“Love it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Iroquois

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Iroquois to your Saves list
Hotel Iroquois
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7485 Main Street, PO Box 456, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Westfield, Indiana
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I have come back each June to the Iroquois. We love it! It's a charming location right on the water. It is at the end of the main street and so it is quiet and truly beautiful. The porters, Zach & David, will quickly handle all luggage and leave it (or pick it up) right in your room. There is really no need to carry anything on your own from the ferry. The rooms are air conditioned which can be a major plus. My only warning is that the staircases are narrow. If one has any health concerns regarding stairs, the first floor is a must, but I highly recommend the 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking the water. The Hotel Iroquois is a wonderfully romantic place!

Room Tip: Get a 2nd or 3rd floor room overlooking the water!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights in June. Things were still pretty slow on the Island, which made it all the better. Location is excellent ----- 5 minute walk from the ferry docks!!!! We had a third floor room (#303) overlooking Biddle Point and the Round Island Light. View was FANTASTIC!!!!!!! Room was large, with a smaller sitting area, decorated very nicely. Facilities inside and out were very nice, and staff was very polite and professional. The lobby area was very welcoming, with lots of seating (for breakfast), and the small porch was very peaceful in the morning. The only negative comments I have concerns the breakfast. It was pretty minimal considering the cost of staying there. OJ, coffee, and some small coffee cakes, that's all. They could have done so much better. Carriage House restaurant also is a nice facility, with good food and view of the water. Considering its reputation, my wife and I were a bit disappointed with the food (she had the whitefish, I had the Kobe beef).

Room Tip: Rooms on one side (e.g., 303) overlook the water, rooms on the other side overlook the town and isla...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aventura, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a beautiful, well maintained inn-type hotel perfectly located right on the water at the end of the shopping area. Our room was spacious and nicely furnished and decorated with brightly colored quality fabrics. Our room and the common areas were all clean and bright. We loved sitting on the porch watching the horses and carriages go by in the morning while we enjoyed our coffee. The place has more of a bed and breakfast feel than a hotel.

All of the staff were very helpful and were eager to offer suggestions on where to eat or what to do while on the island, etc They have the handling of the luggage down to a science and were there when we arrived at the dock to assist us getting the luggage to our rooms. The same was done on our departure.

One big issue was that there is no elevator and we were on the third floor. That became a problem because I hurt my leg and there were no other rooms available to change to as it was a holiday weekend. Our room faced the marina which was nice but also noisey as ferries were coming and going all day.

For the record, we had also wanted to stay at The Grand Hotel but our budget would not allow. We ended up being happier where we were. We liked our location and fellow guests better. We did visit The Grand Hotel for the high tea and were happy that we did not spring for their prices.

Room Tip: See above. Request a room on a lower level if mobility is an issue. If you are a late sleeper, get a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hotel took great care of us as my fiance told them he was planning on proposing. We had a beautiful suite with plenty of windows overlooking the lake. There is a bright pastel theme throughout the hotel, and the room was very pretty and clean. The location is on the edge of the part of the island with all the stores and ferries, so you're close to the shops but still have some quiet. The staff was very helpful and even wrapped up my bouquet of flowers so that I could take it back on the ferry. There's a continental breakfast every day with fresh baked goods; tasty! It was an amazing experience!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, chose Hotel Iroquois for our Mackinac Island stay this month from reviews on Trip Advisor. To be honest, we wanted to stay at The Grand Hotel since everyone says that's "THE" destination. However, we were soooo glad that The Grand was both a huge expense and solidly booked for our weekend get-away as we LOVED Hotel Iroquois and could not imagine being happier with a hotel choice! Our first surprise was how convenient the hotel was once we stepped off of the ferry. We turned to the left and a few shops down stopped to ask for directions to the hotel. The owner said, "Look out of that window," and to our surprise, the hotel was a few yards away! Hotel Iroquois is a lovely turn-of-the-century hotel (named, I understand, after a Chicago hotel in which the owner survived the great city fire) with decor of that period (Someone called the decor "seedy" and several others complained about the floral designs, etc.----Honestly, don't stay in a period hotel if you don't appreciate that period of history!). My husband and I booked a cut-rate room on special for Mothers' Day weekend and didn't expect to get the really lovely room that we got-----king bed with a magnificent view of the Lake Huron. Our friends traveling with us splurged a little more and booked a room in the tower-----OMG! It was totally amazing with a panoramic view of the docks and the lake and a sitting room in the tower to enjoy. We took full advantage of that for happy hour since we had several bottles of wine from visiting wineries on the mainland. Their room also had champagne and fudge awaiting them! Again, though, my husband and I were still thrilled with our gorgeous room for half the price. The rooms were spacious and spotless; bathrooms were nice and offered amenities; beds were comfortable; and the views were just spectacular. We enjoyed the parlor in the mornings for breakfast (fresh breads and pastries with juices and coffee) where we met other couples and chatted about our travels. The hotel staff members were helpful and courteous. Even the housekeeping staff always acknowledged us in the hallways. We were just ahead of the high season so the restaurant was days from opening----too bad! All we had to do was step out of the hotel for shops and restaurants. We did tour The Grand Hotel----worth the ticket to see, and also rented bikes just down from our hotel to ride the 8 mile road that runs all the way around the island. I hadn't ridden a bike (other than at the gym) in years, but loved doing that and seeing 360 degrees around the island. By the way, someone from the hotel brought our luggage from the ferry to our hotel room (There are no elevators, and we were on the 3rd floor.) and came back and retrieved our bags and checked them onto the ferry for our departure. It doesn't get any easier than that!!!!! Obviously, we loved this hotel and our island experience and will stay at Iroquois again if we are lucky enough to return to Mackinac!

Room Tip: If you want to splurge a bit, go for the tower rooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Iroquois from May 14th - 16th. This is a truly beautiful property. Our room had two queen beds and it had a lovely view of Lake Huron. The turn-down service was an unexpected treat. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. My only complaints were not enough bath towels and one of the lights on either side of the bathroom mirror needed a bulb...it was burned out. However, both of these issues, I'm certain, would have been remedied quickly had I said something to the front desk employees, which I forgot to do, which tells you how inconsequential it was. The bathroom had a swing-out magnifying mirror mounted on the wall which was fantastic for putting on makeup, and a blow dryer. It was a tad chilly on the island when we visited, and the heat in the room was more than adequate. This hotel has a complementary continental breakfast with coffee and muffins as well. I have stayed at The Grand Hotel, and I actually like this property better. Kudos to the staff!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have stayed at several hotels on Mackinac Island. Hotel Iroquois is by far the best! Start with the cleanliness, by far the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at-anywhere. I tried to find dust in the corners...not a chance would love to know their secret.
The staff is superb, reminiscent of how customer service and attention to detail used to be.
Relaxing in the many sitting areas is refined and elegant. Morning coffee...perfect.
The beds were cozy and comfortable, add the water lapping the shore beneath you for the perfect nights sleep.
I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to the most discriminating traveler!

Room Tip: Any room on the third floor that faces the water...spectacular view! NOTE: no elevator, just stairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Iroquois? Share your experiences!