“What a view!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“What a view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I thought this was a great hotel with an excellent price. The way our room was set up made it so the two beds were separated by the bathroom and a narrow hallway which gave the illusion of a two room suite. A nice touch.

The bed that was furthest from the door had a wonderful view of the lake and beach. There was a small balcony as well. Unfortunately, our room had a few bugs in it when we arrived. These were some sort of flying insect that we didn't notice at first. They were congregated in the corners of the ceiling near the windowed portion of the room. The bugs did not move around at all while we were there, and I am not sure where they came from. They did detract somewhat from my comfort, but they were as inoffensive as a pest could possibly be.

Overall, the room was comfortable and clean. I really think the bugs were a fluke; maybe housekeeping opened a window to air out the room before we got there.

The breakfast was standard fare. The pool area was really nice! It was a large pool that had a waterfall feature which poured water into it. Definitely better than I assumed it would be.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Freemajo

Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Decided to stop again on a Fall color tour. Mackinaw City was empty - had the streets to ourselves on Friday evening but the hotel had a bus load of "tour" participants and the place was full. You'd never now it - very quiet. The next morning even though they had a large number of guests the free breakfast was well supplied and we had no problems finding a seat or getting served. Really like this place - it will be our selection whenever we need a place in the area. This hotel is on the south side of town which is nice and makes it easy to get to from the highway.

Room Tip: Would suggest getting rooms away from the main stair that is next to the elevator only because the d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at Mackinaw Beach and Bay a couple of times and always enjoy our stay there. The hotel is clean and the staff friendly. The room is ideal for families with kids (kids on one side, parents on the other). The kids loved the pool. The breakfast is great (and free)! The last time we stayed there was over the Memorial Day weekend and we watched the fireworks over the water from our balcony - beautiful. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank lstoops
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place has it all - view, pool, hot tub, breakfast, and great value! We got a two room suite. Our son's room had a queen bed, flat screen t.v., and loveseat. Our room had a king bed, chair, flat screen t.v. and a beautiful view of the lake. You could also see the Mackinac Bridge and ferries that go to the island. The rooms were separated by the bathroom. There was a fridge, microwave and sink in the space between the two rooms. The sunrise and sunset were nice to watch along with the geese on the beach below. We had a balcony with two chairs and a table. The pool was huge and they also had a workout room with treadmills and an elliptical machine. The ride to the ferry boat was less than 5 minutes, and downtown wasn't much more than that. The countertops were granite and the beds were very comfortable. This was the best part as I have a very hard time finding a comfortable bed on vacation. The price for these accommodations was unbelievably low (less than $100/night!). You can get some great deals on the web. We've stayed in dumps that charged what this place does. The breakfast was a pretty good variety (scrambled eggs, biscuits/gravy, waffles, and the other usual breakfast fare). This is by far one of the best hotels we've stayed in. Much cheaper than staying on the island and a beautiful view.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view - you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank foodfreakftmyers
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My title about says it all. Seems as if there are no truly 'luxurious' places in Mackinaw City--lots of cookie-cutter hotels...While this place is along those lines, the rooms are HUGE. I was expecting our 'suite' to be a bedroom with a divider and a pull-out sofabed, but I was wrong...There was a bedroom (with a great view of Lake Huron) and the 'parlor' room had another king size bed, PLUS a sofa (which would pull out into a 3rd bed in the room). All rooms have an ocean view.

I believe all of the rooms are suites, but I don't think all of them have the second full bed...You might want to confirm with the hotel if you need 3 beds (we didn't).

The only semi-down side were the TVs. Yes, the suite had 2 flat-panel TVs, but they were pretty small--not quite appropriately-sized for the size of the room...But sure beat an old tube TV, that's for sure!

Everything was well appointed, the front desk staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and the breakfast (included) was palatable...Similar to what you'd get at a Hampton Inn--continental, plus a few hot items like scrambled (powdered) eggs and make-your-own waffles.

We were there for business and secured their conference room for our event. It was huge, a great value for the size, and suited us perfectly for our four days there.

We'll be back next year for our event at the same place, and look forward to returning to MB&B!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MichWorldTraveler
Belmont, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here during a recent trip for our anniversary. We were so pleased. From the minute we checked in, until the minute we left - everything was terrific. The rooms are very spacious, clean and set up just perfectly. The private balcony with chairs is perfect to watch the sunrise over Lake Huron. The private beach (complete with a fire pit) adds to the surprise. Take your blanket and sit on the balcony and RELAX!! We had a view of the bridge that is awesome at night, a terrific view of fireworks, and Mackinaw Island. The pool area is great, very large pool, "fountain", game room, exercise room, etc. My only complaint was the hot tub needs to be larger! The breakfast was great, and the breakfast room is large enough to accomodate everyone. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view. 1st floor has immediate access to beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Redford, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights a week ago and had a great stay. We had a lake-side, two bedroom suite with a private patio. I am SO MUCH a morning person and I LOVED to watch the amazing sunrises over the lake from my bed and from the patio. But it was chilly outside and the seagulls wanted food I didn't have and they squacked loudly in protest. Hahaha! The room had two flat screen TVs and a DVD player. The bed was very comfortable too and I'm spoiled by having a memory-foam, pillow top mattress at home. VERY nice bathroom/shower. I LOVE that they replace the shower curtains between visitors! Very clean room. They provided a nice continental breakfast especially for being off season! I didn't use the pool, but I was curious what it looked like, so I wandered down the long hallway to it..... it looks old and and It needs an update, but I would have taken a swim if I was in that mood/mode. All in all I would stay here again without any concerns. The staff was polite and helpful but I'm not one who needs a lot of help from them once I check in. The room had everything and we needed.
This isn't a knock against the hotel, but it needs to be mentioned...... Lake Huron water levels are dropping. I'm sure the beach here was beautiful before that all happened. All the other lakeside hotels have the same issue though..... no nice beaches anymore. All that considered.... I will stay here next time I'm in Mackinaw

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple