“Unprofessional / needs improvement” 2 of 5 stars

Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1027 South Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City, MI 49701   |
Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Mishawaka, Indiana
“Unprofessional / needs improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Upon arrival to this "new this year" hotel (which I believe meant under new ownership as this hotel is not a new hotel) we were given the wrong room. We inquired about changing rooms but they could not accomodate this request until I called the front desk back saying that we wanted to cancel our reservation (for 3 nights) and go to a different hotel in the area. They called us back within minutes and miraculously found a king room w/ sofa bed on the lake side - it ended up being a one bedroom w/ living room/kitchenette. We took the exchange at no additional cost but the room still was very out dated with carpet being pulled up in doorways, slider door did not lock, not "new" in any sense of the word.

The front dest employees were not very welcoming nor professional looking at all - wearing street clothes and jeans. You couldn't even tell if they were guests or employees. The pool guy / life guard looked like any other guest - no identifying attire to show us he was the Lifeguard on Duty.

The breakfast buffet worker was the only one who looked like a someone who worked there as she wore a kitchen smock/apron type item over her clothes. She was the hardest working person we saw in the entire building and was the most friendly! The breakfast was tasty and the hot food was hot. She kept the tables clean after people left and kept the food options filled full. This is the only area I would score a 4 or 5 (out of 5). She was GREAT!

The pool area could be much cleaner. It would be a great facility if more attention was given to it and proper pool maintenance was done. Their beach area is horrible... there is a sand beach with chairs but beyond that you have vegitation growing along the shoreline to cross over before getting to the water which is then rocky and mucky. You definitely need to wear flip flops or water shoes in this area and in the water. Again, attention to all the water areas of this hotel would make a world of difference!

Overall for the price we paid and after they got us a different room, we got our money's worth but I will not come back to this hotel the next time we visit the Mackinaw City area.

Room Tip: Corner suite much more roomier and great view if on lakeside! Third floor rooms do NOT have balacon...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The room was desolate. It lacked furniture and the furniture it had looked 50 years old and worn out, like it came from someones grandmother's house. The room made my whole family itch and there were mosquitoes in the room along with spiders on the balcony. Never again. I had to get a different hotel A.S.A.P. I don't understand how it could have been rated with a diamond. The hotel was supposedly made this year, seems like a big lie to me.

Room Tip: Avoid the two queen bed rooms.
Alpena, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in this Hotel two years previous and had a great experience, so were not prepared for how much this place has deteoriated. The first thing that greets you upon walking into the lobby is the overpowering smell of mildew. Even though we reserved two courtside rooms, we were given two rooms on the backside of the hotel. Upon entering the room the smell of mold was even stronger than in the lobby. I tried to open the window, but it would not open, the screen was hanging half off with a hole in it the size of a quarter with bees buzzing around. The carpet was wet under the air conditioner, and upon removing the front of the air conditioner it appeared to have mold growing . Since I have asthma, I went to the front desk to see if we had any options and was told the place was full so we couldn't be moved and that they would send up maintenance. We left for a short time and upon returning was told maintenance had been to the room and taken care of the issues. By this time it was 11:00 p.m., everyone was tired and nothing had been resolved. I called front desk again requesting they at least send someone to the room to help get the window open. To make a long story short, the laundry person came into our room with tools, vacuum and bleach and saved the day.
The pool and game room area are dirty and every single air tank at the lazy river broken. We saw several bandaids on the bottom of the pool, and mold/moss growing on the steps of the large slide. In addition there were cobwebs hanging off the light fixtures in the hallway, and the three + windows you have to pass to get to the breakfast buffet are thick wih webs and fishflies, I personally did not have an issue with the buffet itself. And last but not least there is not adequate parking spaces. The outside of this hotel is quite beautiful and it's a shame that it has deteriorated to this extent. We paid $302.00 for two rooms for one nights stay and would never stay at this place again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Where do I start? Let's see..we got there, huge buckets of laundry graced the lobby as I walked in to check in. We had a 2 queen plus sofa sleeper booked and was told it was unavailable, after I had called and confirmed my reservation two days prior....we were put in a King suite with a pull out sofa..we had six people to accommodate and they gave us two rollaways. Now with the Jacuzzi where the heck were they suppose to fit and what if there was a fire. We were not given any maps of hotel or told where anything was such as laundry room, water park, beach, breakfast etc. All those things you'd think they'd point out to you before you went to your room. We were moved the next day to room reserved, it smelled worst than the first. When we went to get our keys at 3 in the afternoon I was told it wasn't ready yet...WRONG answer. The place was full of cob webs, the windows looked like they had never been cleaned, they were in the stair wells. AWFUL. Waterpark closes at 10pm, lifeguard one of the only people there who was friendly and customer oriented. Attached to waterpark is a snackbar, no lights, no snacks, no nothing but restrooms......now well go to the 25 ft HOT breakfast bar that they advertise on line and in the AAA tourbook, let's see, one table is nothing but plastic wear, next you have scrambled egss, sausage, biscuits and gravy, then there is do it yourself toast and bagels with the cheapest of cheap jellies, cream cheese and butters, followed by cereal, oatmeal and milk that's not sitting in ice, just out to get warm, grow bacteria, etc., then there is a table of do it yourself waffles, if you want to wait in a 15-20 minute line. Watered down juice apple, orange and clear grape as well as watered down coffee. Oh and then let's finish it off with the beach....yes the private beach that is gated off for openers and then if you walk out to the "public" beach it's a filthy, nasty ,muddy, seagull poop hole that Michigan should be ashamed of as well as the city of Mackinaw.You need water shoes at this hotel, BADLY. Needless to say, very disappointing from the start, AAA needs to get a clue- they obviously haven't been back to that property in quite a while. Will never stay there again. Terrible isn't a good enough rating for it! Below sub par...........................

Swartz Creek, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with this review... Here is what we encountered.
1- Friday we checked in and we had already been in the car for 3 1/2 hours. My husband just wanted to wash his face with a cool washcloth. The 1st one he picked up had a ladies make up on it, the 2nd one he picked up had hair on it. We didn't complain knowing that accidents happen. We called for more washclothes and 45 minutes later they were brought to us.
2- Saturday we came back after going throughout the town and our bathroom was not cleaned (wrappers on the floor, dust from hairspray on the counter), the beds were not made and nothing was done other than we had clean towels. I have pictures of this that I will be glad to share.
3 - Sunday, I went to get ready for the day and took a washcloth into the shower with me. As I went to wash my face there was a hairball (black hair) all over the washcloth. I have pictures of this as well. I grabbed for another one and that was clean. I used the hand towels for my hair and when I went to open the one there was a BOOGER, yes it was clearly a booger on there. I have pictures of this as well. I still never complained just thought I would wait until the end of our stay. However, the icing that took the cake was when someone walked in our room. We had come back to cool down and take a break before heading out to dinner. As my two boys and little girl watched TV our room door opens... YES someone walked into our room. It was an older couple. I asked her where she was suppose to be and she said room 130. This is the room that we had been in since FRIDAY. I immediately went down the front desk. The lady apologized and then stated that the couple told her that they were in room 130 so she programmed their keys. She didn't ask for ID's apparently. At this time I also took down ANOTHER dirty washcloth down there with hair on it. The manager apologized and that was it. Nothing else was done. I just let it be.
A few other things that we encountered while there...
1 - Our blanket had a big hole in it.
2- The water park is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING like what is pictured on the website. There are no tiled walls and blue painted floors. Don't get me wrong it was a nice water park if they cleaned it more. Behind the slide (by the hot tub) there was algae growing on the floor. It was very dirty.
3- The beach is NOTHING like what is pictured on the website. I have pictures of the beach from outside our window and up close. It is very weedy and has black muck. There were people coming out of the water having to rinse their feet. We did not use the beach for this reason.
3- Our balcony which we paid extra for was filled with bugs and cobwebs. This was not new cobwebs - it looks like it was like this for a long time.
4- I personally asked where a vending machine was.. I was told down by the water park and that there was a snack station to get fountain pops if I wanted. I walked down there to find one vending machine with one row of Gatorade, the snack station looks like it has not been ran in weeks with no one there and I did find one vending machine with pop in it that was not where the snack station was.
4 - The breakfast buffet was not what they advertised. The girl working there was wonderful and was working her tail off. I felt so bad for her. When they advertise a 25 foot breakfast buffet I was expecting something like we had or even better from the other hotel that we had stayed in during previous years. This was nothing but two folding tables set up. Walking up there I couldn't believe how filthy the windows were.
We have gone to Mackinaw the past four years and have made a family vacation. This year we thought we would do something a little different. However, we have learned that we will never stay at this hotel nor will we recommend it to anyone. I couldn't believe that they didn't offer anything.. even 10% off or more than just a simple apology that was not sincere at all.
If I can upload the pictures I will.. I think that everyone should know that the cleanliness that could spread germs or the misleading advertising on their website.
I was truly disgusted and the customer service is awful.

Room Tip: Don't do it... that is all I can say. My husband has a lower immune system and I couldn't be...
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with our 2 children and were very pleased with the Bridge Vista. We stayed on the third floor and slept the best we ever have at a hotel. The hotel was nicely updated and we found the front desk staff to be very attentive and helpful. The rooms were clean and our only issue was that our room didnt' have a shower curtain. The front desk came up with one almost immediately. The waterpark was a nice feature and the kids had a blast. My only complaint about the waterpark is that the big slides are frequently shut down when the waterpark worker wants a break or has other issues to tend to in the waterpark. As others have mentioned, this worker has a shirt on that says "lifeguard" but he definitely is not a lifeguard. He is running the water slides and not paying attention to kids. You need to keep an eye on the younger kids at all times here. The beach is rocky and mucky, but from what I could see all the beaches at the neighboring hotels were like this and the Bridge Vista seemed to have the nicest beach looking down the beach towards the other hotels.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep without noise from above rooms, sleep on floor 3!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this hotel rated 3 diamonds, arriving there I found out it was only 2 diamonds by the local tourist bureau. We reserved a king size jacuzzi waterfront room. Turns out it was on the main floor. It had a patio, minus any chairs/side tables and no way to access the beach; you either had to exit hotel through lobby or jump over fence surrounding the patio. Shortly after, as we were unpacking, I opened the mini-fridge to find half-drunk bottles of water and beer (didn't really mind the beer, but really?). Thank goodness there weren't any perishable leftovers in the fridge. Who knows how long the drinks were in there.

The bath tub didn't drain very well. The 'beach' was some sand and very mucky sand and grass/marsh for the first 25 feet into Lake Huron. I refused to walk through it. My husband walked out about 100 ft and said it wasn't mucky out there. No thank you, I'll pass. The hallways and windows in the corridors needed a well deserved cleaning. Walking to the breakfast room, one such window was completely covered with spider webs and bugs. I couldn't find a clean spot on the window. Others were the same. Breakfast was okay. I suggest bringing your own coffee to brew, though. Closest coffee shop is downtown and the hotel coffee isn't very good.

I didn't use the water park. I asked about an outdoor pool that I saw advertised somewhere. They suggested I go to a hotel a few blocks down and use theirs. I guess they all share their water fun. Upon leaving I mentioned the tub, the chairs, and the fridge situation to the front desk. She asked why we didn't change rooms. It was the 4th of July, I assumed other rooms weren't available. She kept saying they would be switched out rooms if I said sooner that I was dissatisfied. But in the next breath she said it would've taken time to take care of us because it was a holiday. Exactly the reason why I didn't ask to switch rooms. She couldn't understand that. She simply wanted to get the last word on me and I wasn't going to let that happen.

Definitely not returning there. And a jacuzzi room on the first floor? Really? What do they expect people to do, close the curtains every time they use it? I don't think so.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!