“Best Little "regular" restaurant on the island” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We are the smallest restaurant on Mackinac at twelve feet wide and forty feet long. We use fresh ingredients and have food delivered everyday.You can watch the cook/owner Don prepare your breakfast or lunch right in front of you.
Gwinn
“Best Little "regular" restaurant on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've been a big fan of the Chuck Wagon way back to Jesse's Chuck Wagon Days. I read some of the other reviews and must say a few things. First, you are on Mackinac Island - a unique tourist location ironically at the very crossroads of fur traders and Natives back to the 1600's. There are no vehicles here. Your food probably came across with you on the ferry or the Arnold cargo transport earlier in the day or week. There is an abundance of eateries with unique fare, many of which I enjoy as often as I can on our annual trips to Mackinac Island. So, if you are looking for lobster and crab omelette - it's up the street, to the left at another super place. This is your regular restaurant with eggs, burgers and sandwiches. They are all excellent! Always well cooked and watching a short order cook work that grill when it's busy is a marvel every time I've seen it done. Food, service and price are above par - especially price in a place where fudge sells for more a pound than your burger and fries. (did I mention there's just a few fudge shops?)
Finally, what I love about this little place (it's small) is if you have some time to just sit and sip your coffee - you will get caught up on what is happening, who just arrived for the summer or left for the winter, and all the local society information. This is a tight knit little community that as I sit in February and type this, has a population of probably less than 400 for the entire winter - and you can't just hop in your jeep and drive away - you are there and there you stay. So, the stories you hear are funny, and unique to this little place. Order a regular meal and just sit back and enjoy. I will eat at the Grand, I'll bike all the back roads, I'll check out all the gardens - but the highlight of my trip is breakfast or lunch at the Chuck Wagon. I hope it never goes away!

• Visited July 2013

Mount Pleasant, Michigan
“Forever my favorite Island restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I absolutely love this place. I've worked on the Island for the last three summers and I go to the Chuck Wagon at least once a week. The food is very cheap and extremely tasty! I love the breakfast burrito, but I'd honestly be happy with anything from the menu, that's how good everything is. I love the atmosphere, the food, the people, everything. And the staff is always so friendly! They are cheerful even during the summer heat and when lines are out the door. Once I left my wallet in a booth there and one of the owners tracked me down at my work location to give it back, before I had even realized it was missing! It is amazing how they are willing to go above and beyond to ensure their customers have a good experience.

• Visited August 2013
Topsfield, Massachusetts
“good but not the wow that some people claim”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

the food was served fast and was good. there was really nothing we disliked, it was more just and average breakfast for a good price

Visited September 2013
Michigan
“The perfect burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Fun little spot right on Main Street. Fast friendly service with delicious fresh food. We sat at the counter and watching the grill cook was magical perfection. He should be on Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. A great hometown favorite as well as a fantastic lunch for all the of the visitors.

• Visited August 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“Casual and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My hubby and I ate here as it is rated #1 on TA. What a fun little casual place. Being the offseason, we had NO wait. I had a club sandwich. Pretty boring and basic, as sandwiches go, right? Not this one! How they made such an ordinary sandwich outstanding is, well, my semi-informed guess is perfectly hot, fresh, crisp bacon, on freshly toasted bread, everything so fresh you have to slap so it would behave! ( so sorry). Very friendly and efficient waitress. how can they be so unobtrusive in such a small restaurant? Their secret, I guess. Anyway, the best club sandwich I have ever eaten! My hubby had a hamburger, loaded with toppings, he loved his hamburger. Couldn't have been happier. And no stuffy formal restaurant for us.

• Visited September 2013