“Cute, inexpensive, but lots of noise” 4 of 5 stars

Murray Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, P.O. Box 476, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
travelcat26
“Cute, inexpensive, but lots of noise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed on the island multiple times, but this was my first stay at the Murray. We made this reservation at the last minute. Therefore, the choice of hotels was limited. That being said, we were happy with our stay. The staff was very friendly, and chocolate chip cookies are delivered to the rooms every night. The room was dated and small, but nice and appeared fairly clean aside from the carpets . Also the bed was quite comfortable. When I say “small” I mean that there is barely room to walk around the bed, and the bathroom was the exact width of our shower stall. The sink was actually in the bedroom. So, if you like lounging around your room, be sure to upgrade to something with more space. My biggest issue with this hotel was the noise. BRING EARPLUGS! The walls are paper thin and there is a gap running around the door so light pours in from the hallway. You will hear everything. The first night there were some noisy people down the hall and I barely slept. I cannot comment on breakfast other than to say there is an additional charge, which is why we went elsewhere. We did not use the hot tub, but it looked very nice. All in all this would not be my first choice on the island. However, I would be willing to stay here again. It is a nice budget friendly hotel on Mackinac Island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We gave stayed on the island several times but this was our first at the Murray Hotel and it won't be our last. We loved the charm of the 100 plus building. Our room was very clean as was the whole hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Truly feels like home away from home. Each night they come around with freshly made cookies to your door. In the lobby coffee/tea/hot chocolate served all day with donuts. Their fudge is the best and lots of different kinds. I loved the snickers and coconut the best. Looking forward to our next visit. Keep up the good work!!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed in various hotels and B&Bs on Mackinac over the years. If you've been to the island before, you know that most places downtown have small-ish rooms and small bathrooms when you get a basic room. You give up size for being in such a prime location. The basic Queen-sized room at the Murray is no exception. I am most picky about cleanliness and I was happy at the Murray and would stay again. We didn't try the breakfast buffet so I can't comment on that.

Pros:
Everything was clean
Bed and pillows very comfortable and clean
Everything worked - lights, TV, plumbing, ice machine, pop
Outdoor hot tub is great and clean
TV cabinet/dresser had a large space for stashing our smaller bags
You are right downtown - awesome location
Front desk staff very nice
Yummy cookies at front desk and brought to your room each night
Free coffee downstairs at all times
Quaint hotel, over 100 years old with great historic pics on the walls

Cons:
The room is small
The bathroom is small
Our shower curtain wasn't long enough and the floor likely isn't too level (normal with the older buildings) so some water from the shower ran out onto the floor
The room consists of the bed, TV cabinet / dresser, sink, one chair and a window. No desk.

Room Tip: If the cost isn't much more, upsize to a larger room. If you just want value, get the basic Quee...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a delightful stay at the Murray Hotel on Mackinaw Island. The staff were accommodating to some last minute changes. I was in a double queen room and woke to the soothing sound of the horses clomping down the cobblestone streets. My view was of Market street with Lake Michigan to the left and the postoffice to my right. I loved the chocolate chip cookies left every night. The staff were wonderful. I especially enjoyed reading the sayings painted on the crown molding of the reception area. The staff even gave a hard copy of the sayings so I can enjoy them every day. I look forward to returning for another stay,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Murray Hotel was exactly what I expected. Very clean. Excellent staff and a bit of a surprise as many on the Island are from Jamiaca. The room was a bit small but we did not spend much time there as there is lots to do and see in a few days.
Breakfast was not that good so plan to eat out elswhere. They had a great Mexican Taco menu for lunch during our stay. Many bars/restaurants on the main street so lots to choose from with varrying prices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I would stay at the Murray again. Why?? Great location, great location, great location! Staff were nice, rooms were fine (they have AC). Sink in room really pretty small but we didn't care much about that. The hotel was very clean. The Murray has a pretty decent breakfast deal which is very inexpensive. Their fudge is very very creamy and delicious. Also, their hotel rate was one of the lowest prices we could find. I'll definitely be back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have stayed here once before in 2005 and decided to stay again. This time however we decided to stay one night at the Grand Hotel and then two nights at the Murray.

We spent a little extra for a queen deluxe room with a view. When we stayed here the last time, I remembered that the room was really small, so we wanted to upgrade just a little bit for our anniversary. Our room faced the street which is what we wanted. I noticed there are some reviews that mentioned the noise of the street at night. I'm not sure if it is because we stayed at the end of the season or if it was because we stayed mid week, but the noise wasn't too bad. However, if the same size room is available in the back, that's what I would choose the next time we stay. I don't feel the view was worth the extra cost. The room was small, but definitely larger than our last room...especially the bathroom.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our luggage was sent over from the Grand and when we arrived it was brought up for us. In the evenings chocolate chip cookies were brought to our room which I thought was a nice touch. In the lobby there is free coffee and cocoa all day and in the evenings there are free donuts at the front desk. WiFi is only available in the lobby which is a pain, but at least it is available. The breakfast was kind of a let down. If it was included in the room it would have been ok, but since we had to pay for it, it was not a great value. Especially for just the two of us. It is pretty standard for most hotels to offer complementary breakfasts like this now, so it really should be included in the price especially with the deluxe rooms. My tip would be to take a couple of donuts back to your room in the evenings and have them in the morning. Then, have a nice lunch somewhere.

Our room was small but clean. The bathroom floor was a strange rubbery material that was really slippery when wet. No coffee pot or phone in the room. Coffee wasn't a big deal since it is free in the lobby, but the no phone was strange. There are phones located in the hallway periodically. Our fan did not work in the bathroom which was a pain and once the fire alarm went off from the steam!! The TV was super small. We didn't watch it very much, but it looked so silly in the armoire, it would almost have been better to not even have one at all and just have a dresser there instead.

The best part of the hotel was the pool. I don't remember this from the last time we stayed and I'm guessing that it's a new addition. It's a small pool, more of a really large hot tub. It was fantastic. It is located on the second floor in the courtyard. We stayed here at the end of September and the weather was rainy and chilly the entire time. But, we still used the pool!!! It was great. It felt amazing with the hot water and the breeze. I'm not sure if any of the other guests tried it but they really missed out if they didn't.

Overall a nice hotel with a great pool :) The staff was friendly and helpful. The decor is old and simple, but the price is really reasonable. We'll definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a little larger room. The standard rooms are really small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Murray Hotel? Share your experiences!