“Nice stay at Stonecliffe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Stonecliffe

You added The Inn at Stonecliffe to your Saves list
The Inn at Stonecliffe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8593 Cudahy Circle, PO Box 338, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Northern Michigan
“Nice stay at Stonecliffe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We've stayed at Stonecliffe before, but always in one of the condos, this was our first time staying in the Inn. The accommodations and service were nice as was the complimentary breakfast...a good variety and everything I had tasted good. Guests should keep in mind that the inn is more of a Bed and Breakfast type setting than a hotel. The Inn is very old and holds a lot of charm, but the walls are extremely thin and noise transfers easily. We stayed on the third floor in a very large room with nice woodwork, period anitques, a tile bathroom with claw foot tub and comfy beds. There's a lot of charm in the old Inn, but if you're looking for creature comforts and modern conveniences, stay in one of the condos.

Keep in mind when consiering this hotel that it's a 40 minute walk, or 15 minute carraige ride into town...not a big deal if you're staying for only a night or two, but should be a consideration in longer stays. We dined in Woods, which was not as good as previous experiences. It's still a fun place, with great decor (and the duck pin bowling's always a hit) but the food was not what I thought was up to par, and the service was lacking. I think the entire staff had a slight case of "end of the year blues". All in all, a good stay...I'll stay at Stonecliffe again, but most likely in the condos.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

This was a lovely, quiet and comfortable place to stay while on Mackinac Island. We stayed in the "summer house" building, and the room was spacious, clean, nicely appointed and offered lovely views. We spent time in the manor house playing games and reading in the very comfortable chairs by the fireplace. The grounds are extensive and conducive to relaxing. The staff is helpful, efficient and gracious.
There is only one restaurant located near the hotel so plan accordingly - if your room has a refrigerator then you may want to come with some fruit or other snacks since it is somewhere between 2 - 3 miles to get to town, and all transportation is via foot, horse or bike. In fact, I would strongly suggest either bringing or renting bicycles if you stay here as it makes getting back and forth much easier (and faster.) There is plenty of room to store bikes on the property.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

Mackinac Island is a great vacation - either for a couple or a family. My husband and I married on Mackinac Island 10 years ago and returned for our anniversary. We now live in Houston so it was a fairly long trip. We flew to Detroit, rented a car, drove up to Mackinaw City & took the ferry. Because we didn't get direct flights we took 2 days to travel to and from the Island.

I reviewed Trip Advisor comments and booked a room at the Inn at Stonecliffe. The tudor mansion has beautiful rooms in the manor house which are very large and comfortable (I asked to see them). The view overlooking the woods in front of the house is just as beautiful as the rooms overlooking Lake Michigan and Mackinac Bridge; I would have been delighted with either.

However the Manor rooms are not air conditioned so we opted to stay in the newly built summer house. The room was wonderful, tastefully decorated and quite large. There was a queen bed in one area, bath and kitchenette area (with small fridge, counter, cabinets with glasses & plates/bowls) in the middle, and then a sitting area on the other side with TV and pull out sofa. A family of 4 would have been very comfortable. We chose the Inland view - but I might have paid the additional $20/night if I had seen the wonderfully large patio with furniture that was attached to the rooms for the Harbor View rooms. I'd ask for the 3d floor!

Downside to the Inn was the mediocre food. Breakfast was included but it was the same fare as you would get at a $100/night hotel. Had lunch one day but was not impressed - 4 sandwich/chips choices and one salad choice. Didn't try dinner there - at $22.95 per person I would rather go to the Woods at the bottom of the drive (see below). But for me, the beautiful view of the Lakes and Mackinac Bridge and the vista over the large, sloping well manicured lawn, the spacious rooms, and elegant manor house made this a minor inconvenience.

We enjoyed staying "away from town" and usually walked to town - a lovely 20 minute walk through the woods - a horsedrawn shuttle ($6.50/person) runs back and forth from town to the Inn every hour if you prefer. You can rent a bike from the Inn rather than rent one in town. Bike rentals run $6 hour or $40 a day which I thought was a bit expensive, but similar to rentals downtown.

Restaurants -
Pink Pony: enjoyed the on the large awning covered patio overlooking the harbor for the ambience and comfort. Food was good but not too creative. Only place we went twice - once for lunch, once for just a half and half (iced tea and lemonade) and a dessert just to sit and relax.

Mary's Bistro: Food was better than average - smelled the roasting chickens on display in their roaster near the sidewalk as we walked by. My husband ordered the roasted chicken with smashed potatoes. I ordered the pesto pasta with chicken. Both were delicious and good price for the Island. About $40 for the two of us.

Woods: Delightrul restaurant owned by the Grand Hotel and at the end of the drive of the Inn at Stonecliffe. Wonderful ambience with dark red walls, lots of game displayed, rustic flavor decor. The food was excellent; I had a vegetarian entree and my husband ordered the white fish. Dinner with soft drink and dessert was $65, and we chose entree's that were less expensive than others, but a great treat for a night out.

Horns: Mexican restaurant downtown was fun and affordable. Caters to a younger crowd and families, with sports bar feel. Food was good - an easy place to go without getting dressed up.

Took a 4 hour bike ride (we're in our upper 40s and lower 50s) and it was very nice. Lots of couples older than we are were riding bikes also. We enjoyed staying in the woods where it was cool. The views over the Lakes are spectacular, the inner parts of the woods calming and refreshing. While the Island is steep in some parts, I just get off and walk the bike up the hill. Everyone else does too - nothing too strenous that you can't handle since you have all the time in the world and are just out for fun.

Rented a horse and buggy we drove ourselves from Jack's Stable. Nice ride around the edge of the island, but the horse was quite slow. $48/hour for 2; $60/hour for 4. I would do it again if I were bringing my mother and could tour her around the island since she would have limited ability to view the more remote areas of the Island. For me, I would just rent the bike again rather than the horse and buggy ride which was too slow for my taste.

Great thing about Mackinac is that there is a pretty equal mix of ages - from babies to grandparents. A great place for every age with things for each age to enjoy. While this was an anniversary for my husband and me, I hope to go back with my 20 something children - and if they have babies in strollers or small children by the time we go, everyone will still enjoy the Island.

Solon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

From the time we first saw the hotel till the time we left we were amazed with everything they had to offer. We stayed in a delux suite that had a great view of the Mackinac straits. The table on the balcony was awesome, as we played cards all night long. The beds were amazing as were the pillows. One of the best I have ever stayed in. The breakfast was outstanding and free! They had eggs with cheese, bagels, yogurts, freshly cut fruits. Potatoes and bacon. One of the best meals of the whole trip. The hotel is magical.!!! STAY HERE!! IT IS WORTH IT

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Walk down the path after the field in the rear of the hotel, and turn right at the first path then take that around and up the hill in the forest to the most unbelievable sunset spot in michigan...
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

My husband and I statyed at the Inn at Stonecliffe on our visit to Mackinac Island the last of June. We had seen a picture of it in the Mackinac Island magazine which was sent to us after emailing the tourism dept. After a long drive, the Inn was a welcome place for rest and relaxation. The Inn is absolutely beautiful! We enjoyed our room with a view overlooking Lake Huron and the Macinac Bridge. The food for dinner was spectacular as was the breakfast the next morning. The lawn was great for relaxing, reading a book or just taking in the view. If you are looking for a great place to stay on Mackinac Island then the Inn at Stonecliffe is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

I have not missed a year at Stonecliffe in over 20 years. This is the place to renew your, romace and enjoy a one of a kind retreat that you can not find anywhere but at Stonecliffe. Do yourself a favor and go for a few days, relax, enjoy a time gone bye. I'll see you there!! Oh by the way the staff and ownership is outstanding you'll feel like YOU own the place.
Kudos to the whole operation!!! I even give gift packages to all my adult family members, and my friends love it also! I'm Moose Zonjic of the Moose and da Sharks oldies show and if you know us, or ever see us just ask about Stonecliffe we love it.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to The Inn at Stonecliffe? Share your experiences!