This was my second stay at the historic Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. The good stuff... beautiful surroundings, clean rooms and great proximity to the highlights of the island. Unfortunately, I continue to go there with high hopes and am somewhat dissapointed. First of all, the dining room service, while it has improved in the last four years, it's nothing special. The food is marginal at best, which is really surprising. The beautiful dining room and formal dress code wet your appetite for a special dining experience, but it is clearly not. If the dining room were it's own restaurant, I don't know why anyone would go there. We were there for three consecutive nights and they served the same rice as a side dish every night. They throw raw onions into everything which is just not a sign of culinary excellence (however this is just personal taste).
My biggest complaint is the concierge service. Being a concierge must be an easy job when you sit there and don't make any creative suggestions. They were consistently unapproachable with their rude "what do you want" vibe. They should really take a look at their staff and realize they are ambassadors for the hotel.
I'm torn because it's such a beautiful property and it's a pleasure to stay there. If only they didn't keep screwing it up!
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.