“Great Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Ridgeway, WI
“Great Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We love the Island House Hotel! This was our 4th or 5th time staying there, but it was our first time in about 7 years. It is such a beautiful hotel. The wrap around veranda is wonderful for relaxing at the end of the day. We have a 6 month old and 21 month old, and it was a perfect place to stay for all of us. The rooms are a little small, but I've stayed many places on the Island, and this is normal for the rooms on the Island. The room was beautiful, though! We had the breakfast buffet, which was great! (Especially the cinnamon french toast!). The front desk staff were good, but Kristen at their bike rental was awesome!! Look for her when you are there. Overall amazing time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor tend to be pretty small.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Spring Arbor, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The hotel had very nice staff and has a good location. Just far enough from the main drag that you don't have quite as much noise. I partialy chose this hotel for the air conditioning. It is just too hot this summer to go to a hotel without it.

I bought my hotel room on their website hoping that I was not going to get a room on the 4th floor, which you have to walk up to from the 3rd floor. We have an infant and I like to take her stroller to the room.

Well, we ended up on the fourth floor in a smaller room. The room was small, and had the funniest little side room off to the side (it was in the tower). I think the hotel staff put us in there because they knew we had a kid, and I could see where kids would like that room. Our daughter just isn't old enough to fully appreciate it. It was truly a Mackinac experience.

I loved that the hotel had bike rentals right in front. Then you didn't have to deal with the long lines at other locations. While I wouldn't stay here again, it was a fine experience. I would still recommend it to people over places without air conditioning.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Grand is more famous. Mission Pointe is a little more secluded. The Main Street hotels are right in the middle of everything. But the Island House has it all. It's extremely convenient to downtown. The front lawn is great for relaxing with a view of the harbor. And it's quiet.

We stayed in one of the suites in the back that is over the pool and Grill. The delivery area for bags from the ferries and sundries for the hotel was right below our window ad well. We were never bothered by any noise.

We traveled there over the 4th of July week with three children in tow and everyone enjoyed the stay. As with most places on Mackinac Island, there is a price premium but the Island House is well worth it.

columbus, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed using a groupon deal for 2 nights. I was concerned after reading prior negative comments. We had a lovely stay. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The included breakfast was well staffed and had many options. We used our dining credit at the Pool House restaurant which had some of the same menu items as the main restaurant but at a much lower cost. We enjoyed the outdoor patio that was offered. I would recommend the Island House Hotel and would stay there again too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel was beautiful and relaxing. Exactly what we were looking for. We had the package that included breakfast, which was delicious.
The staff in the hotel was very friendly and helpful.
The staff at the bicycle rental on the hotel property however, were not very helpful at all so we used a different place.
Overall it was a perfect nights stay at the Island House, the room and location were perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Island House Hotel was the perfect get away location on Mackinac Island. The hotel is lovely with a refined gracious charm. The location is perfect, it over looks the harbor and lighthouses and is very close to all the downtown attractions. The porch, with it's rocking chairs, is a perfect spot to relax and watch the world pass by. The breakfast buffet is quite extensive and excellent. Also, do not miss the opportunity to have dinner in their restaurant, the food is absolutely wonderful. Our room, while on the 4th floor and a bit of a haul, was quite delightful and we had views of the harbor and Fort Mackinac. We thoroughly enjoyed our room and the stay at the hotel and look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: The elevator only goes to the 3rd floor, if your room is on the 4th floor, you will need to take the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We booked a last-minute two-night stay at the Island House. Our family of three (2 adults, one child) stayed in a room with two double beds.

The good:

The room was cheerfully decorated (yellow wallpaper, blue paint, flower bedspread) with a retro vibe, but small, kind of like staying in a bedroom at grandma's house. Our room looked out on the garbage can in the alleyway between our hotel and the next building - if I had booked in advance, I would have been peeved, but you can't complain with a last-minute reservatrion. The plus was that we got to see the horse-drawn garbage cart come through every day, which was actually cool. The double beds seemed small to us - I saw the term 'double bed' in the hotels.com booking screen, but I honestly thought they must have been referring to queen sized. I didn't think there were double beds in hotels rooms anymore. Ah well, live and learn.

The location was lovely. Hotel looks out over the harbor, but doesn't have the noise from the downtown street. The veranda is beautiful. We paid slightly over 100 for three people for a day renting bikes from the bike kiosk at the hotel.

The breakfast was nice (real food, not 'continental'), and the dining room has huge, beautiful windows. It never seemed crowded, even though we stayed 4th of July week.

The bad:

I expected a hotel this size to either have laundry service or a place where people can wash clothes. Wrong on both counts. The front desk offered to have the maid take our clothes to get washed, which was nice, but they couldn't guarantee if they'd be done by the time our stay ended, so I declined.

This is an old building, and we were on the first floor. When the folks upstairs walked around, it sounded like a herd of elephants were walking on the floor. I actually think it was a little kid running upstairs, but it was distracting at first.

Some of the folks working there were very nice and polite - others were impatient and acted put out when asked simple questions.

We went on Shepler's ferry, and they assured us that our bags would be delivered to the hotel automatically. However, when we arrived, my husband saw his bag on a taxi going to another hotel - if he hadn't caught that mistake, I'm sure we'd still be looking for it. We had to round up our bags ourselves (three bags, and they were in three different locations on the dock) and make arrangements for them to go to the hotel ourselves.

We stayed at the Mission Point Inn before, and we expected the Island House to have the same taxi service. We didn't realize how close it was (you can walk it in about 5 minutes from Sheplers, carrying your bags), but it was extremely hot when we arrived, and main street was very crowded. Not a great experience.

I paid $371 from two nights 4th of July week., btw.

I would go back, but next time I'll reserve a larger room.

Room Tip: Watch your bags carefully when you get off the ferry!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!