“Girls Weekend -- Would Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on Mackinac

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Inn on Mackinac
6896 Main Street, PO Box 1716, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Belle River, Ontario
“Girls Weekend -- Would Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

My three sisters and I took our mom to Mackinac Island for a weekend in August. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights at the Inn on Mackinac, and we all loved it. They gave us a great deal -- the total for five of us was just over $400 for the weekend.

Room - spacious room with large, bay windows, overlooking the street and part of the marina. Two queen beds, couple tables, large closet and bathroom. Plenty of outlets throughout the room (a necessity with 5 women!); shower was nice and warm; plenty of extra blankets and pillows, which we asked for; room was cleaned early every day. Decor is old Victorian, and was the perfect accompaniment when we watched our DVD of "Somewhere In Time" the first night we all arrived.

Breakfast - very good breakfast pizzas, both veggie and w/ meat; the cherry one was pretty tasty too; also provided hot oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, fresh apples & oranges, assortment of juices, toast, and most importantly, good coffee! Breakfast was served promptly every morning and there was plenty of it, despite having a lot of people there.

Cleanliness - pretty darn clean. Had someone come in around 10am each morning. We noticed that much of the cleaning staff speak English as a second language (if at all), so if we needed anything, we just contacted the front desk. No problems with replenishing fresh towels. Bedding was very clean as well. No complaints here.

Staff - very accommodating; took the time to help us with the essentials (finding the elevator, ice machine), and got us extra blankets when we asked for them; helped us book a carriage ride, and were always giving out samples of fudge, cheese & crackers, and other little goodies throughout the day (the fresh baked cookies were the best -- and they always made sure to leave 5 of them each night).

We really enjoyed our stay and would book this Inn again. Other things we enjoyed: the patio out front (good for people watching and enjoying the lake breeze); ability to store our luggage at the hotel well past our check-out time - basically, as long as we needed until we caught the ferry back to the mainland.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — There wasn't really anything we disliked!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Green Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We recently stayed at the Inn and had an enjoyable visit. The room was a decent size. There is a porch to sit on and watch people go by. We spent time there each day. The breakfast was excellent. We loved the breakfast pizza - especially the cherry one! I was a short walk into town. The spa was nice. There isn't a pool, just a very large spa with fountain. My only complaint was that the maid didn't do much. We had lots of towels when we checked in, but never given more - we ended up wiht just enough towels. Also, we were never given more shampoo or soap. The beds were made and cookies were left each night, that was it. But, none of these really inconvenienced us. The hotel was clean, and decorated very nicely. If I went back I might stay somewhere right in town.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — maid service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

My friend and I just returned last night from a two night stay at the Inn on Mackinac. We got a fantastic Family Adventure package, so the price was definitely right for our stay. The inn is pleasant and the location is fantastic...away from the hustle bustle of downtown, but just a quick walk to be in the middle of things. The breakfast was very good and I highly recommend the breakfast pizza. The staff was also very helpful and friendly. The complaints that we had were on the quality of the room. The room was a nice size and the bathroom was updated and had a nice walk-in shower. Unfortunately, there was mildew all around the corners of the shower walls. On the round toilet was an oval lid that hung over the edge of the toilet. To me, a hotel should have a toilet seat that fits. The beds were pretty comfortable, but the sheets on them were so worn out that there were parts of the sheet that was almost transparent. The bed was made up with a sheet, then a blanket, and topped with another sheet. When we looked at the blankets, we discovered why the blankets were hidden...they had holes in them.
I did speak to the front desk, and the next day we had much better sheets. However, the same blankets remained on both beds. None of the issues that we experienced had any real effect on the quality of our trip. They were just small things that I feel should be addressed by the hotel management in order to improve their appearance. Next time, I would probably choose another hotel on the Island. However, the Family Adventure package would be hard to beat.

• Liked — Location and spa-pool, great continental breakfast, great package for sightseeing
  • Disliked — room felt run down
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I called the hotel directly for booking, said they would email me a confirmation (twice), never did. I called for a verbal confirmation, which they said they couldn't do. Had to pay by check up front in full, so I had no recourse if it was wrong. Hotel clerks were ambivalent at best. Didn't want to be bothered with anything. Rooms offered no privacy for changing. Could not even turn around in the bathroom (contained a toilet & shower). Sink was in the room with the beds. Shower taps were hard to control, would go suddenly to hot. (With 2 children with me, it was quite dangerous). No place to put toiletries or suitcases. Rooms were not cleaned - didn't change towels or cups. I booked 2 rooms with 6 people, they never seemed to realize that 6 people were actually there. Breakfast was hours late. Supposed to be 8 am hot buffet, we had plans for 9:00 am, but by 8:45, were left with still just cold cereal & toast. The next day, they brought out a breakfast pizza with uncooked eggs (not undercooked, but un- cooked). Supposed to be provided with homemade cookies (a treat for the kids!) - one of our rooms received them, not the one with the kids! - asked for them the 2nd day - same thing happened...nothing. Very evident the staff and management didn't care about anything. Big disappointment for the money spent. A nightmare for 2 adults, or any family with older kids to be able to have privacy changing, brushing teeth, etc.

• Liked — Beds were nice. not normal hotel beds.
  • Disliked — Location - next to housing for college students working on Island - noisy all night. Awful rooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We thought this was a great value for the location, and the hotel is very charming. Our room was small, but clean and comfortable. There is air conditioning, but because they supplied a fan for the room, it wasn't needed. The staff was competent - perhaps not the warmest, but assisted with any questions. The breakfast could be a bit better, as neither of us enjoyed the breakfast pizza. The cookies, however, were a nice surprise.

The front porch is a nice spot to sit and read after a day of enjoying the island's sites, and the hotel was quiet. We would be willing to stay again!

• Liked — The beautiful architecture
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

My family and I just returned from our annual 3 night trip to Mackinac Island. This was our 5th year staying at Inn on Mackinac. In the past, this has been my favorite place to stay on the Island, but next year I plan to stay somewhere else because the service has gone downhill. For example: the 2nd day we were there, we didn't receive housekeeping until after 5:00pm, and when housekeeping did show up, it consisted of gathering dirty towels, replacing with clean, and making the beds - nothing else. No vacuuming, no cleaning of the bathroom, etc. The 3rd night, we didn't receive any housekeeping at all. I went down to the front desk around 5:00pm to see what was going on, and the young woman at the desk told me I had 2 choices: 1) if I wanted clean towels I had to bring the dirty ones down to the front desk myself to be exchanged, or 2) she could call a manager and try to get housekeeping to come. I said I would like housekeeping. We went to dinner and came back around 7:30pm. Room had still not been cleaned. There was a different young woman at the front desk, and when I told her that our room never received housekeeping that day, her response was "Oh, maybe your room wasn't on the list to be cleaned". For over $200 a night, I expect the room to be cleaned daily. Check-out was a zoo. The front desk staff seemed overwhelmed by the computer system and the fact that nearly everyone was leaving at the same time. This should not be a surprise since check out is at 11:00am and they will not extend it for you. Another major bummer here is that in order to reserve your room for the next summer, it has to be paid in full by Sept. 1st, or they will release your room. Most other places on the Island have a one or two night deposit. The front porch is the best part of this hotel, but next year I plan to try Island House or Lakeview Hotel instead (both also have porches and pools).

• Liked — Front porch, pool, bedtime cookies
  • Disliked — Lackluster service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Inn on Mackinac and would never do it again. The room was very small, the free breakfast was cold and lacking. The staff was from eastern europe and was hard to understand and the room was just a little dirty (not vacuumed)

All very little stuff but it adds up.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Inn on Mackinac? Share your experiences!