“home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour View Inn

You added Harbour View Inn to your Saves list
Harbour View Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6860 Main Street, PO Box 1207, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Springfield, Missouri
“home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Harbour view at the end of June. It was still cool in the mornings and very comfortable other times. There are several buildings, our room was in the Bed and Breakfast. Breakfast is served at the main hotel lobby dining room and at the bed and breakfast and you can take your pick, but everyone from the hotel and both other buildings goes to the hotel dining room, so i recommend eating at the bbed and breakfast reguardless of the building you are staying in. It is quiet and slow paced there and you can make a cup of tea and sit out on the front porch and watch as the town slowly comes awake in the mornings. I'm not sure whether its the hotel or just Macinac that makes it an Excellent - probably Macinac - location, location, location. This Inn is close enough to the docks to walk, far enough from the Downtown to be out of the shopping crowd.

The room rates were reasonable compared to other places on Macinac, which is very pricy. We were not willing to pay +$300 a night for the Grand, much less $10 just to walk on their porch. Our room was comfortable with a full bath with tub, cable TV. This hotel is a moderate walk down the main street from the ferry docks. We planned ahead to carry only hand luggage for two overnights on the ferry and were easily able to carry our own bags to the hotel, just ask locals for directions. With heavier luggage you can get a carriage ride to and from with horse-drawn or bicycle porters to carry your baggage. I think we saved time by just walking. The town is small and easy to walk around in.

Room Tip: It's low tech, the building we were in was a walkup, so inquire if you need an elevator. Like I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Wallingford, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Just outside the busy part of town, but still close to everything. Room was spacious, comfortable and sink/vanity separate from toilet room was a plus. Had nice cool weather, so didn't need a/c, but had plenty of flying insects join use (probably got in around window a/c.) The screen seemed perfect in the window we had open.
Breakfast room is somewhat tight, but patio provides for overflow. Property is charming and all personnel were helpful and very friendly.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wyoming, Michigan, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband & I stayed at Harborview June 26th through the 29th. All I can say is everything was awesome. We stayed in the Carriage House. The room was very nice & very clean. No dust any where or dirt. The bed which was a King size very comfortable. We loved the balcony. Each room had its own balcony. We ate dinner on the balcony & in the evening hung out on the balcony. The staff was very nice & friendly. And to top it off free breakfast every morning. Deluxe continental breakfast. Everything except meat which was ok because everything else fills you up. We have been visiting Mackinac Island over 20 yrs. We have stayed in other hotels but they didn't compare to Harborview. If I could give them a 10 I would.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room on the 2nd floor which is behind the main building we were surrounde...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Freeport, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We loved Harbour View Inn Bed and Breakfast. Our room was to the front toward the street where we could enjoy the sounds clip clip of the horses feet passing by. We had 4 windows which we opened up to a wonderful breeze. The king size bed was very comfortable and the place was very clean. We loved the front porch where we sat and relaxed several times. We loved the location because it is not right in main flow of stores but only about 3 to 5 minutes walk to them. Breakfast was not hot breakfast besides toast and oatmeal but plenty of breads, fruit, muffins, juice and coffee.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

When planning our trip to the island, I already knew that the rooms there are very pricey. I searched by price then and found the Harbour View Bed and Breakfast.
No, it is not in the main building as pictured. This is something management should indeed correct. However the B&B is directly next door. It was a very charming older Main Street home. Beautifully furnished, comfy beds, nice bathrooms with great shower pressure (something you often find as an issue in older homes).
Be aware though, there are several narrow flights of stairs up to the guest rooms. Also, there is no air conditioning. We did not need it as it was a beautiful June day/night during our visit.
It is also very convenient to be able to rent well maintained bikes right there for our island tour with our out of state guests.
Overall, I would stay there again. Good value on spendy Mackinac Island.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Spent one night - June 16, 2014 - at the Harbour View Inn with another senior couple. BEWARE: 1) They immediately charge your credit card at the time of booking and 2) there are two buildings not just the original shown in online photos. Both have many stairs inside and no ADA accommodations to reach the rooms which are all above the 1st floor. Both buildings have MANY steps to reach the front entrance with only the original bldg having a highly sloped outdoor ramp with no stairs. The 2nd bldg requires climbing stairs to access the outdoor ramp. Both buildings are old homes converted into B&B with no soundproofing between rooms which are VERY small. We had a difficult time finding a space for our 2nd SMALL suitcase. Also no A/C although a box fan was in the closet. We were there in mid June and our room was VERY warm. I felt sorry for those on the two floors above us. Breakfast was very standard - nothing special. Luggage transport to and from the ferry was outstanding. Our 1st visit to the Island, and we had no idea how far the walk was to the Inn. One in our party of 4 had knee issues, and we ended up paying for carriage rides (not an inexpensive option for 4 people) to save walking so much. I'd recommend researching the location of accommodation prior to booking on the Island. Two of us are very fit walkers and still found the inside stairs daunting! We never saw a pool if there was one. Front desk did recommend an outstanding restaurant for dinner, Yankee Rebel Tavern, which I will review on it's own. The dinner was the highlight of our trip and made up for the inconveniences of the Harbour View Inn.

Room Tip: Check the distance of accommodation from the ferry and be sure luggage transfer is included.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a bus trip deal through my job. I went on Trip Advisor to review the hotel before booking the trip. this is an average hotel. no thrills, no frills. The room was average. I liked the cotttage styled feel of the room. However what I did not like was the TUBE TELEVISION (I didn't know they still existed). I know I am on vacation, but every now and again I would like to spend some downtime in the room and stream Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, or Hulu via Chromecast, Roku, Laptop, etc. Tube TV= unacceptable. There were also limited channels available, maybe 15 channels max (not that I could see what was on because the picture was so bad). Also, there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. I travel alot and I am used to staying in Marriott and Hilton chains. I have become used to having certain things as standard. I never got a good night's rest. the bed was too soft, the pillows were too soft (I stacked up 4 of them and they all went flat). Additionally, there were holes in the sheets, and a stain on the white bedspread. I was on the 1st floor of the guest house and I could hear the people above me walking and running around. I don't like the communal patio where people continued to walk past my patio door giving me very little privacy if I wanted to get some fresh air into the room. The "free" breakfast was nothing more than a ton of carbs. muffins, cakes, breads, bagels, cereal (and milk that was in a drink dispenser- I guess I don't get a choice of what kind of milk I want with my cereal). there was yogurt, extremely hard boiled eggs, and flavorless canteloupe and watermelon slices. I basically saved my appetite for lunch. If I go back to the island I will stay at a resort that will accomodate me preparing my own meals. There was a very nice grocery store just on the edge of the downtown area that will allow me to do just that. The overall campus of the Harbor View Inn was very nice, beautiful actually. I liked relaxing on the front porch of the Big House, and the customer service was wonderful. The location was just right. It was just a short walk from the Arnold Ferry dock to the hotel and from the hotel to the Carriage Ride Tour pickup. I like that we are one the edge of the residential community, which cut down on allot of tourist traffic. I also like that the hotel offered carrier service for our luggage to and from the Ferry dock.

Room Tip: choose a room on an upper level if you are staying in the guest house. also, bring a laptop so that...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Harbour View Inn? Share your experiences!