“It's Okay....not that great.” 3 of 5 stars

Lake View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Huron Street, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Petoskey, Michigan
“It's Okay....not that great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at the Lake View for one night mainly because the location is wonderful - right across from the Star Ferry dock and overlooking the harbor. We were interested in the fact that they have air conditioning, which many hotels on the Island don't have and an indoor pool. So, we thought we'd give it a try. When we arrived the computers were "down" and they couldn't check us in, so they stored our bags and we went to lunch at Goodfellows. The waiter seemed annoyed that my husband only ordered a salad - "It's really small, are you sure that's all you want?" My husband replied that for the $11.99 price he assumed it would be adequate, and it was. I had a personal pizza, which was fine. We paid extra for a lake view room and were disappointed to be in a 4th floor tiny garrett with a small window, no closet and a lumpy mattress. The air conditioner was a wall unit and extremely loud. The carpeting was stained and the linens thread bare. We thought we were saving money by staying at the Lake View instead of the Iroquois, where we normally stay, but learned a valuable lesson. For a little extra money we'll gladly go back to the Iroquois next time. Live and learn, I guess!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
troy, ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Beware of staying in this hotel. I question the management when they were power washing the pool at 2 O'clock in the morning. No sleep for us that night. I complained and got noithing but I am sorry. Some one had dropped a beer bottle from the 4th floor and landed in the pool area so they had to drain the pool and hot tub and clean the surrounding area. That is fine I understand that, but not at nght, it could have waited till the morning. This is an indoor pool that is surrounded by four floors of rooms facing the pool area, it is quite noisy anyway and then to hear a power washer and people talking all night was not acceptabl, it was very loud and I am sure no one could sleep.. How important was it to have the pool area cleaned so they could use it bright and early in the morning or to let the guests get a good nights sleep? We were leaving that day and had a long drive with no sleep and got only an I am sorry. Just to let you know the rooms around the pool area are VERY NOISY, so I recommend if you must stay at this hotel ask for a room not in the pool area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

First I must say that I am glad that I keep an open mind because if I would have listened to alot of the reviews on here, I wouldn't have stayed at the Lake View. I guess everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that this place is the best place to stay if you plan on visiting the island.
I was greeted at the boat by a gentlemen by the name of Brian. He took my luggage to the hotel and assured me that it would be safe until I was able to check in. (I arrived at 12 and check in is at 3) We rented bikes and rode around the island. When we returned to the hotel, we had the pleasure to deal with 2 girls at the desk that were very friendly and personable. We arrived around 2 and found that our room was ready which was great because we both needed showers after our bike ride.
I have to agree that the Goodfellows bar area isn't the greatest. The dining room had good food though. After chatting with the gentlemen that works at the front desk, I learned that the restaurant was not operated by the same management as the hotel so I couldn't hold the hotel responsible for my discomfort in the bar. (That I will not go in to on here)
Overall, I must say that the Lake View is very inviting. The room was clean and spacious. The pool was at perfect temperature and the lobby is very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We recently stayed at the Lakeview Inn. I recommend using Star Ferry as you are less than a block from the hotel. Lakeview had a staff person to meet us at the dock and helped us with our luggage to our room.

We went with the lowest price room and were pleasantly surprised. Granted we did not spend very much time in our room. Our room exited to a balcony that overlooked the pool. We did use the hot tub twice. The pool area was very clean. My only complaint is that if anyone awakes early and we like to sleep in until 9:00 or 10:00 a.m., you can hear what the person in the balcony area is saying.

We had an appetizer in the sports bar (don't waste your time) and ate at Goodfellows for dinner (was great). The continental breakfast was good.

My advice to anyone considering staying on the Island, is that the property dates back many years. It probably was plush in it's day but not necessarily in today's world.
If that is a concern to you, stay off the island. I liked not having to worry about what time the last ferry went back. One night we went to a tavern to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs and stayed to listen to a band. It was a very fun evening.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

My partner & I stayed here 3 nights in early May for the "early bird special rate" of $140/night. Granted, it was early in the season, so one might expect that some details might still need ironing out by the staff, however...
First evening, we went to the restaurant about 9pm (before the advertised closing time) and was told they weren't serving in the restaurant but that we could eat in the adjacent lounge. This sounded reasonable, but it turned out to be a sports bar - noisy, smoky, & crowded - so we had to go elsewhere for a meal.
First morning we went for the breakfast which was included in our package. The hotel advertising had claimed that an omelette could be added to the continental fare for an additional $5. In the breakfast area we found a hot bar with scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon & sausages, so we helped ourselves to this. Next morning, my partner, who had already put some food on a plate, asked one of the wait staff if he could order an omelette, and was loudly chastised for having taken food from the hot bar because "that is for the group." Mind you there were no signs, nor had anyone given us any direction as to what was on or off limits. The situation was handled very rudely. We went to the front desk and were told unapologetically we should have ordered from the "omelette station." The desk clerk insisted, without checking, that such a station existed, and only after asking for the manager, and walking the manager over to the breakfast room did they acknowledge that no omelette station had been set up. The manager was unaware of this, and also unaware that the restaurant crew had decided to close early the night before.
After our first day of sightseeing we returned to our cleaned room to find that the door had been left ajar. There were no cleaning carts or staff around, so we had no idea how long our room had been left open. Fortunately nothing was missing.
The second and third nights, the hotel played host to large groups of school children, ages about 10 to 15. We hadn't imagined that in choosing this caliber of hotel we might be joining a field trip for middle schoolers, but we're both scout leaders, so we're not automatically put off by groups of youngsters. The hotel had a "quiet time" policy that the groups did observe. Unfortunately the quiet time is only from 10pm until 7am, which meant that from 7am there was running and shouting echoing around the Atrium (the room has double sliding doors that open onto this space) making it impossible to continue sleeping.
On the plus side, the room itself was spacious and comfortable and clean. Wireless internet worked perfectly. The location was very convenient, and the bellman was courteous and helpful. Sadly, his attitude was the exception rather than the rule at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

I recently stayed for two nights at the Lake View and my family was very impressed!! Definately check out this classic when you plan your trip to the island!! The swimming pool was very nice!! Flat screens in the rooms. Yes, the ladies at the desk could have had better people skills but i am thick skinned and what do you expect from college aged kids. A definate must stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

We stayed at the Lakeview Hotel for 6 days/5 nights. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with a vacation and renewal of vows. The staff at the Lakeview were the absolute best and most thoughtful and courteous of any of our stays those two weeks. The events co-ordinator at the hotel planned our itinerary and also arranged our ceremony on the balcony right there at the hotel. Everything was perfect! My wife and I would highly recommend the Lakeview Hotel to anyone wishing to have a really good time at a reasonable rate. The rooms were clean and well furnished. Service was superb! We are already planning our trip back to Mackinac Island in 2009, and we will be staying at the Lakeview Hotel again!

• Liked — Service by Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lake View Hotel? Share your experiences!