The hotel is lovely and our room was a good size and beautilfully decorated. The service was impeccable, especially in the dining room. It is a huge resort hotel with over 350 rooms and the dining room is the largest I have ever seen outside of a catering hall.
However, for what we paid for our American plan room, the food should not have tasted as if we were in a catering hall.
Also, we were not prepared for it being a convention hotel. We felt lost among the large groups that were everywhere..
We had looked forward to staying at the Grand for many years and had splurged to stay there. I'm sure those with large groups did not pay anywhere near what we did. We did not get our money's worth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island