's closed in, but very limited with windows or very outside. Makes me feel claustrophobic. The Inn is further down from the main drag, but if you are a walker, there a nice sidewalk to stroll to the downtown area.

Room Tip: Request the 4th floor if you really want to enjoy the view of the Bridge and Island. If you have ki...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sheridan, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Beautiful view from our room of Lake Huron. The rooms were large suites with a couch which rolled out to a bed and a queen sized bed in the first room a kitchenette (microwave, bar sink, and small fridge) and bathroom second and another bedroom with a king size bed and a door which opened up to a balcony which overlooked Lake Huron.

The pool (which did not feel heated) was large with different levels of depth and our kids had a great time.

The hotel did have a free breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, make your own waffle, cereal and breads/rolls. The breakfast was not advertised by Priceline (I booked it on their express deal) so it was a great bonus.

The room was not be most beautiful room I have ever been in (nor did I expect it to be) but it more than lived up to my expectations of a 2.5 star hotel. I would gladly stay here again and give it a high recommendation.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms open to Lake Huron.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We read trip advisor reviews and were a little hesitant to stay here - mostly because of the reviews in which the guests had issues with the staff. Since our trip was after peak season, we suspected that we would have less of a chance of running into a staffing issue (less busy usually means less problems).

The woman at the front desk was very nice. We had asked for a first floor room, but a tour bus of seniors showed up just prior to us arriving and they took all of the first floor rooms. The woman at the front desk said that we really enjoy the view from the 4th floor. And she was right.

While the room did have a nice view, we noticed a smell upon entering the room - it smelled like someone had been smoking recently. The smell was not present on items in the room (bed, curtains), so we think that someone from the prior stay may have smoked in the room and then tried to camoflague it or perhaps the cleaning person was a smoker and had just left the room prior to us arriving...we opened the window and the smell was gone shortly after.

The other small thing was that the breakfast was just okay. The selection was average. The breakfast room was full of seniors and the room itself was stuffy. And since there is a rule that food can't be taken out of the breakfast room, we had no choice but to eat the meal in the stuffy breakfast room.

Everything else was about our stay was fine - so we give it 4 stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mackinaw Beach and Bay - Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!