“Horrible Experience!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Swartz Creek, Michigan, United States
“Horrible Experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with this review... Here is what we encountered.
1- Friday we checked in and we had already been in the car for 3 1/2 hours. My husband just wanted to wash his face with a cool washcloth. The 1st one he picked up had a ladies make up on it, the 2nd one he picked up had hair on it. We didn't complain knowing that accidents happen. We called for more washclothes and 45 minutes later they were brought to us.
2- Saturday we came back after going throughout the town and our bathroom was not cleaned (wrappers on the floor, dust from hairspray on the counter), the beds were not made and nothing was done other than we had clean towels. I have pictures of this that I will be glad to share.
3 - Sunday, I went to get ready for the day and took a washcloth into the shower with me. As I went to wash my face there was a hairball (black hair) all over the washcloth. I have pictures of this as well. I grabbed for another one and that was clean. I used the hand towels for my hair and when I went to open the one there was a BOOGER, yes it was clearly a booger on there. I have pictures of this as well. I still never complained just thought I would wait until the end of our stay. However, the icing that took the cake was when someone walked in our room. We had come back to cool down and take a break before heading out to dinner. As my two boys and little girl watched TV our room door opens... YES someone walked into our room. It was an older couple. I asked her where she was suppose to be and she said room 130. This is the room that we had been in since FRIDAY. I immediately went down the front desk. The lady apologized and then stated that the couple told her that they were in room 130 so she programmed their keys. She didn't ask for ID's apparently. At this time I also took down ANOTHER dirty washcloth down there with hair on it. The manager apologized and that was it. Nothing else was done. I just let it be.
A few other things that we encountered while there...
1 - Our blanket had a big hole in it.
2- The water park is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING like what is pictured on the website. There are no tiled walls and blue painted floors. Don't get me wrong it was a nice water park if they cleaned it more. Behind the slide (by the hot tub) there was algae growing on the floor. It was very dirty.
3- The beach is NOTHING like what is pictured on the website. I have pictures of the beach from outside our window and up close. It is very weedy and has black muck. There were people coming out of the water having to rinse their feet. We did not use the beach for this reason.
3- Our balcony which we paid extra for was filled with bugs and cobwebs. This was not new cobwebs - it looks like it was like this for a long time.
4- I personally asked where a vending machine was.. I was told down by the water park and that there was a snack station to get fountain pops if I wanted. I walked down there to find one vending machine with one row of Gatorade, the snack station looks like it has not been ran in weeks with no one there and I did find one vending machine with pop in it that was not where the snack station was.
4 - The breakfast buffet was not what they advertised. The girl working there was wonderful and was working her tail off. I felt so bad for her. When they advertise a 25 foot breakfast buffet I was expecting something like we had or even better from the other hotel that we had stayed in during previous years. This was nothing but two folding tables set up. Walking up there I couldn't believe how filthy the windows were.
We have gone to Mackinaw the past four years and have made a family vacation. This year we thought we would do something a little different. However, we have learned that we will never stay at this hotel nor will we recommend it to anyone. I couldn't believe that they didn't offer anything.. even 10% off or more than just a simple apology that was not sincere at all.
If I can upload the pictures I will.. I think that everyone should know that the cleanliness that could spread germs or the misleading advertising on their website.
I was truly disgusted and the customer service is awful.

Room Tip: Don't do it... that is all I can say. My husband has a lower immune system and I couldn't be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with our 2 children and were very pleased with the Bridge Vista. We stayed on the third floor and slept the best we ever have at a hotel. The hotel was nicely updated and we found the front desk staff to be very attentive and helpful. The rooms were clean and our only issue was that our room didnt' have a shower curtain. The front desk came up with one almost immediately. The waterpark was a nice feature and the kids had a blast. My only complaint about the waterpark is that the big slides are frequently shut down when the waterpark worker wants a break or has other issues to tend to in the waterpark. As others have mentioned, this worker has a shirt on that says "lifeguard" but he definitely is not a lifeguard. He is running the water slides and not paying attention to kids. You need to keep an eye on the younger kids at all times here. The beach is rocky and mucky, but from what I could see all the beaches at the neighboring hotels were like this and the Bridge Vista seemed to have the nicest beach looking down the beach towards the other hotels.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep without noise from above rooms, sleep on floor 3!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this hotel rated 3 diamonds, arriving there I found out it was only 2 diamonds by the local tourist bureau. We reserved a king size jacuzzi waterfront room. Turns out it was on the main floor. It had a patio, minus any chairs/side tables and no way to access the beach; you either had to exit hotel through lobby or jump over fence surrounding the patio. Shortly after, as we were unpacking, I opened the mini-fridge to find half-drunk bottles of water and beer (didn't really mind the beer, but really?). Thank goodness there weren't any perishable leftovers in the fridge. Who knows how long the drinks were in there.

The bath tub didn't drain very well. The 'beach' was some sand and very mucky sand and grass/marsh for the first 25 feet into Lake Huron. I refused to walk through it. My husband walked out about 100 ft and said it wasn't mucky out there. No thank you, I'll pass. The hallways and windows in the corridors needed a well deserved cleaning. Walking to the breakfast room, one such window was completely covered with spider webs and bugs. I couldn't find a clean spot on the window. Others were the same. Breakfast was okay. I suggest bringing your own coffee to brew, though. Closest coffee shop is downtown and the hotel coffee isn't very good.

I didn't use the water park. I asked about an outdoor pool that I saw advertised somewhere. They suggested I go to a hotel a few blocks down and use theirs. I guess they all share their water fun. Upon leaving I mentioned the tub, the chairs, and the fridge situation to the front desk. She asked why we didn't change rooms. It was the 4th of July, I assumed other rooms weren't available. She kept saying they would be switched out rooms if I said sooner that I was dissatisfied. But in the next breath she said it would've taken time to take care of us because it was a holiday. Exactly the reason why I didn't ask to switch rooms. She couldn't understand that. She simply wanted to get the last word on me and I wasn't going to let that happen.

Definitely not returning there. And a jacuzzi room on the first floor? Really? What do they expect people to do, close the curtains every time they use it? I don't think so.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bolingbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The room was good, and the free breakfast was not bad, but that was about it. This hotel used to be called the NorthPointe Inn and was a very nice hotel at that time. They were bought out by different owners, did some remodeling and made major changes, unfortunately most were for the worst. The people at the front desk are not very happy and it is evident. I would not call them rude, just not very friendly and unwilling to help. The free breakfast did not have pancakes, as advertised. They booked a "day camp" crowd onto our floor and one night they all packed into one room, it had to be around 40 kids with just a few adults to watch them. It was constant noise all night, doors slamming and I think this group never stayed in a hotel or knew how to be polite to other guests. When I called the front desk, they said they would talk to them, but did nothing. The worst part about this hotel, is that the waterpark is way too crowded. The reason it is like this, is they allow other hotels to use the facilities. Their guests are also allowed to use other hotel's waterparks, but why should you? If you have your own pool/waterpark and stayed at your own hotel, everything would be fine, but by allowing others, you cannot even enjoy a peaceful swim in the pool that you are paying for. The pool, even though advertised on the internet as having a lifeguard, does not have anyone on duty. There was plenty of horseplay and many people coming and going into this unlocked pool area without passes and nobody to check on them. Anybody could come and go as they please, if you were paying for it or not. This will be my last stay at this hotel, and next time I go to the area I will choose one that is not part of this group and suffer the same fate. If they kept the normal pool that they had and did not make it into a public waterpark, I would have given them 3-3-1/2 stars.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms better
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Muncie, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. The service was fine, never had trouble with staff. If you stay here, and don't have kids you may want to ask for a room on the south side, away from the waterpark. The beach area seemed lacking, very rocky, and small. Also if you wish to enjoy the breakfast, make sure to get there early, or will be waiting in an endless line of people trying to make waffles. Overall the room was clean, and bed was soft.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We got a great last minute deal from Expedia that we could not pass up. The water park was the highlight of the stay! My children (5 & 6) had a wonderful time in the lazy river, the big water slides and the kiddie pool area and my husband enjoyed the hot tub. Our room was clean and nice. However, the bed was not comfortable and they used a flat sheet on the bottom that came undone and made sleeping even more uncomfortable. The breakfast was ok (biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, bagels, cereal...). It was as expected for a hotel. My favorite part was relaxing on the beach in the morning, seeing Mackinac Island and the bridge. Overall, it was a good experience and we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Nowhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

While this place is not a 4-star in the absolute sense, it most certainly is as compared to what else you might get in Mackinaw City. The place is clean and the rooms were updated. The beds are comfortable and the place is quiet. The staff is very helpful and friendly. View and location are great. Attached to the hotel is a mini water park which is lots of fun for the kids. They have water slides, lazy river, pool, ropes, etc. Again, the staff is great here too. I didn't expect much up here and got much more.

Room Tip: The free breakfast is okay but I'd suggest you go into town instead...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bridge Vista Beach Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!