“Stunning Setting for Your Island Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Inn at Stonecliffe to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Inn at Stonecliffe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8593 Cudahy Circle, PO Box 338, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Special Offer
Advance Purchase Savings
Ranked #7 of 13 hotels in Mackinac Island
Clearwater, Florida
“Stunning Setting for Your Island Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our family has an annual get together on Mackinac Island and homebase is always the Stonecliffe Inn. The inn is located away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, atop the west bluff of the island with sweeping views of the straights. After a scenic ferry ride, a horse drawn carriage transports you (and your luggage) across the island to this timeless inn. Honestly, every time we arrive the setting takes my breath away. The view is spectacular and a perfect place for photos, the rooms are pleasant and varied whether you stay in the inn or the summer house and there is a full service restaurant and bar that serves a great breakfast each morning. The Inn at Stonecliffe is a wonderful place to stay while visiting the island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I don't usually comment or write recommendations for Hotels or Inns, but this is an exception! We had already pre-paid for another hotel, the big one, on Mackinac Island for October 12 and 13, 2012. much to our dismay the big hotel put us in rooms that were terrible, smelled and had no views. We called because we are familiar with Stonecliffe and have stayed there before. The Stonecliffe staff answered the phone and was very pleasant, found us fantastic rooms and had us come right over. We booked 3 rooms for 2 nights and had a wonderful time! Rooms were great, views of the lake were fantastic and the food was awesome! I believe that if you are looking for a wonderful 5Star***** time on Mackinac Island, the Stonecliffe is where it's at!

Room Tip: Excellent hotel and inn, recommend highly!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Stonecliffe. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It was quiet, the accommodations were nice, the staff was helpful and the food was great. The rooms are quite large as well as the bathroom, plenty of closet space too if needed. The grounds are beautiful, our room had a beautiful view as well as the dinning room. It's a short and very pleasant walk to the downtown area. Bikes are available if that is your preferred method of transportation.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Snowberry which had a beautiful view of the bridge
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was a very nice place that we stayed for 3 nights. The morning breakfast was perfect with different offerings as well as staples daily. All the staff was helpful, friendly & kind. One evening we sat out on the back lawn with a glass of wine & listened to a singer/guitar player who was very good. Planned on having a picnic on the beautiful, huge front lawn, but it rained that day :(. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband stayed at the Inn at Stonecliffe the last week in August and had a great time. I chose this hotel b/c my husband insisted on staying somewhere that had a pool. We stayed in the "summer house" which is off to the side of the mansion and is more modern and air conditioned. Our room was spacious and had a nice view of the back of the propery, the lake and the Mackinac Bridge. It is a little ways from town which we thought was not going to be a big deal as we brought our bikes and expected to be biking a lot. What I didnt expect was the steep hill in front of the Grand Hotel that we had to walk our bikes up to get to where we were staying. Going down the hill was big fun, going up not so much. So I guess we got our exercise!! My only regret is that I didnt browse around the property more. The back yard had chairs facing the lake and a wooded area as well as a beautiful porch to relax on. The breakfast buffet in the morning was small but sufficient usually eggs, sausage, waffles, and danishes, which were all very good. Maybe some cut up melon and berries would have been nice instead of grapes and bananas in a bowl?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

First off this property is not anywhere near the downtown area - be prepared to pay (and wait) for cab rides if you are not into bike riding. Walking is possible but you better be an avid walker!

As you leave all the hustle and bustle of what is Mackinac Island in the summer and head out past the Grand Hotel into the serene woods of the island and all you begin to hear is the sound of your bicycle or the horses trotting along you know you must be on the right path.

The mansion appears out of the woods like something out of a fairy tale - the lawn and shrubs trimmed precisely, flowers vividly blowing in the gentle breeze coming from across the lake. The circular drive brings you around the front lawn to the front entrance of the mansion.

Inside the mansion has been immaculately kept with tons of beautiful wood work you are transported back in time. Through the back windows is an amazing view of the straits and the Mackinac Bridge - with one of the best views of the sunset on the island.

Check- in was smooth; room was clean and ready no issues excellent.

The mansion has several different types of rooms the mansion itself has NO AC but the great thing is this is disclosed well in advance of booking NOT on arrival. If you would like AC as I did after several days of being on the island at another property and not having the option to have it ( it is actually quite wonderful to not have the AC humming all the time) we choose to stay in the Summer House which is quite new.

The Summer House is stunning accommodations with everything being very recent and having all the little luxuries that make a trip just a little nicer including: NFC door looks ( tap your card and wahla), fridge in the suite, with mini bar, private deck with sliding french style doors, true queen beds, etc. Accommodations here exceed the quality you see in many newer hotels that are open year round.

Pool hours are short with close time at 8? Kind of a bummer when you get back late after a bike ride and just feel like relaxing.

The thing about this place that drove me mental was the staff and the use of the words no, can't, and not sure. When I am spending $250 a night to stay at a property I don't expect to be hounded with rules unless I am causing another guest to enjoy there visit. I am not a child and do not need to have you explain rules to me.

Dinner first night - no one bothered to inform us that even as guests at the property (in the back woods) that we would need reservations and were told they were full sorry. We ended up eating in the bar which is fine but as I stated I am not used to being at a property of this class and being told sorry we cant.

Second night - apparently they have artist night with a bunch of folks from the island that come out the property and the staffs obvious priority was serving them, regardless of the fact that I was a paying guest at their property. While sitting at the bar I where we were told to order food to go for my son back in the room we were told "we arent really taking to go orders because we are so busy". Having worked in the hospitality industry and staying at as many properties as I have I nearly fell off my seat. Admittedly I muttered some expletives between sips of my drinks and the food got ordered.

Now as far as the food quality - your not going to find better on the island absolutely amazing. Expensive yes but VERY well worth every single dollar. Even the breakfast buffet in the mornings was first class - not a ton of options but few very well done.

Would I stay here again? Yes - despite the obvious need for management to train SOME of their staff on how to properly speak to and handle guests I would. The mansion offers a stunning yet tranquil place to relax that is very hard to find anywhere else in the country let alone the island.

Room Tip: For AC book a room in the summer house. For best lake views book in the mansion.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
marquette
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the mansion for 2 nights at the end of July. We picked week days so we wouldn't have to deal with a "wedding" but quess what? There was one which leaves you not able to access the big covered porticole porch in the evening which I always enjoyed in the summer time. On the second night there was live music and we thought thr would be great too but quess what? The place was overrun with "local" and once again we had no place to sit and really felt like we were crashing someone's garden party as tolerated outsiders. There isn't much to do out there in the evenings so if ypu don't have access to the place there isn't much to do but sit in your room. Half the staff were fantastic the other half were just the opposite. It would have been vey helpful if the front desk would have shared more information as well. We had to figure everything out ourselves. I have enjoyed it here in the past but they have dropped the ball.

• Stayed July 2012
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Inn at Stonecliffe? Share your experiences!