“Great preservation of an historic site” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The original village of Michilimackinac was constructed by local Indians, and the French, in 1715.
Indiana
“Great preservation of an historic site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

A great way to get a feel for what it was like in those times.

sterling heights, MI
20 attraction reviews
“Great experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

Historically accurate and certainly historically important for the region, the restored fort is always the highlight of my Mackinaw City visits. I have been visiting it since I was teenager back in the 60's and never tire of walking its grounds and imagining what it was like to live and trade there with the help of the always friendly and able costumed staff. Now I return with my children who have grown as fond of it as I have. The ongoing archeological digs are always amazing. Just think Major or Governor Robert Rogers and his rangers, Pontiac's rebellion, voyaguers, native americans, etc. in what was, at one time, the west.

pa
97 attraction reviews
“wonderful guides and activities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

The guides who work here do a great job of making history relatable (as reenactors ) without going over the top. There is an almost non-stop list of events on summer days that help give you a good idea of what life was like at the fort in half a day or less. We visited here in the morning and spent the afternoon on the isand. We could have spent more time here, but didn't feel as though we missed out. I recommend this to anyone visiting the area with kids (they try to recruit them to join their army and allow them to try on a redcoat) or any interest in history (they are doing daily archaeological digs on site). Don't miss the cannon and musket firing. We didn't visit the fort on the island so we can't compare the two.

Troy, MI
13 attraction reviews
“Kids learning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We thought this was pretty good. Happened to catch a week when there was a group set up with an authentic campsite who also did demonstrations like a rifle/musket reliability inspection.
Kids (ages 6 and 11) both enjoyed it.

Michigan
“Historical fun for the family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

My Mom and I visited Colonial Michilimackinac in July '08. She's a somewhat of a history buff so I thought I would tag along to keep her company; not really knowing much about the place. You start off by watching a short video on the history, to familiarize yourself before actually going to the fort. After the video, you walk along Lake Michigan to get to the re-built fort. We then visited each building, learning all kinds of interesting facts about the events that took place there. We watched the musket firing demonstrations and even attended a wedding that would have happened in 1700's. The view of the Mackinaw Bridge from the fort grounds is superb, photographers enjoy!!! All in all, we had fun, learned a great deal about Michilimackinac and I would recommend it for families!

PS. Not very handicap friendly!