“Small Garden View King in the main house” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour View Inn

Save Saved
You added Harbour View Inn to your Saves list
Harbour View Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6860 Main Street, PO Box 1207, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Mackinac Island
Chicago, Illinois
“Small Garden View King in the main house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Booked this accommodation about 6 weeks out and indicated that we'd be celebrating our 40th anniversary when I made the online reservation. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting to be given the smallest garden view room, a tiny balcony with two chairs that was made even smaller by the air conditioning unit that protruded into the space, and no screen on the window......so much for experiencing the wonderful breeze off the lake. After spending our anniversary night dealing with the noisy air, a tv remote that didn't work until we later discovered that one of the batteries had been put in backwards, and the radio alarm clock that woke us sometime after 1 a.m.... things did improve a bit. Decided to open the screenless window after we turned out the lights and retired on nights 2 & 3 and no bugs or bats invaded our space.... lake breeze at last!

On a positive note, the common areas in the inn are lovely and spacious and we did enjoyed many hours on the large second floor porch that overlooked the main street and the lake beyond reading and people watching during our three day stay. The location is excellent being one of the last tourist properities before Mission Point and away from the maddening crowds closer to the downtown shops and ferry terminals.

Attempted to rent bikes from the inn our second morning on the island only to discover that their maintenance was poor. After spending about 10 minutes trying to inflate a flat tire on one and then the other of the two available guys' bikes, we gave up and went up the street to a bike shop.

The complimentary continental breakfast was rather basic......self serve with cold cereals, breads & bagels, yogurt, and limited fruit options. Two juices, milk, coffee, and tea were also included. I would recommend coming down early as the staff does not continue to resupply the foodstuffs after the 'daily quota' has been reached.

The luggage crew provided one of the most positive contacts we had while staying at Harbour View. A porter was on the dock with our luggage before we disembarked the ferry and transported it safely to the inn by the time we were able to make our way down following his good directions. Likewise, we discovered that we were able to leave our luggage in the room on the day we departed and call Harbour View 30 minutes before we were ready to reboard the ferry.......and our luggage arrived with time to spare!

Perhaps my expectations were a bit high considering that we were celebrating a special anniversary, for in all fairness, this was our first stay at Harbour View Inn..... I guess we'll never know as we do not intend to repeat the experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Maumee, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My wife and I have stayed the last two years (after Labor Day) and had a great stay at the Bed & Breakfast next door to the main Inn. We had a room in front with a (somewhat obstructed) view of the lake and downtown...beautiful. See photos from the stairs/mini deck in front which is accessible from the outside. The rooms have been recently renovated and very nicely decorated with a brand new bathroom top to bottom. It did not feel like a hotel room, had multiple windows and lots of natural light. Great mattress too.

The location is close enough to town to take a 10 min walk into town for dinner & shopping but away from the noise of Downtown. Just enough Ferry horn noise to be quaint. They will put bike rental on your room bill which I found a big convenience. We'll be back!

To enjoy Mackinac Island, you must get away from downtown during the day. Walk the unpaved "Tranquil Bluff Trail" on the east side of the island and you will get some unbelievable views of the Straits and Lake Huron.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a two-night stay at the Harbor View Inn. We weren't sure what to expect, as the hotel's rates are less than some of the others on the island. The Inn exceeded our expectations. We had a "harborview" room with a king bed and a private balcony. (Please note that not all harborview rooms their own balconies.) The room was spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated in a Victorian theme. The balcony was huge and had a wonderful view of the water. The towels were super white and fluffy. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

If there were downsides to our stay, it would be these: The inn still uses old-fashioned keys rather than programmable cards. Breakfast was very basic: cereal, toast, muffins and fruit. My husband and I aren't big breakfast people and even we would have liked more.

The location was terrific. The inn is located a short walk from the busy downtown area. It is close enough to be easily accessible, but far enough away to have a quiet, residential feel.

We loved our stay at the Harbor View Inn!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed in the carriage house and I thought it was very nice. We had a nice size room and it was clean. The only thing that disappointed me was that we paid for a garden/courtyard room but we had a very small window behind the chair so it wasn't worth it to have a "view." The location was nice. Only a couple of blocks to the docks and the downtown area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bray
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Great hotel - I stayed in the B&B next door. Really good value, considering the island is soooo expensive. Great big bed, lovely bathroom with a side view out on to the Marina - so that you can hear the ferries coming in and out.

I sadly had to do a morning's work in the very nice lounge. Free wireless access - what more could a business traveller want?

The reason I felt compelled to write a review... I misplaced my Skype headset either in the room or the lounge. I mentioned it when I checked out. I've been home two weeks now and the headset arrived this morning - most unexpectedly. WHAT GREAT SERVICE!!

Thank you - a great stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Trenton MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I would not have a wedding reception here. The reception is held in the hotel breakfast room. Of course they charge you to dress it up a bit. The bar rate was over the top and we had to provide the liquor. The salad was served with out the dressing, I guess they forgot it.. The portions are very small my entree consisted of a 3 oz piece of cold salmon and two thin slices of zucchini. Very over priced they nickel and dime you to death. We had to provide our own music, no DJ allowed here. Any dancing is done on a brick patio. Stay off the island for your wedding.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Oshkosh, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Harbor View on two occasions. The first time was a bit last minute and we had a room in the B&B property next door. Room was small but cozy, no AC in the summer (80+ degrees) but, generally not too hot at night on Mackinac with a breeze. Staff helped me arrange flowers for a celebration which was great. Also helped arrange a carriage ride which was entertaining and informative, our guide was excellent. B&B is a bit old and creaky but was nice nonetheless. Beware, there was 1 room that had a bathroom across the hallway, I believe.

Second time we stayed in the building behind the main property and had a garden view. We did have a corner room that provided little garden view, but was acceptable since it was very spacious & had a nice balcony area. We had a scare with the luggage from the ferry but it turned out to be a miscommunication between employees. Kudos to the employee who went back searching for our luggage and asking around to other bellboys, unfortunately they had it in their lobby the whole time!

Liked the location just outside of crowded main street, & Continental breakfast was good. It is a nice property with large front lawn area and lounge chairs, etc in the garden area. Found it to be much more relaxing than downtown. Mackinac had a surprisingly active nightlife, saw some good live music. I would recommend bringing your own bikes if possible and checking out some of the lesser used trails in the park areas. Yankee Rebel Tavern had great food and relaxed atmosphere. 1850's room (not sure on name) at the Island House had an excellent prime rib when we went the first trip, good also the second trip.
Service on the island was just average both times around, lots of seasonal and foreign employees. Some was excellent and other times nonexistant, but no different than most tourist areas.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Harbour View Inn? Share your experiences!