Booked this accommodation about 6 weeks out and indicated that we'd be celebrating our 40th anniversary when I made the online reservation. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting to be given the smallest garden view room, a tiny balcony with two chairs that was made even smaller by the air conditioning unit that protruded into the space, and no screen on the window......so much for experiencing the wonderful breeze off the lake. After spending our anniversary night dealing with the noisy air, a tv remote that didn't work until we later discovered that one of the batteries had been put in backwards, and the radio alarm clock that woke us sometime after 1 a.m.... things did improve a bit. Decided to open the screenless window after we turned out the lights and retired on nights 2 & 3 and no bugs or bats invaded our space.... lake breeze at last!
On a positive note, the common areas in the inn are lovely and spacious and we did enjoyed many hours on the large second floor porch that overlooked the main street and the lake beyond reading and people watching during our three day stay. The location is excellent being one of the last tourist properities before Mission Point and away from the maddening crowds closer to the downtown shops and ferry terminals.
Attempted to rent bikes from the inn our second morning on the island only to discover that their maintenance was poor. After spending about 10 minutes trying to inflate a flat tire on one and then the other of the two available guys' bikes, we gave up and went up the street to a bike shop.
The complimentary continental breakfast was rather basic......self serve with cold cereals, breads & bagels, yogurt, and limited fruit options. Two juices, milk, coffee, and tea were also included. I would recommend coming down early as the staff does not continue to resupply the foodstuffs after the 'daily quota' has been reached.
The luggage crew provided one of the most positive contacts we had while staying at Harbour View. A porter was on the dock with our luggage before we disembarked the ferry and transported it safely to the inn by the time we were able to make our way down following his good directions. Likewise, we discovered that we were able to leave our luggage in the room on the day we departed and call Harbour View 30 minutes before we were ready to reboard the ferry.......and our luggage arrived with time to spare!
Perhaps my expectations were a bit high considering that we were celebrating a special anniversary, for in all fairness, this was our first stay at Harbour View Inn..... I guess we'll never know as we do not intend to repeat the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located a short walk from the best attractions on Mackinac Island, yet away from the bustling traffic of downtown. Our relaxing hotel complex offers a variety of rooms in four different buildings and complimentary breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Harbour View Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour View Hotel Mackinac Island
- Harbor View Hotel
- Harbor View Mackinac Island