“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   286 Grand Avenue, P.O. Box 286, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Mackinac Island
Miami Beach, Fl
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The hotel is lovely and our room was a good size and beautilfully decorated. The service was impeccable, especially in the dining room. It is a huge resort hotel with over 350 rooms and the dining room is the largest I have ever seen outside of a catering hall.
However, for what we paid for our American plan room, the food should not have tasted as if we were in a catering hall.

Also, we were not prepared for it being a convention hotel. We felt lost among the large groups that were everywhere..

We had looked forward to staying at the Grand for many years and had splurged to stay there. I'm sure those with large groups did not pay anywhere near what we did. We did not get our money's worth.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

1,154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Ishpeming, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at the Grand Hotel with our 16 month old son. It was a nice walk from the ferry to the hotel, despite the cool and damp weather, and our luggage was taken care of by porters. The gentlement that checked us in was extremely unfriendly and almost rude, but luckily this was the only bad experience with staff that we had. The rest of the staff - servers in the dining room, bell hops, house keeping - were friendly, welcoming, and very accommodating, especially with our son. We enjoyed getting dressed up for dinner (there is a dress code at the hotel after 6pm), walking the porch, and exploring the historic hotel. All-in-all, it was a great stay but not sure I would pay the expensive rate to stay again.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

The Grand Hotel was on my "bucket list" after seeing "Somewhere in Time". I waited almost 30 years to get there, but it did not disappoint! The setting in the movie was beautiful, but my arrival at the hotel was even more breathtaking than I could have imagined. Our room overlooked the lake and in the morning the sunrise was visible and the sunset was visible in the evening. The decor is impeccably done by Carlton Varney and from what I understand, no two rooms are alike. The rooms are spotless and the mint on the pillow was a nice touch every evening. Some people may balk at dressing for dinner every evening, but it provides an elegant atmosphere that seems to have vanished from our culture. After dinner, coffee is offered in the gorgeous lobby while a harpist plays for your enjoyment. Our visit to the Grand Hotel was elegant, charming, friendly, delightful, etc. It was so wonderful to hear the clip-clop of horses rather than honking of autos and fumes from noxious vehicles. Be prepared to sit back, relax, enjoy your meals, and breath for the first time in years in an environment you will want to hold onto for the rest of your life! Love, love, love the Grand Hotel!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

My family and I stayed for 2 nights in June at the Grand Hotel. When the hotel is busy your check in may not be available until 4:00 PM. As others stated this is an iconic hotel and you do get caught up in the early century vibe. Dinner attire is jacket and tie starting at 6:00 PM
The pool was open but it closes at 5:00 in the afternoon, due to the dress attire requirements starting at 6:00. I found leaving the beautiful pool area in the middle of a sunny day a difficult experience and also a bit odd. Room was very clean! Golf consists of two separate 9 hole courses and you take a horse buggy between the 9th and 10th holes. Pro shop staff is very professional and handles golf bag transfers to mainland flawlessly. I will mention that the hotel formal dinner was a little disappointing. Although it is probably due to the fact they are serving hundreds of people at the same time. After dinner was a small band that played 40's to 60's music. It was a little cheesy, sort of like dancing with the geriatric crowd. Explore the island, to me the major draw is the beauty of the island itself and rent a bike and go the 8 miles around the island.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My Mom and I stayed at the Grand Hotel for a mother-daughter trip. From the moment we arrived until we boarded the ferry back to the mainland, we were treated like family by the hotel staff. Nothing was too much trouble. We were able to truly slow down, relax and enjoy the old-world charm and grace that is so rare in a world overrun with strip malls and cookie-cutter subdivisions of McMansions. The food was unbelievable (formal 5-course dinner and hot breakfast from the menu or buffet). There was a very classy jazz band entertaining at dinner and lunch, an elegant lady playing harp in the gorgeous, comfortable lobby after dinner. We also enjoyed several art exhibits, concerts and plays and gorgeous sunsets from the front porch overlooking the bridge. We can't possibly thank the staff enough. We'll definitely be back!!!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Getting to this hotel was difficult. After flying into Traverse City and driving for 2+ hours I arrived to find the ferry boat closed for the night and had to get a room at a dirty local cheap chain motel. I caught the first ferry in the morning only to arrive at the hotel and face a rude front desk woman with major attitude who said I would have to wait until the general manager returned to see if they could provide me with a room, because they had cancelled my reservation.

I was provided with a handicapped room, which was okay, except the decor was terrible. Ugly wallpaper, ugly furniture. If you've seen the movie Somewhere In Time (a favorite) you'll recognize the decor - minus the charm - because it hasn't changed in the 30 years since. I felt like I was staying at a retirement home, and the fact that almost all staff are non-white and almost all guests white gave me a very uncomfortable servant/master feeling. The food in the dining room was good.

I suppose it would have helped if the weather was better during my stay but it was cold and rainy. I was disappointed in my stay at Grand Hotel.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bellaire, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our night's stay at the Grand Hotel. Even though we considered this the "off season", and it was a Sunday night, they had entertainment in a variety of places. The service is exceptional. Our room was very spacious and there was a good view of the water and grounds of the hotel. We would recommend visiting the Cupola Bar to take in the view. It is awesome! We had breakfast, which was very ample. Again, the service is wonderful. You are offered both a buffet and hot breakfast off a menu. It is well worth the expense for a special occasion, if you are not normally inclined to indulge in this type of expense for lodging.

Room Tip: Look for off season or pre-season deals