“Fun cheesy thrills” 5 of 5 stars

231-818-0527
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Not really a museum, but a haunted house that used to be the motion picture theature on Mackinac Island, Michigan.
Reuver, The Netherlands
12 attraction reviews
“Fun cheesy thrills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you want to have a good laugh, a bit of a thrill and are a kid at heart, definitely check this out. I've been going there for years and it just never gets old, even though the props are silly and it isn't REALLY scary. It's just plain fun!

Visited September 2011

“Scared out of my mind.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We bought our tickets promised by the old man that nothing would jump out at us or grab us and we trusted him but then we went to put our tickets in to what looked like a coffin and the top wood part jumped a little and I did as well. The guy laughed and that set the tone for the whole trip into the theatre. As we entered it was quite dark and we reached a point where you could go back and just leave but I decided to venture on and amused by the many wax figures that were very artistically molded and shaped but my friend and I always felt like something or someone was following us and not far behind and as we were aproaching the end of the theatre the figure that was following us and scaring us was more clear, I was grabed by the arm for a few short second and my hair was tousled a little as well, I jumped back and screamed and little. And then as we exited something was making strange noises and crawling on the ground. I saw it and immediatley dashed out of the building.I was scared so badly.

Grand Rapids, MI
7 attraction reviews
“Too scary for my 9 year old.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Too scary for my Daughter and my Husband thought it was old and cheesy. The exhibits are outdated and for the price it was just not worth it.

Visited July 2012
Frankfort
“R U SCARED?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It has great outside appeal to draw you in, but it is a weak and very short excursion through the theater. Not what i was expecting

Visited August 2012
Knob Noster, Missouri, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Return of the Runner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went to this place as a young boy about 35 or so years ago. My brother and I looked at the freaky "scenes" and figures and got to a point where a growl and gust of hot breath hit our necks! We ran. We didn't look back, we didn't hesitate - we ran for our lives. Something was behind us and wanted our blood - wanted to make us a permanent part of their freak show. We crossed a bridge that spanned a river of lava (that seems to be no longer in place at this time) and plunged out the exit. As we entered the blessed daylight, I heard a click. I immediatley went back in and found a hidden door in the wall where the "creature" re-entered the macabre maze.
Well, 35 years later and nearly 50, I had to try it again. So, I entered with the eyes of an adult and the expectations of a young boy. The "displays" seemed a little careworn and cheesy - especailly viewed through the CG (Computer Generated) saturated eyes of todays generation. They are still creepy in their primitiveness, their crudeness.
I did reach the point of the tour where my brother and I had the crap scared out of us. I did get the sudden, startling breath on the back of my neck. I didn't run, but walked, anticipating the "appearance" of the "creature" that I knew would come up behind me. Sure enough, the "creature" was at my back without a sound. I didn't run, but walked out with a big grin on my face. I had re-lived my boyhood past - a little sad that I had the eyes of experience to see it through, but happy for the memories that accompanied it.
I did do a little "investigating," pausing here and there during the tour to plumb hidden secrets, but I will not divulge them. I don't want to ruin the experience.
I encourage all to go, young and old.
As I stood at the foot of the steps leading up to the Haunted Theatre, I heard a scream and watched as two young boys emerged from the exit, stumbling, hanging off each other, looking back over their shoulders. The older one disengaged and stepped back into the exit. He had obviously heard the snick of the latch on the closing secret door where the beast re-entered the maze to terrify customers once again.
The Haunted Theatre lives (un-lives?) on for all.
Go. Get scared. And don't get caught.

Visited August 2012