“Dinning experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Mackinac Island
Louisville, Kentucky
“Dinning experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have not yet stayed in this hotel, but I did have the opportunity this year to enjoy the restaurant inside Amigo Burrito. The portion was huge, and really very good. I love Mexican food, and this was the real deal. Think I spent no more than $7, and probably had the best meal I'd had in days. The hotel is very pretty and offers a laid back atmosphere for dinning. One thing I did to entertain myself, other than devouring my burrito was reading the stenciled quotes on the walls. Murray Hotel also has the best fudge on the island as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Murray Hotel was right smack in the middle of town where everything was going on day and night. The employees were outstanding and are well trained in taking care of their guest on the spot. We did love the freshly baked cookies and the smell of fudge. What a place to stay especially on Mackinac Island in the summer. I would recommend this hotel because of location, service, and prices which were acceptable comparing other rates on the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
travelcat26
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed on the island multiple times, but this was my first stay at the Murray. We made this reservation at the last minute. Therefore, the choice of hotels was limited. That being said, we were happy with our stay. The staff was very friendly, and chocolate chip cookies are delivered to the rooms every night. The room was dated and small, but nice and appeared fairly clean aside from the carpets . Also the bed was quite comfortable. When I say “small” I mean that there is barely room to walk around the bed, and the bathroom was the exact width of our shower stall. The sink was actually in the bedroom. So, if you like lounging around your room, be sure to upgrade to something with more space. My biggest issue with this hotel was the noise. BRING EARPLUGS! The walls are paper thin and there is a gap running around the door so light pours in from the hallway. You will hear everything. The first night there were some noisy people down the hall and I barely slept. I cannot comment on breakfast other than to say there is an additional charge, which is why we went elsewhere. We did not use the hot tub, but it looked very nice. All in all this would not be my first choice on the island. However, I would be willing to stay here again. It is a nice budget friendly hotel on Mackinac Island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We gave stayed on the island several times but this was our first at the Murray Hotel and it won't be our last. We loved the charm of the 100 plus building. Our room was very clean as was the whole hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Truly feels like home away from home. Each night they come around with freshly made cookies to your door. In the lobby coffee/tea/hot chocolate served all day with donuts. Their fudge is the best and lots of different kinds. I loved the snickers and coconut the best. Looking forward to our next visit. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed in various hotels and B&Bs on Mackinac over the years. If you've been to the island before, you know that most places downtown have small-ish rooms and small bathrooms when you get a basic room. You give up size for being in such a prime location. The basic Queen-sized room at the Murray is no exception. I am most picky about cleanliness and I was happy at the Murray and would stay again. We didn't try the breakfast buffet so I can't comment on that.

Pros:
Everything was clean
Bed and pillows very comfortable and clean
Everything worked - lights, TV, plumbing, ice machine, pop
Outdoor hot tub is great and clean
TV cabinet/dresser had a large space for stashing our smaller bags
You are right downtown - awesome location
Front desk staff very nice
Yummy cookies at front desk and brought to your room each night
Free coffee downstairs at all times
Quaint hotel, over 100 years old with great historic pics on the walls

Cons:
The room is small
The bathroom is small
Our shower curtain wasn't long enough and the floor likely isn't too level (normal with the older buildings) so some water from the shower ran out onto the floor
The room consists of the bed, TV cabinet / dresser, sink, one chair and a window. No desk.

Room Tip: If the cost isn't much more, upsize to a larger room. If you just want value, get the basic Quee...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a delightful stay at the Murray Hotel on Mackinaw Island. The staff were accommodating to some last minute changes. I was in a double queen room and woke to the soothing sound of the horses clomping down the cobblestone streets. My view was of Market street with Lake Michigan to the left and the postoffice to my right. I loved the chocolate chip cookies left every night. The staff were wonderful. I especially enjoyed reading the sayings painted on the crown molding of the reception area. The staff even gave a hard copy of the sayings so I can enjoy them every day. I look forward to returning for another stay,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Murray Hotel was exactly what I expected. Very clean. Excellent staff and a bit of a surprise as many on the Island are from Jamiaca. The room was a bit small but we did not spend much time there as there is lots to do and see in a few days.
Breakfast was not that good so plan to eat out elswhere. They had a great Mexican Taco menu for lunch during our stay. Many bars/restaurants on the main street so lots to choose from with varrying prices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Murray Hotel? Share your experiences!