“Stayed one night on the 4th of July” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Stonecliffe

You added The Inn at Stonecliffe to your Saves list
The Inn at Stonecliffe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8593 Cudahy Circle, PO Box 338, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Brooksville, Florida
“Stayed one night on the 4th of July”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked a one night stay on the 4th of July through Hotwire.com. It was a gamble - you don't know which hotel until booked. And there's no refund. Thankfully it worked out great. Beautiful location and hotel - think Gatsby. Our room was located in the Mansion. I was concerned before we arrived, because I was told it was on the third floor with no A/C or elevator. The week of the 4th happened to be great weather. I heard that it did get much hotter the following week of July. As it were - we were very comfortable. The shower and the breakfast were the best I have ever had at a hotel. The view of the bridge from our room was awesome! I had an appetizer and a glass of wine on the back porch upon arrival - both Great! We rented bicycles from the hotel and rode into town for dinner, shopping (fudge) and to watch the fireworks. I would definitely stay at the Inn at Stonecliffe again. I should have booked two nights - I was sad to leave after such a short stay. Other reviews have complained that the trolley to arrive and depart the hotel was too full to catch a ride. It is; and we did walk the 2.5 miles to get to the hotel. It's a beautiful walk, but challenging if you are not in shape as it is mostly uphill. Also, we did reserve a spot on the trolley to depart. This does not mean that you will actually get a seat. My 17 year old daughter had to sit on my lap. It was pretty awful, since we still had to pay for her fee. I would prefer to walk back to the ferry next time, since it would be downhill. So- bottom line: Stay in the Mansion if the weather is not too hot. Take the trolley to the hotel when arriving, but walk when departing if you are up to it. Stay for more than one night. Oh yeah - as far as the fireworks....they would be much better if seen from Mackinaw City. They were so small from the island and boy does Mac City do them right. It was like a grand finale for an hour! Next year I may stay in Mackinaw City on the fourth and then head to the island for two nights.

Room Tip: Mansion/third floor was very quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This could of been a beautiful vacation for us. The hotel itself was gorgeous. Very clean and beautiful setting. However, it turned into a very stressful vacation the first day. This was our first visit. This is our story.

We were dissatisfied with the boat, buggy, breakfast package. It would have been less if we had purchased those individually. But, we didn't know this until we arrived.

At check in, we waited in our room for over an hour for our luggage. We called down and they said they would send it right up, it was another half hour and we finally went down to get our own luggage. One of our luggage pieces was missing and the staff had no idea where it was. The manager on duty said he would get to the bottom of it. Another hour went by and we went down to front desk to ask the progress. He was rude and said hes working on it. Finally after a few hours of this we called the ferry dock and were told they had the bag and would send it back. The manager told us he had called there several times and was told they didn't have it. We didn't believe his story.

All in all we lost most of our first day and our first visit to Mackinaw Island. Spending it in our room. This was time we could've spent seeing the island. The manager did comp us one nights stay, however it didn't make up for the time we lost. We traveled 16 hours.

Also, there was a wedding going on during our stay. It looked like a beautiful setting for a wedding. However, at about 12 midnight it became very loud. People talking loudly in the halls and kids running up and down the hall.

Bottom line, if you have no issues this is a very nice place to stay. The staff is not very helpful, but like I said if you have no problems and everything goes smoothly, you'll be fine.

Room Tip: This hotel has the main house and the summer house. The main house does not have air conditioning, w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We just returned from a night at the Inn at Stonecliff. We had a very positive experience at the hotel. About a week before our stay, they emailed a confirmation that included a very detailed .pdf file with great, helpful information about the hotel and island. This hotel is about 2 miles away from the main street, but our family loved being away from all the hustle and bustle downtown. I had a very intense cold and truly welcomed the quiet of the inn. The check in staff was very accommodating. The room was beautiful (We stayed in the Summerhouse on the 3rd floor).The bed was very comfortable! We ate at the restaurant and the food was delicious!!! I recommend the 5 course meal as it not only seemed the most cost effective way to go, but it was a good amount of food. The pool was very clean and warm...a perfect place to spend the late afternoon with kids. We are already talking about ways to save money so we can return to the Inn at Stonecliffe and stay additional days.

Our only complaints, are that we did try to call them the day before and the day of our reservation to inquire about making reservations at the restaurant,, and after leaving two messages, I never did get a response back...when we finally arrived after a very long ordeal of trying to get to the hotel, we were told they did not know of our messages and that the earliest reservation would be at 8:30. However, they were very kind to call up to our room about 20 minutes after we checked in to let us know an earlier time had opened up.
Our other main challenge was that we had reserved the horse/buggy/ferry deal (which was a great value!!!). However, when we saw the 5pm shuttle in front of Starline, he told us he was full and the next one would not arrive till 6pm. He did tell us to walk down the street (about 4 blocks) and wait at that ferry stop because when the shuttle did come around, it would stop there first and we'd have more of a chance of having space. This would not have been a big deal, except that I was extremely sick and that extra walk and wait during the busy time downtown was not very welcomed.
The shuttle service is ran through the islands taxi service I believe. I do have to say they (meaning all the shuttle/taxi drivers on the island) lack customer service!!! Not only was there the mix up at the docks, but the friendliness of almost all of the drivers we saw needed some improvement. We thought it might just be an isolated experience but after talking to a few people, we realized that the service is lacking. Even a friendly smile from the drivers would make the first impression of the island so much better. I know it might not be the most glamorous job for them, but they are for many visitors, the first point of contact on the island . (On a side note - Our one shuttle driver (on the way to the hotel) did engage in more conversation as we got closer to the hotel, and shared information about the horses with us which did excite the kids).

Those issues aside, the hotel WAS FABULOUS as was the hotel staff . If you are looking for a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds that is away from the busy activity downtown -we highly recommend the Inn at Stonecliffe!

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet during our stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife here for our anniversary in July after reading all the reviews and am glad I did. I called them several times to book and confirm and they were patient with me all the way thru. We got there and I had booked a woods view room because they had all the other rooms booked. I get there and get my keys and they upgraded my room for free and without me even knowing it to the beat room in the mansion (woodcastle). I would come back here in a heartbeat - views look just like Ireland

• Stayed July 2013
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Words can't describe the good times we had at this location, with the staff being so completely helpful and the grounds being so meticulously kept, it simply just made for a great Summer vacation! Can't wait to return next year!!

Room Tip: I must say I am in awe at the helpfulness of the staff and the beauty of this estate. I have been to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I visited Michigan and my friend who lives there, recommended we visit Mackinac Island. I didn’t know much about it, but it was spectacular. We stayed at the Stonecliffe, and not knowing anything about the area, didn’t realize how far the Inn was. We rented bikes and rode the 2 miles to the hotel (part was a steep road by the Grand Hotel). It was a nice ride and very relaxing and nice to get away from all the tourists. This place is a classic! We were lucky and were able to get a room in the mansion with the perfect view of the Mackinac bridge. It was pretty secluded and quiet. I also recommend a visit to the restaurant next door called the Woods. It’s pricey, but stop and get a drink and bowl in the 1905 bowling lane. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, the best part.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my first trip to Mackinac and I couldn't have asked for a spectacular place to stay.
From the view from the patio to the grounds of the hotel I was constantly amazed at the beauty.
Stonecliffe is a peaceful and relaxing getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life. I highly recommend to stay here if you get the chance.
SusanR of plymouth

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Inn at Stonecliffe? Share your experiences!