We just returned from a three night stay at the Harbour View Inn on Mackinac Island for our first wedding anniversary. We weren't sure what to expect as numerous friends had said that the accomodations on the island were outdated and wouldn't compare to our honeymoon suite in Hawaii, but we were very pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The inn was maybe a quarter mile from the ferry docks and upon checking in we were told that our luggage had beat us to our room and we had walked straight to the inn from the boat! (The same held true with checkout, we checked out twenty minutes before the ferry was to leave and the porter got our luggage to the dock with time to spare.) The inital view from the road was absolutely breathtaking and the staff could not be more welcoming. The location was fabulous as well -- close enough to downtown to get around without hiring a taxi, yet far enough not to be bothered by the noise of the city. We asked for an upgrade to an air conditioned room but were denied as all rooms were reserved during our stay. Honestly though, with the ceiling fan on and the door open to the balcony, the breeze was plenty enough to keep us cool. Breakfast was like the other review stated, no protein, but we found the pubs downtown to be reasonably priced and we never went hungry.
The staff as I said before were phenominal, we inquired about a nice restaurant for our anniversary dinner and they graciously obtained reservations and taxi service for a meal we won't soon forget at Woods. It was reasonably priced for the quality at $20 - $30 a meal, with a courteous and attentive staff, and a "no tipping" policy that couldn't be beat! We also learned from another passenger on our taxi (they weren't private as we also did not know) that if dressed appropriately people not staying at the Grand Hotel can take advantage of their evening activities without paying the $12 fee for stepping foot on the grounds; it started at 8 o'clock with demi tasse and a harpist, and at 9 the harpist stopped and a big band roared for drinks and dancing in the ballroom. It is definitely worth looking into for a special night out!
But back to Harbour View... Our room was cleaned daily, the housekeeping staff that we passed in the halls always carried a smile, and our bathroom looked freshly renovated. My only negative comments would be that the king size bed was quite hard with only two pillows and the wallpaper (we stayed in 2204) was a bit wild and not recommended for the chlostrophobic. If we ever return to Mackinac Island we will definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located a short walk from the best attractions on Mackinac Island, yet away from the bustling traffic of downtown. Our relaxing hotel complex offers a variety of rooms in four different buildings and complimentary breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Harbour View Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour View Hotel Mackinac Island
- Harbor View Hotel
- Harbor View Mackinac Island