“Decent Place with Less Than Decent Service” 3 of 5 stars

286 Grand Avenue, Mackinac Island, MI
800-334-7263
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A casual restaurant/bar just a short walk down Grand Hill. Serving lunch, dinner, and beverages inside and outside. Televisions and live music. Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan or Full American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their dinner bill. There is tipping at The Gate House. Check the Restaurant Events Calendar for live music schedule, food/drink specials and more.Hours of Operation: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.Luncheon: 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Dinner: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill.There is tipping at The Gate House.
Grand Traverse County, Michigan
“Decent Place with Less Than Decent Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went in with a few other couples and it really seemed the waiter we had did not want to be there. I guess it is the end of the season, but wow. Slowwwww to get drinks....slowwww to get food...slooowww to get the check. I had the blackened whitefish sandwich and it was very good. Highly recommend the food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We are very happy to hear that your Whitefish Sandwich was delicious. We are unhappy to hear that service was not up to our usual standards. We pride ourselves on great food with great service and to hear that a staff member didn't carry themselves that way is unacceptable. It is near the end of the season and we do close next week for the winter. All of our staff have been here since May. That said, this is no excuse for poor service. I apologize deeply for your servers lack of care and I hope that you will give us another chance so we can make it up to you. Thank You very much for taking the time to write a review.

Nebraska
“Great food Great service and great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We always stop by the Gate House when we are on the island this year we ate there on two seperate times one for lunch the other for dinner. We had the greatest waiter ever his name was Bryon from Jamacia he was fun and friendly. We liked him so much that we came back on our last nite to eat dinner we had the best time with him we asked for him by name he knew who we were and the drinks we wanted. He recommended the blacken prime rib to my husband and he loved it. I had the fish and chips they were to die for. The whole meal and drinks were great. We will always go there to eat next year we are going to eat there on our anniversary and hope Bryon is there hope he looks for us

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Traverse City, Michigan
“I'm thirsty!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

One of the many reasons bars should not allow their own employees to sit at the bar would be because the rest if the world, who doesn't work there, sits with an empty glass while the bartender feeds his friends free drinks. All class.

That said the Blackened Prime Rib will melt in your mouth.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank You for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the Prime Rib. For some clarity to other reviewers, we DO NOT let our staff sit, stand or hang out at our bar while in uniform. If that employee is not at work and off the clock they are allowed to just like any other guest. Bartenders and products are reviewed each week and your statement of "giving away free drinks" is inaccurate. Our staff is not only trustworthy but also efficient and that is why I am having a tough time imagining any of our staff neglecting you and your empty glass. If this scenario did happen, and was brought to my attention, I would happily terminate any bartender that violated our policies. I encourage other reviewers to keep reading for a more accurate review. Again, we would like to thank all of our TripAdvisor Reviewers for taking the time out to write.
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Great atmosphere not so great service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was our last stop on the island, we decided to grab lunch before we took the ferry back to the mainland and start our long 7 hour journey home. I've wanted to dine here the past two times we visited Makcinac and I have to say, I was disappointed.

The service was incredibly slow (even though the place was mostly empty) and our waitress was rather aloof and borderline rude. We had to track her down so we could pay our bill.

The food was barely average, we had the chicken BLT. My husband didn't feel so great on the ride home. And it took a very long time to make what seemed liked an easy dish.

Don't think we will return. There are so many choices while dining on the island, this wasn't one I'd like to repeat. Was really surprised, I would think being associated with Grand Hotel, they would have higher standards.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your visit with us. I apologize that your server wasn't upbeat and enthusiastic. It is toward the end of our season and we close for the winter in less than one week. That is not any excuse for poor service or mediocre food. When it becomes slow and there are not many guests in the restaurant we find projects for the staff to do behind the scenes to make our closing smoother. This may be why your server wasn't around the entire time. Again not any kind of excuse. Our Chicken BLT is one of the biggest sellers we have. A reminder that food borne illness takes a minimum of 12 hours before settling in so whatever illness your husband may have been feeling was more than likely from breakfast. Thank You for taking the time to write a review and we do hope you give us another chance on a different visit.
Wisconsin
“Best lunch we've had in a while!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stopped here for lunch after a bike ride around the island and left very impressed! Patio is awesome and so is the music. My husband and I had the corned beef brisket sandwich and one of the special sandwiches (I think called the Gatehouse) and both meals were amazing. Most tender meat we have had in a long time. Beer was good however Celebration drink was not worth the $15 it cost. Very very good meal. Highly recommend this place!!

Visited September 2013
FFD11, Manager at The Gate House, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for taking time to leave a review and we hope you return soon.