A stay at the Grand Hotel was to be an extravagant treat for my mother-in-law. We stayed in one of the most expensive rooms ($1,145/night-not including taxes) for three nights and thought we would get one of the fabulous rooms on the Grand's website decorated by Carlton Varney. We were incredibly surprised when we were escorted into the Jane Seymour room. The view was fantastic but the floor had multiple black stains, faded and worn cushions on the couch and chairs, and not-so-fabulous bedding. One thing I felt was strange was that we could not choose our room and, of course, the Jane Seymour room had no pictures online so one could see how bad it was. To add insult to injury, when we returned from our trip, I contact the Grand via the e-mail listed on its website and mentioned how upsetting it was to get such a disappointing room for the money we spent. I did not even get a response acknowledging my complaint.
I have pictures to upload which I will do when at home.
I will say the food was fanastic but would never again waste thousands of dollars for a room so disgusting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, TravelClick and Travelocity so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island