“Loved everything about it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lilac Tree Suites & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
You added Lilac Tree Suites & Spa to your Saves list
7372 Main St., Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Greenville, SC
“Loved everything about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We couldn't have asked for a better hotel! The best location! Get a balcony if you can. The beds were so comfy and the room was huge! Close to everything! Easy access to the ferry, carriage rides, restaurants. I could have just stayed on the balcony and people watched! We definitely will come again!

Room Tip: Get a balcony if you can! Great view right in the heart of downtown. Great view of the water.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I booked the Lilac for three nights for a business/personal trip. Quite honestly, we tried to book the Grand Hotel, but they were full because of the Proven Winners flower show. Where do I start? The second day we were there, there were four different power outages in the downtown area, lasting a combined 4-5 hours - the last one at approx. 9:15pm. Not the hotel's fault, but without the elevator, there was only a non-lit stairwell with bats. Yes, bats. When the lights went out (in the middle of the day), the bats came out in the darkened lobby of the hotel. Not cool - dodging bats in the middle of the day. The other big annoyance was the noise within the hotel. The walls are not paper thin - but cardborad, at best. The maintenance guy installing a new exit sign at 9:30pm outside our room was the topper. Really? That couldn't wait until morning? Basically, this was a very expensive place to sleep - when no one was in the hallways or maintenance was on a break. Oh, and the "Jacuzzi" was a bathtub with a jet. Not the romantic feature that I envisioned. "Hey honey, where do we set our wine glasses?" "On the toilet, I guess"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is great! My husband booked the Lilac Tree based on reviews and this was a great choice! It is located right in the middle of the busy part of town. We had a suite that faced the main street and we had a lake view that was beautiful. Every night we would sit on the balcony and people watch, it was a blast. The room was very clean and it was nice that the bedroom was on the opposite side of the room than the balcony so we could sleep in a little while the early morning work crews were out. The staff at the hotel were also very friendly and helpful. It is definitely worth it to stay on the island!

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony, the view is great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Lilac Tree is always a great place to stay. Perfect Location, Great Staff and Terrific views of downtown and the water. Always a can't miss place to stay. Additionally, it has easy access to all destination spots on the island and centrally located to restaurants and pubs. Also, don't forget to go down to the Pink Pony (affiliated property) for the hot tub, entertainment and dockside dining.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Macomb
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on Fodders, Google and Trip Advisor and I thought that with an overall rating of 4 plua stars that this hotel would be a good fit for my family. That was definitely NOT the case. I don't typically write online reviews but felt I needed too for this hotel. We arrived to our room on 8/30 to be greeted by an overwhelming smell of deodorizer that had been used in our suite. After letting our room air out the smell did get a bit better. The room had just been cleaned and yet it still appeared dingy and dirty. The cabinet by the sink was missing paint and the bottom kick board was knocked loose and just sitting up against the cabinet. The carpet was stained, the wicker chairs in the suite were worn out and the huge over sized jacuzzi tub offered a discolored gold faucet. The lobby to the hotel is small and the baggage room barely held all the luggage for my party of 5. The elevator is located on the outside of the lobby entrance so you access it from the corridor that is lined with gift shops which means anybody shopping those stores have access to the elevator that leads to the hotel rooms. Had I known this prior to my arrival, I would have definitely PASSED on booking this hotel for safety reasons. There is a safety latch on the door once your inside of the rooms but without a safe in the room, that really didn't help us once we left to go sight seeing. We needed additional towels because they only provided us 4 so we called the front desk to get more. When they didn't show up with them, my husband ended up trying to locate somebody from the hotel to get them for us. He ended up on the third floor to try an locate somebody to get us the towel only to find the linen room open for us to take whatever we needed. He did notice that sitting right on top of the counter appeared to be an access key card that the staff must use when cleaning the rooms. He was not happy that the linen room was left unlocked and that anybody could have had access to everything in that room including whatever doors that key card opened. Not Cool AT ALL!! In the evening, the staff does bring you cookies and milk around 7:30 pm in the evening. They do knock on your door and if you don't answer, they come into your room with their access key. They bring you packages of Oreo cookies and they pour you a glass of milk which they walk around with from room to room carrying. You would think they would at least give you a single serve small milk container to go with your cookies but they are pouring milk into glasses and leaving them in your room while you are out. It was difficult to sleep for all of us because the noise from the floor above us was non stop. We could hear anybody accessing their room, walking, and the kids who were running at all hours of the day and night. The air conditioning in the room was difficult to control and it was either ice cold in our room or very hot. I did speak to the young lady at the front desk about my issues and she did apologize for the inconveniences. If this had not been labor day weekend I would have packed my family up and went to another hotel. We paid $280 for the first night( which seemed fair) but then caught labor day weekend where the cost jumped to $370 a night. I have stayed in some fantastic rooms for $370 a night and this place isn't one of them

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Specifically, the Lilac Tree is what you want..it overlooks the middle of downtown with it large balconies...my family loves being woke up to the clip clop of the early work horses..the vantage point is par none as one can see the entire street and all of the festivities...One final Rant..this is a sister hotel to the Pink Pony ..and its lake side large hot tub with waitress for food and drinks..nothing like it ..watching my boys tap the Pink Pony beach balls with "friends" they just met has become a yearly highpoint in my life..I love this Island and the TREE is the easiest to help maximize your time and get the most out of your vacation..!

Room Tip: as for a room over the street
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was hesitant to book the lilac tree thinking it would be loud being downtown and I was definitely wrong. It was perfect in every way. It has the charm and décor of hotels of the "era" but hot the mustiness or old feeling of other older hotels. I chose a room in the back and it was perfectly quiet. It didn't have a view but was conveniently located next to the stairs out. It was very clean. This hotel is fantastic for larger parties or families especially if you have any "early risers" or "late nighters." As the bedroom and living room are separated by a long hallway (with bathroom) and pocket doors. So early risers can get up early and have coffee and not disrupt the other guests (not having to ready by flashlight while others are sleeping is a plus). And with a TV in both rooms, kids can watch Disney while the adults enjoy a movie. The décor is great . I was impressed with the bedding - very high quality bedding, not the thin stuff in other hotels, and perfectly matched the décor. The two tables (one coffee, one dining) was another plus, much room for our family skipbo tournament late at night. My room also had a microwave which worked well to heat up doggie bags from the hotels. The "back door" entrance onto Market street (with bike parking) was an unexpected bonus, made navigating both main and market streets easy. I loved the hot coffee, ice water and apples for hotel guests in the lobby a great touch, especially after all the biking, water and apples were refreshing. You won't be disappointed with this hotel. The price was similar to many others on the island, I just think you get so much more with this hotel. If you want a very clean, updated, centrally located hotel with air conditioning that can accommodate larger (4) parties well and offers a feeling of luxury this hotel is for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lilac Tree Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!